“East African influence on Indian BBQ food”

Hashmi Barbeque dxb
Ranked #1,827 of 13,850 Restaurants in Dubai
Price range: HK$21 - HK$159
Neighbourhood: Al Barsha 1
Description: Hashmi Barbeque was originally opened in 1978 in the city centre of Nairobi, Kenya. It branched out towards the westlands area during the mid 1990's and also to Mombasa at one time. A restaurant world famous for its African style 'Nyama Choma' blended in a marinade of indian spices serving all races, ages and genders. An oasis for barbeque lovers not just locally in Kenya (Nairobi or Mombasa), but world over as attested by our many repeat customer base clientele over several years from several countries. A Halal, alcohol- free, family run restaurant offering the best charcoal grilled spicy chicken and meats whose spiciness can be altered to your liking, as well as a few treats for the vegetarians. A warm comfortable spacious seating, attended to by our very own personalised customer service together with a waiting lounge.
Reviewed 28 August 2022 via mobile

It was good to experience Hashmi in Dubai having been on many occasions over the years in Nairobi.
The chicken tikka marinades and accompanying sauces are very different to your regular Indian or Pakistani restaurants.
We had the Chicken Tikka (breast piece is the best), poussin, beef kebabs and pili pili and masala chips.
My personal favourite is their chicken tikka and it was marinated and cooked to perfection.
Passion juice is good too.

Yes, I recommend if you want something a bit different.

Date of visit: August 2022

Reviewed 8 August 2022

Went here on recommendation from a friend , it was brilliant . Ambiance is not bad however the food is excellent . Quick service also .

Love their Kebabs and Chicken. Reasonable prices, good portion sizes.

Would love to go their again

Date of visit: August 2022
Reviewed 7 June 2022

We ate at this very famous East African restaurant which originates from Nairobi and the restaurant is in Barsha near the Mall of Emirates. I took my family for iftar and found the place choker block as the restaurant in spite of recent renovations was on the smaller size. Our experience of the service was poor as it took forever to get our order. However, there were complimentary starters of lovely made samosas which kept our mouths shut as we almost filled our tummies with these complimentary starter and there was plenty of them.

We tried almost everything on the menu, including Poussin chicken, Chooza Chicken , Mishkaki, Kebabs, all the three types of chips, BBQ chicken wings and more. The food was really delicious and cooked on the BBQ, you could smell the coal and the juicy meats were delightful. I did not care much about the Poussin chicken as it has skin and is oily but this is a matter of taste. All the food has a lot of chillies and if you like that, this is a gourmet paradise for you.

The juices were all fresh and lovely and the sauces were very nice too. We had the Kulfi and it was as good as Badsha Kulfi we had in Mumbai outside Crowford market and remember Badsha is the KING of KULFI, so if you are in Dubai, just go for Hashemi Kulfi, you won't be let down.

Date of visit: April 2022
1  Thank Anwer D
Reviewed 20 February 2022

I’ve eaten at and loved Hashmi food my whole life so much so that once I moved to England I’d stop there for my last meal on visits to Nairobi and bring a take away back with me. The news that they were closing in Nairobi was not good. I didn’t need to worry. I visited their them in Dubai earlier in the month and it was as good as ever. It’s also in a convenient location a few minutes from The Mall Of the Emirates. I’d highly recommend it to anyone in the area. The only thing missing was the tangerine juice

Date of visit: February 2022
Reviewed 25 November 2021 via mobile

Hashmi’s is a family run restaurant serving East African Cuisine located in Al Barsha, Dubai. I have been to this restaurant a couple of times and can vouch for their quality and service in addition to the scrumptious food they serve.

Their menu consists of a variety of dishes originally from Nairobi. They serve an array of lip smacking sauces with a simple salad prior to your order. The Poussin Chicken is deep fried chicken smothered with poussin sauce and is highly recommended along with their Chooza Chicken which is similar to tandoori chicken but slightly different in flavour. My personal favourites are the Pillipilli Chips (fries with poussin sauce) and the Stir-Fried Chilly-Lemon Prawns. We also tried the Beef Mushkaki, the Paneer (the paneer quality was awesome) and the Mutton Kebabs with Butter Naan. The meal ended with Kulfi, the only dessert they have on the menu which again is a family recipe.

The restaurant is unlike commercial restaurants and some of their gestures are truly heartwarming. The menu stays true to the cuisine, there are no forced dishes. The fact that they serve just one dessert and offer bottled water for free, says a lot about their values and convictions. Highly recommend this restaurant if you wish to try East African Cuisine. It’s one of those restaurants you want to keep going back to!

Date of visit: November 2021
Rahil Bhatti, Owner at Hashmi Barbeque dxb, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2022

Thank you very much for the review Neha! It is greatly appreciated and we love what you have written.
We look forward to serving you again!