“Omakase Lunch”
Review of Ryo Sushi

Ryo Sushi
Ranked #3,355 of 12,633 Restaurants in Singapore
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

We had an Omakase lunch at this small sushi restaurant. It only has 9 seatings! Make sure one makes reservations. The total dishes was 18 courses. 12 sushi, one temaki, one small bowl of Chirashi with soup. Appetiser is edamame, eggs with ikut a and a savoury dish. Price is $68 per set. Great tasting sushi, all prepared fresh in front of you. This restaurant is a little gem. Service is good.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Restaurant is small and run by a Singaporean that loves sushi. He is trained in Japan. The food is very good and I do not think it is possible to find any sushi joint in Singapore that gives more value for money than Ryo. You have to eat the chef's selection.

1  Thank matsaxel
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

For those unfamiliar with Japanese cuisine, omakase means chef’s choice. For Ryo, they serve an excellent omakase set - value for money in my book, not because of the sushi and sashimi served. Rather, it was the more down to earth conversation with the chef I had that made it memorable. Felt like being at an island kitchen of a neighbor cooking up a meal for friends. Recommended.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Quaint little sushi place where my wife and I celebrated our 7th year wedding anniversary. I think it's a great experience for anyone who have not tried omakase before.
No deposit was requested from me. However, I can understand why they might want to do so as the seats were limited- cost of doing business will be high if clients dropped out.

1  Thank 811GaryH811
Reviewed 1 February 2018

Depending on your budget for lunch, $38, $68 or $98, you get a different type of sashimi sushi. I tried both the $38 and $98 menu and I have to say that both the menu never left me (and my wife) wanting to come back for more! The fish slices that were served are so fresh. The chef even pays small details like putting a little fresh ginger onto the sushi to ensure you get a variety of taste when you pop the sushi into your mouth or even how he serve the sushi, i.e. from the lighting tasting ones first to the oily fish to a drier fish texture to ensure that we get to properly taste every single sushi that were served or not bringing too much rice into this mini pot to ensure the rice stays fresh. BTW, there only serve sashimi, so if you are not into raw stuff, then there is really nothing much for you.

I saw reviews that chef has a different standard to different customer, i.e. friendly to regular while not so friendly to a 1st-time visitor, I would say that chef is more like an introvert person. When I was there for the 1st time, I felt that he did not chat much but he does join in the conversation when he has something to add and he may appear to make sarcastic remarks but maybe it maybe a "cold" joke for him (chill folks). For the second time, as he was more familiar with me, he did chat a bit more but still lesser than some Omakase chef I know. If you are looking for a fun-loving and chatty chef like at Teppei, then I think you will definitely not find it here. However, I don't really think this should bother anyone since we are really there for the food which I can see that he takes a lot of pride in making them and ensuring that they are the best to be served.

The place is very neat and clean and the chef cleans the cutting board every single time after he made a sushi. On my second visit, they had 3 person around, so one was in charge of serving tea and starter while the other 2 chefs were serving customers filling their tummy! Service is honestly not too bad!

As for reservation, I made for 3 person for the $38 menu, no issues too. For my second visit, I made for 2 person and 2 weeks in advance, so no issues too. For "hot" dates for V-Day or Mother's day, it is definitely wise to book in advance and expect that their basic menu will not be available.

For the price, it is definitely worth the tasting experience and I will return to dine there again!