See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 July 2011

WOW. I referred to reply on my post (long time ago but still valid nevertheless).

Sarcasm at its best from 'resort' manager. Last line was epic. No wonder this place has been voted the worst in Singapore.

Date of stay: August 2010
11  Thank Renee82
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I was shock of the bed = bug and bugs everywhere . The toilet, bed cover, rubbish and everything. This is the worst resort i ever stay. Staff was rude and service was really bad.

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
11  Thank apple_first
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We visited this place for a 21st birthday party.

The service staff were very rude and they have strict guidelines such as no outside caterer furniture and they would make a scene in front of the guests instead of being nice and polite when they demanded that the caterer furniture be paid for per chair.

You cannot move furniture outside of the chalet as the security guard would demand them to be put back even if it is just in front of the chalet.

There is almost no security although the premises is being guarded by a security guard. There are not gates.

The environment outside retains the nice charm of the 1980s but some of the lights are no longer working and brooms and stuff are being left at the turnstile which is not longer in use. The main building is quite dark and gloomy when I arrived.

The only good thing is its value. Nice value but horrible service. The stay was ruined by the strict rules imposed, the additional charges for the catering furniture, the bad attitude of the staff. It is such shame that the historic Costa Sands has deteroriated to such a stage under the new management.

Date of stay: May 2009
5  Thank xinli29288
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I booked this chalet for a gathering. Upon checking in and inspecting the place, I had requested staff to help clean up huge puddles of water in the duplex. We couldn't possibly use the white towels provided for guests to clean the floor.Throughout the day, my friends called and requested for clean up as we were expecting kids. Each time we called, and we had even walked over to reception a few times, staff said yes, they would do so immedately. Lip service. They never did. As expected, even with close watch, kids tripped and fell. The whole place is so run down with holes in the walls, broken funiture, broken toilet. I did know it was under renovation, but that was too much. Plenty of millipedes in the bathroom too and broken taps, fridge not working properly as well. Please do not waste your money on this place.

Date of stay: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Renee82
lokemunchoo, manager at Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2008

First of all, I would like to thank every individual for their comments and remarks. They are all very vital information to us. We will definately will look into all the feedback very constructively and will do the necessary changes where applicable. We time to time doing our level best to meet everyones expectations. We encourage all our guest to see us immediately when they are facing problems during their stay in the Resort. This property is extremely old and we have done alot of upgrading to the rooms. Kindly understand that, its not easy to maintain a resort and chalet property. Consider those who came and left us with many damages weekly . Towels have been misused, broken taps, stools etc. But never the less, I thank you for the feedback. A BIG THANK YOU.

Reviewed 13 July 2008

Though we have paid $218 for 1 night and did not expect hotel standard (since we have selected a non-refurbished chalet unit), we were still disappointed with the following:-
1) The unit has 4 beds but we were only give 2 towels and 2 blankets. There were ants partying under the towels.
2) There were so many mosquitoes.
3) There were so many cockroaches.
4) One of us even saw a big fat rat in the toilet.
5) There were unpleasant smell of urine outside my unit.
6) There were stains on the bedsheets.
7) The complimentary breakfast for TWO only was pathetic with only hardboiled eggs, stir-fried instant noodles, tasteless ham, indian curry, indian bread, watermelon, 1 type of bread & cereal, and hot drinks.
8) The mini-mart is mostly closed.
9) The best-looking area is the lobby which was also lifeless, deserted, gloomy and dark.

Honestly, I was ashamed as a Singaporean to know that such place exists to receive overseas tourists.

The only consolation is that the beach is just right outside our unit. I rather pitch a tent then to spend $218 to stay in such a place ever again.

To management: there should be at least be some minimum standard of cleanliness though the place may be rundown or pending refurbishment/renovation.

Date of stay: June 2008