“Comfort Noodles”
Review of La-mien.com

La-mien.com
Ranked #311 of 875 Restaurants in Ubud
Description: Japanese ramen house that adapted the indonesian nasi campur, (mixed rice) concept. Clients may choose from four different noodles mostly gluten free, and choices of toppings. A 5 grain brown rice is also available with any toppings. Try the Chu-hai cocktails made from medium strength vodka for only 25,000 rp. We cook without MSG and all our soy products are GMO free. Many vegetarian choices.
Reviewed 26 March 2017

If you are looking for some comfort noodle soup like ramen or pho, this is the place to go. The broth in the soup were surprisingly good. Check it out if you are craving ramen or pho. Its definitely not like eating ramen in Japan or eating pho in Vietnam, but the soups are delicious for being in the middle of Bali.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

... in any decent food town this would be less than mediocre, but in this barren Ubud food scene, we have to give it credit for trying. That's all we can say about this place: at least they try to make decent food, not a "magic elixir" or "immortal juice", which seems to be the only half-edible food in this town.

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

The place look cleaned with big window to look out while enjoy the food, which is a plus. I come in the early afternoon and try fried brown rice with miso soup which is really good. Many choice for japanese food.

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

I've been on a Ramen spirit journey for some time, so my expectations were high.

THE FOOD
A solid menu with anything an amateur Asian food lover could hope for. Gyoza, katsu, pho, etc. I came for the Ramen and ordered a pork katsu, fish patties and Thai pork dumplings (soi mai). The ramen was satisfying - I hadn't had any in weeks and it hit the spot. I had a shoyu style, as they don't serve tonkotsu, which is generally what I prefer. Thinking back, I can be a bit critical about it. The chiasu (pork) was top notch. The broth was fine, but way too salty and not subtle enough. The noodles were fine, but I think they were packaged noodles, not fresh, and I wasn't given a choice of hardness. Everything else about the Ramen was great and I said, I was very satisfied.
The pork katsu was waaaaay too thin, but it was fine. The fish patty was a bit too artificial for my tastes, but it was still good. The pork dumplings were good.

I had some green tea and a coconut, both excellent. I would return and next time I'll have miso ramen.

The atmosphere
Cozy, small and centrally located. The counter top seating really made it feel great, sitting and watching all the tourists go by living their individual lives. The decorating is all over the place. LA MIEN, means spicy noodles in Mandarin, the menu is full of Asian cuisine and the place is decorated with Naruto. So let's call it nouveau Japanese eclectic fusion, Whahah.

The service
Great, attentive and helpful. Big smiles and easy demeanor.

Ubud needs more proper Ramen joints, but LA MIEN will do nicely in the interim.

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend ordered chicken satay and was really upset when he got it. The portion was really small and it was even quite expensive.
The taste was ok but the price was definitely not worth it.

Been to La-mien.com? Share your experiences!