All reviews excellent location the humble administrator's garden hotel restaurant within walking distance concierge china english
Reviewed 5 December 2016 via mobile

I chose this hotel mainly because of its scenic landscapes in the hotel. 2nd is the ultimate location right along the Pingjiang Road alongside the canal where there are multitude of shops and eateries.
I can only give 3.5 stars mainly I feel the hotel does not concentrate on details, esp the room. The room is huge and roomy, no doubt but the part concerned probably the bathroom. The uneven flooring and wall invite dirt to remain. My given room was ok but from previous review some got smelly bathroom which I believed it was true. Probably they need to brush and wash more often. Always close the bathroom door. I also found a used hotel slipper under bedside drawer covered with dust !. My overall experience was still a good plus review mainly from the courteous treatment from the staff's.

Date of stay: December 2016
Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for 2days in executive room.Nice and clean room.Breakfast very awesome.Hotel staff very helpful and friendly especially Mr Sim 沈江兵very helpful and make us feel very happy.I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Date of stay: December 2016
Reviewed 6 November 2016

We had a loud "wow" when we first stepped into the hotel entrance. It was unlike many tall contemporary hotel in the city. I strongly recommend this hotel when you visit Suzhou.

Good location with about 15mins walk to Humble Administrator's Garden and a taxi ride which costs 16yuan to Shantang old street Suzhou, etc.

However, we had a bad experience as we were approached by a tour agent representative to join a boat ride, sight seeing, etc. outside the Humble Administrator's Garden. The boat ride was so-so and we felt cheated as they also brought us to a silk factory and when none of us was interested to buy the products, the tour guide immediately ignored us after that. So my advice is just stick to your own itinerary. If you would like to experience a boat ride, visit the Shantang old street.

Overall, the people in Suzhou are nice and easily approachable too. I hope to revisit the place again.

Room tip: Request for Block 3 Level 1. We have tried to request but was told it was full.
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank tanamyhc
Reviewed 2 November 2016

The hotel location is very close and convenient to the old city and sightseeing spots, which is a plus. The hotel service is professional and attentive. The room that I stayed at was spacious and clean. I certainly will return if I ever visit the area again. However, the staff's English language skill is very limit; you have to be patient with them. Perhaps, one can use the iPhone or smartphone to translate your language into Chinese; it may help. Anyway, I do highly recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights late October. The first room given to us was extremely smelly, maybe the building is old and with a bad sewer system. After 10 minutes in the room, we decided we couldn't stay in a room smells like unflushed toilet for 3 nights, so we called front desk for a room change. Initially the front desk said the hotel is fully booked and cannot change the room, but when we insist, eventually they did change the room for us.

The second room had a faint stench smell in the restroom and shower room, but the bedroom room is okay (there is still some weird smell in the bedroom, a mixture of faint cigarette+hint of toilet, but tolerable).
There is only one cover sheet for the bed, it is missing another layer, we can see the mattress. We are not sure why, but for all 3 nights, we felt very itchy all over the body and cannot sleep well. Everyday the house keeper would open the window, but there is no window screen, so we saw some mosquitos in the room.
The whole bathroom is pretty awkwardly designed. Especially the placement of the bathtub and shower head. There is a slope in the bathtub, and flat side is placed against the walls, so we can only step on the slope side to get into the bathtub, and it is very slippery. There is no place to hang your towel or clothes in the shower room. So make sure you are staying with somebody won't mind seeing you naked....
The room is certainly not a 4 star quality.

As for the service, it is not a 4 star either. We were never greeted with a smile at the front desk. When asked for massage pricing, the concierge told us he have no idea and we should go to another building where the spa is located and find out ourselves.
They do offer free shuttle every hour to several tourist attractions, which is a plus, we took the shuttle once, but was offered by the driver to drop us off to some silk shop, which we graciously declined.
When checked out, we need to catch the train, so we asked if the shuttle could drop us off to the nearest metro station when they do their hourly routine and we would pay a fee, they said it is not their service and the fee would be 'very high'. They never told us how much it is, but decided for us that we probably don't want to pay for it. They can have their bus boy get on the street and wave us a texi, but they don't know when it would arrive, because 'usually there is not a lot of texi on this street'. So they suggested that we can just call the texi company ourselves. When asked why can't they simply call a texi for us like the rest of the hotel would do, they said they are on the black list of the texi company...

The overall experience suggest this hotel is not professionally managed. The staff's attitude were very casual and kept making excuses when cannot deliver the service. Maybe because we are Chinese and they expect us to be able to manage ourselves. We were constantly told the hotel is fully booked, maybe the business is so good that they do not care about improving room & service quality. It definitely does not worth the 4 star price we paid for.

One primary reason we book this hotel is for its location. The location is indeed very convenient for some of the major attractions, but it is pretty far away from the metro station (20 minutes walk through a narrow alley way). We were also told it could take up to 40 minutes to get a texi, but we never experienced that much delay, because we always end up walking to bus/metro station.
We also came for its boutique ancient Chinese guarded look.. which failed when the room is awkwardly designed, furniture outdated and with unpleasant smells.
We will definitely not come back again.

Date of stay: October 2016