“Not a must see - more of a tourist 'trap'”

Reviewed 29 June 2018

Tourist trap is a little bit harsh for this experience, but it is definitely not a must see. The floating village is interesting to see how people live on the water and are able to move their houses depending on the depth of the river. These people are not residence of Cambodia as they live on the water, and you get a bit more of an idea on the huge size of the lake. But that was about all that was interesting. Not worth the cost of the ticket.
Ticket costs were $35 each, which is wayyy tooo expensive for the experience that you actually get. As you are walking to the boat you get a camera shoved in your face and your picture take, although you are not told why.
The boats are fine, what you would expect and our guide and driver were really nice. You are taken down the river past the floating houses, school etc. After 10-15 minutes you then stop at a market/restaurant area. Here there are small cages with a large number of crocodiles just lying in the hot sun. When asked if the crocodiles are from the lake we were told that "no, just for the tourists" There are no crocodiles found in the lake and are brought from the Mekong to the area for the tourists. As we have small children they liked the crocodiles, but it is not something that I agree with, hence the 'tourist trap'. There is also a large python which has had its teeth removed and mouth stuck shut, so tourists can touch and hold it. Again not something that I agree with. When you are ready you head back and are asked if you want to stop at the school to play with the children. if you would like to be prepared to part with another $50 to buy a bag of rice for the children, although I doubt the money is used for this. We didnt stop as one of our children didnt like the boat, so wanted to get back as soon as we could.
On ending the trip, the guide asks you for a tip of $10 for each him and the driver. And he only would accept USD, not riel. We didnt actually have this much, so he didnt get anything. Then walking up the ramp we were accosted by 3 women who are holding out little plates with your photos on them "Ahh here is what the photo at the start was for". They are extremely persistent and followed us all the way to our tuktuk and tried to shove the plates in our hands. Obviously we refused, the photos were horrendous.
So despite the interesting set up of the floating houses, which I hope are real and not 'just for the tourists' it isn't a must see if you don't have time.
I did see a floating village brochure that offered a half day tour for only $18, which included boat ticket, guide, etc, so that may be a more cost effective option if you want to see the floating village.

1  Thank ExpatNZers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed 14 June 2018

I came to the floating village to run a church service. It was so sad to see the way people lived. They are convicts from Vietnam and are living in the floating villages because they aren't allowed in Cambodia or Vietnam. The joy these people have is incredible though. I was so humbled by coming here, and absolutely loved playing with all the children. My eyes were definitely opened whilst visiting here.

1  Thank Lindsay R
Reviewed 8 June 2018

I was fortunate that my Tuktuk Driver took the effort to accompany me after learning about how worried i was after reading all the terrible experience of previous visitors to the place. It was kinda costy (USD35) to pay for the boat ride but i was lucky that i didnt have to pay extra after that. We stopped by at the 'restaurant' as it was still too early for sunset. I dont agree to the crazy amount of crocodiles place in the cage at the restaurant...it was terrible honestly. And there were two young children who were playing with snakes around their body. Aint sure if they really care for the snakes :(
i guess i was lucky that my boat driver was nice too.(It was good to have my tuktuk driver who did all the talking with him) He took the effort to bring us around even though the water wasnt too deep, and we got 'stuck' a few times. We were the only one moving around the floating villages on the big boat. We stopped for some time to observe the sunset and he didnt even rush us. Only started the journey back when we said we are ready to go back :) It was definitely a memorable experience for me. I enjoyed it very much.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

This was the worst part of my trip to Cambodia. Excessively expensive (USD35) for a ride 10 minutes down a canal past a couple of boats that were shops or a church etc., then asked to go onto a smaller boat to see the village... but the smaller boat is an extra USD30. When I said no, I was taken to a shop to buy rice for the orphan children... USD$50 a bag, which I also refused and was then taken back to the starting dock where I was asked for a tip!!! Unbelievable ripoff that wouldn't have even been worth USD$10 for everything.

1  Thank travellerT4696OL