“Different Year, Same Result”
Review of Cafe Lotus

Cafe Lotus
Ranked #426 of 968 Restaurants in Ubud
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

I have had occasion to visit Cafe Lotus on a previous visit to Ubud, and thought I would give it another try.

This time sharing a seafood rijsttafel with my girlfriend. The food was tasty and mostly well prepared.. .albeit the tuna was well over cooked.

My problem as on my previous visit is the service. This restaurant has all the potential in the world and a 30+ year history. Most people seem awed by it. My issue of a repeat nature is the staff...of which there are large and ample numbers of. Our waiter was very obvious in that even while speaking to us he was distracted and looking across the restaurant at other tables only occasionally tearing his attention away and back to us. I would estimate that service accounts for 30% or more of the dining experience...of which through two visits now on different trips to Ubud to this restaurant has demonstrated a failure in this regard. In most respects this restaurant functions like a well oiled machine as exhibited by what I assume is the manager moving about the restaurant directing his staff.

So...while the food was alright the overall dining experience was once again severely damaged by staff who "just don't get it". This is exactly why I dislike so much, a system whereby a service charge is automatically included on your bill...what service? Well a bad service that is what.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,068)

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Went here for lunch with friends quit busy place the garden fantastic the meals where ok found it to be more expensive than other places we had been to and the staff are not very friendly and felt like we where being rushed to finish our meals.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

If you come here it will be for the location and ambience. There was also a Joged Dance that evening which I had to pay RP 80,000 for as my table was nearer to the stage. I love the location and sitting by the lotus pond, is just amazing. I remember the food was better during my previous visit some years back but I did not order the same food. Otherwise, the food is ok.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

This was the first restaurant we went to on arrival in Ubud. Recommended by one of our hotel staff. The food was nice enough and came quickly. The staff were nice enough. The setting was nice enough. Nice view over the lily pond and temple gardens. Food was a bit expensive compared to other places we went to. Enjoyable but nothing special.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

I want to give this place a higher rating because the location is beautiful. Right to the side of a major temple. Breathtaking. I recommend you sit in the Lotus pond area at a low table with pillows. Just beautiful. The drinks were good and the wine by the glass was good. The prices were not super high and there was a large international menu that featured Indonesian dishes. The staff was nice and accommodating.
The food was just not anything special and in the case of my dish... barely edible. One friend had the Indonesian prawn dish that she said was better the last time a week before. The other friend had a fried noodle dish. It was very average and lacked any spirit, I had a Balinese style pork. It was possibly the driest pork I have ever tried to eat. It was not twice cooked but 50 times overcooked...it was almost impossible to chew. The black sauce that coated the pieces had some good flavor but could not save the shoe leather it was served on. The spring rolls were fine. It was the eve of a big holiday and maybe it was not the normal kitchen staff. For atmosphere in the center of town I give this a 5 star, for food a 2 or 3.