Review Highlights
A place to find peace

The Monastery is a special place. In the midle of the forest and the mountains. You can stay for 2... read more

Reviewed 17 July 2019
raissaleporage
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
via mobile
meditation retreat

Buddha encourages everyone to be neutral, not to believe or disbelieve until something is proven to... read more

Reviewed 19 February 2019
Poonyaphachaiphrom
Bangkok, Thailand

Recommended experiences in and around Mae Hong Son
from US$68.60
from US$1,424.65
from US$68.59
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 October 2018

I broke my ankle on a motorbike on my way to Wat Pa Tam Wua. Upon arrival, the staff and guests could not have been more helpful or kind. Shout out to Mr. Pong, who was literally a miracle-worker--making sure I had the best experience possible despite my injury. The injury detracted from the experience, but when I was able to participate I had only powerful and positive experiences.

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank jetsetter032018
Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

In general i had a good time, i have some experience in Meditation but never commited to go to a retreat before, so i went to tam wua for an introduction. I read the rules before and was commited to follow them. I had a good time personally, i guess because it is not as strict as other places and catering more towards a foreign crowd to introduce them to vipassana. So I could go with my own pace. But I have to say i wish they were more strict, when arriving the first thing i see was a western woman in white robes standing outside to sneak out for a cigarette which usually should lead to a ban. Another night a guy sneaked out to drink alcohol, at least he got banned. The last night i had a guy outside his dorm playing his drum he brought along at Ten PM. I had the impression that many foreign visitors treat tam wua as a place to relax or some Kind of free resort. I had a lot time time to practice dealing with my anger towards others disrespectfulnes which actually was a good practice by itself. This is just my way of seeing it though. Most people i met were lovely but I am afraid the influx of non commited people going there for "nice experience" might change the experience for others and change this lovely place in general.

Date of experience: September 2018
8  Thank MichaelJ6326
Reviewed 26 August 2018

I go every year in this temple for meditation. There is a large meditation hall open on the surroundings. Very good organisation, lovely vegetarian food, teachings in Englist and Tai. The day is divided in sitting, walking, lying mediatation, teachings , and some practical tasks. The rule is silence, except during meals, pauses and tasks. You're suposed to let all electronics turned of. I would recomand at least 5 days stay to really get into it.
BUT for there is a but, along the years there are more and more "tourists" i.e. people who come for one or 2 nights, do not respect the rules (talking on their phones in the meditation hall, talk loud during meals,point their feet to Budah -horrible for the Taï people, in a word showing no respect for the place or the other people).
It is not clear to me why the Abbott tolerates this.
One thing is sure I am going to return again next January but if There is no improvment I will find another p^lce in spite of the cact that is is a great place.

Date of experience: January 2018
11  Thank MCClimoges87
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Visiting Wat Pa Tam Wua is one of the best experiences I have had in Thailand. Wat Pa Tam Forest Monastery offers meditation retreats - there is no need to book. Just arrive. The monastery is set in the beautiful hills of North Thailand near Mae Hong Son. Minvans will drop you off at the entrance. It's midway between Pai and Mae Hong Son.

As a relative newbie to meditation, I learned so much about Samantha and Vipassana meditation. There were 20-30 other visitors there from all over the world with a range of mediation experience levels.

I would point out that you need to come with the right attitude. The monks and Abbott welcome visitors to teach about meditation practice - local and foreign. Respect their kindness and make the most of the experience. You will love it.

Date of experience: January 2018
9  Thank gregs81
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

The monastery is about 1km off the Pai - Mae Hong Son road and it's a piece of heaven! Open 365 days a year for Vipasana meditation, the monastery is very popular with both foreign and Thai people. Great teachings and everything is catered for your finding peace, concentration and wisdom. Vegan food is delicious (twice a day).... Accommodation is simple but confortable. Our only recommendation is to plan for a longer stay (a week or more) to give yourself a chance to learn and practice. No booking necessary and all transport information available on their website.

Date of experience: November 2017