“Midnight hike”

and up
Acatenango Volcano Hike from Antigua
Ranked #2 of 92 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

When we went to book our tour up to see the volcano, we didn’t realise there was an option of a midnight hike. Once given this option, it was a definite starter, despite not having the appropriate attire.
It got bloody freezing at the top of the volcano but it was worth it to see the active volcano next door emitting it’s lava and then waiting for the sunrise.
Once the sun had risen, it became apparent as to why it was such a difficult climb in the dark. The path is quite rough with big step after big step all the way up.
This is a must do! We loved it and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone in Antigua!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"tough hike"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Hiking Acatenango has been on my bucket list ever since someone told me about it in Panama. After 3 months of traveling, I was in shape and I must say: I really struggled my way up to base camp. I booked at Bigfoot Hostel for 350 and tents and sleeping bags were already at basecamp. Our group managed to get up after a little over 4h and as we came up, I was kind of disappointed, since it was so cloudy. After a couple of hours it started to clear up though and we were able to see the eruptions of Fuego. This was the best thing ever! Truly amazing and HIGHLY recommended, even though the hike is tough for people who are not in shape (especially the first
30 min).

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This volcano tour is a thing you have to do if you have the time. Stay in Antigua to do this, trust me you wont be sorry. This hike is hard but not as hard as everyone talks about it.. The weather wasnt very good at first but it got really good early in the morning around 2 AM so be ready to be waking up early. The sound of the volcano will for sure! I did the tour with Wicho and Charlies because people was recommending them since Mexico. They provided all food and clothes. The basecamp is complete you dont need to carry any equipment just water, food and personal items. I had back issues so I paid one of the guides to carry my bag (they offer this service in case you need it). We also planted trees as a reforestation projects this agency is making. It was really fun and the group was really nice!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great experience with Tropicana Hostel and worth the hike. The private campsite had a gorgeous view and the tour guides were very helpful and prepared everything for us like the tents set up and the food being prepared . The volcano was erupting like crazy even if it was quite cloudy. We were able to see lightning hit the middle of the volcano ! Best part of the hike ! I recommend doing the acatenango hike once you get to antigua guatemala you wont regret it !

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Almost didn’t do it due to people stressing how hard it was and making it sound like you needed to be a hardcore hiker to do it. We both took our time and climbed it in 5.5 hours which was reasonable. The hike is hard and steep incline pretty much the whole trek but the view of mount Fuego erupting all night was spectacular and I will remember it forever. Very cold at the top so do research and pack appropriately. Hire the proper gear it is worth it for the extra comfort and to make the trip more enjoyable. Also take a stick or walking poles you really need them!