“Intro to Lima cuisine ”
Review of Malabar

Malabar
Ranked #212 of 3,111 Restaurants in Lima
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Isidro
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Malabar was my husband and my first taste of the famed cuisine in Lima. The entire experience was over expectation. The welcome from the staff and the comfortable elegance set a perfect tone.
The group celebrated with Pisco Sours. The range of interesting selections was exciting and plenty of choices for all sophisticated diners. Worthy of calling out was the Peruvian Fish baked in a passion fruit glaze. My husband chose the pork stew with onions, potatoes, chillies and local mushrooms. The sauce was full of local herbs and had the taste of a true Peruvian stew.
The table shared several desserts. All were good especially the fresh cut up fruit with traditional meringue and lemon/vanilla sauce.
We had wines from Chile - both white and red from a limited but sufficient list by the glass. A more extensive list with a wide selection by the bottle was available.
I will recommend Malabar to all for a great meal, welcoming service and a lovely experience. On average our meals ranged from $50-60 per person without service.

Lucia C, Gerente at Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Fernanda, how are you? Thanks for the review. I will let my staff know about every detail. Thanks a lot for choosing Malabar and we hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

Thankfully this high end restaurant doesn't have a high level dress code as I didn't bring anything fancy to wear and everyone else had dressed for the occasion.

I booked a table online on their website that afternoon, which was a very simple process. I was expecting a confirmation by text or email, but didn't get one.

The restaurant is very simply decorated and has a very sophisticated feel with white cotton tablecloths and thick napkins.
The glasses were so sparklingly clean that they looked brand new.

An English-speaking waiter helped me with the menu so I could avoid the meals containing gluten and lactose.

I was initially told that the yuka bread was made with goat's  cheese, which I can eat, but after it was served I was told it was cow cheese, which I can't eat.
Luckily I'd waited a few minutes before starting to eat it because they didn't rescue the dish immediately.

I started with crudités and hummus (usually served with cheese, but fortunately for me, tonight they were served with hummus).
This was presented beautifully and was delicious. It was slightly awkward eating with cutlery and I did have one baby corn bounce off my plate as I forked it.

My scallops starter was absolutely delicious. The scallops still had the roe attached and were served with pieces of hot mango, basil leaves and many other tasty morsels.

My main course was catch of the day on a bed of pureed wild spinach. The sea bass was overcooked and the dish had one flavour throughout, which was smoky and quite bland.

I couldn't order a desert as there were no options that were gluten and lactose free.

I had the cocktail of the week, which was pleasant, and the restaurant's unique Pisco Punch, which was pleasant too.

My service was mixed. Someone came to ask how each plate was as I was a few bites in, but no-one topped up my water glass despite it being empty for more than half an hour. In the end I got up and served myself.

The bread item hadn't been removed from the bill and the waiter automatically selected GBP as the currency when given the option by my bank. Luckily I spotted this. I pointed it out and he said the currency was automatic. I pointed out that it wasn't, and hey presto, when he cancelled the transaction and started again he could select soles.

Final bill 162 soles:
Small bottle aqua con gas 10
Whisky cocktail 30
Pisco Punch cocktail 30
Crudités 6
Scallops 36
Catch of the day 50

Lucia C, Gerente at Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Dear MagicDawn, thanks a lot for the review. This is so helpful for us; reading about every detail of your experience with us. We will talk to the staff to improve everything there ir to improve, and next time you visit us; you can have a better meal. Thanks for choosing Malabar and we really hope to have you back sometime.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Amazing meal from the starters to dessert. We were scared to try the pigeon with pasta but did and it was one of the best things we had! Fantastic experience, fantastic recommendations by Pedro. He was more than our waiter tonight, he was our friend and we can’t wait to visit Malabar again!

Lucia C, Gerente at Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Sophie, thanks for taking the time to write a review. We will let him know how happy you are.
Thanks a lot for choosing Malabar while in Lima. We hope to have you again soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

First let me say the service here was excellent. The atmosphere excellent as well. My wife Maria and went last night to dine on Maria's birthday. What a fantastic menu we had. First our appetizer was scallops grilled with coconut milk and mango tanrindo. Then onto the main course Maria had roasted duck with rice with chi cha de jora. My plate was the smoked paiche, with red fruit sauce. The paiche is a fish from the Amazon river, it is a fresh water fish, and can reach up to 200 pounds. It is the largest freshwater fish in the Amazon. Our desserts were cream brulee and Maria special birthday dessert was flourless chocolate made with 3 different chocolates..yummy. The head waiter ,explained everything about our meals, where my fish came. I found they very interesting they went to all of that. The food was 5 star definitely 5 star and we are looking forward to returning soon.

1  Thank toggers55
Lucia C, Gerente at Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear toggers55, thanks for your review. I will pass this message to our staff. We are glad you enjoyed every part of your experience, and hope to have you again soon. Thanks again for chosing Malabar.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Wonderful restaurant, and excellent service. Pedro Soncco really took care of us: most importantly, he really understood the diverse ingredients, and techniques used. The best bites were the the smoked paiche, and the sea urchin with soft tamale…AMAZING.

Lucia C, Gerente at Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear Joel and Alisa, thanks for the review. I will let Pedro and the kitchen staff of it. We are so glad you enjoyed the experience in Malabar. Hope you come back again. Thanks again for choosing us.