“The Best Way to Travel to Tibet!”

I Tibet Travel and Tours
Ranked #21 of 57 Outdoor Activities in Lhasa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are I Tibet travel and Tours. An Authentic Tibetan travel Agency in Tibet. Our Agency is registered as the Tibet Universal Travel Co., LTD. Established in the year 1997. We are the oldest surviving Tibet travel agency. We are a group of Tibetan Tibet travel and Tours specialist. We make Tibet travel permit free
Reviewed 20 May 2018

Tenzin Woaber runs i-Tibet and this is definitely one of the best travel agencies in Tibet. They are locally run and use only local guides, drivers, hotels and all the money goes to support ethical tourism and the local economy (and believe me when I say there is not much else going on for these remote communities regarding economic stimulus in far western Tibet!)

Our trip to Mount Kailash and Guge Kingdom was totally amazing! As an avid hiker who has thru-hiked both the 2,174 miles of the Appalachian Trail and the 2,650 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail in North America this has long been one of my bucket list dreams to trek over 5,630 meters (18,500 feet) in altitude over the Dolma La pass on the 3 day Mount Kailash trek.

And I must say this 16 night/ 17 day tour to Kailash and Guge Kingdom did not disappoint after so many long years of dreaming about this trip! Kailash was insanely beautiful in May 2018 with perfect weather and 360 degree views of the awesome mountain for almost the whole 3 days of the trek. This certainly would have been enough if it were the only thing we saw on the trip. But getting to see the Karo La Glacier, the pristine waters of Yamdrok Lake, and the holy waters of Lake Manasarovar at 4,700 meters was an amazing, life-changing bonus! Anyone one of these sites is amazing in itself but to wrap them all together and then put them in with views of Mount Everest is mind blowing! A week after the trip I still processing all this wonder!

Traveling in the Tibetan Autonomous Region is a dizzying political matrix of paperwork. I am adopting a child internationally and the list of paperwork I had to complete for my adoption is equal to the the size of the giant folder i-Tibet managed for all of our Tibet permits, passports, visas, reservations, and special permissions. These guys did an incredible job with the lengthy laundry list of logistics involved in getting off the beaten path to visit places most foreigners will only see on television in National Geographic episodes!

i-Tibet has been in the business for a long time and these guys are the real deal!

In a market progressively being flooded by Chinese-run companies who do not even live or travel in #Lhasa, please choose i-Tibet because they have all lived and breathed Lhasa for their whole lives and this is their heartland, their passion, and this is the truest way to engage and honor Tibetan culture.

Tenzin will absolutely go out of his way to make sure you have the trip of your dreams!
We really liked our cozy, Tibetan style hotel in the heart of the Barkhor Square and, even though he had already scheduled another hotel for us in Lhasa on our arrival back from Everest Base Camp, Tenzin was happy to change our hotel reservations last minute for us to stay in our former, familiar hotel, the Shambala Palace. Tenzin provided us the coolest local hotels, amazing food, and even a day at a local Tibetan homestay. The experience was all quality and was very authentic!

Please do be aware that if you travel to Kailash and Guge Kingdom that you are signing up for a lot of car/driving time (it is almost 1,400km from Lhasa to Guge Kingdom in one way driving) and that for at least a few nights of the trip you will not have electricity, running water, or heat. This trip goes to some really rustic places at high altitudes (which is why I loved it) but if you are a person that can only handle 5 star hotels and room service this trip to Kailash is not for you (you may, then consider some of i-Tibet's shorter trips around Lhasa if so). This particular trip is for the intrepid adventurer who wants to see remote and desolate lands through the eyes of local nomads and pilgrims.

2  Thank Thecubbages
Woeber, Manager at I Tibet Travel and Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Thank you such a nice review and taking your precious time to review us.

All reviews
"interesting experience"
"tibetan guide"
"mount kailash"

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I travelled to Tibet under the professional guidance of i-Tibet travel and was very happy and satisfied. We travelled for 17 days and felt in very good hands. Most of all the personal, warm, honest and welcoming Tenzin Woaber made the experience one to remember and I really want to recommend this travel agency to all going to Tibet. Tenzin will do his best to ensure all clients have a great trip and we had the best guide (Kalsang) and driver (Sonam).

Woeber, Manager at I Tibet Travel and Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Thank you and I am already missing all your group members. We really had a great time in Tibet. I am really happy to host such a nice bunch of people from all over the world.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

We are a group of four going on a private tour with iTibet. I made my research and comparison on a lot of tour agencies in Tibet and ended up with iTibet, the decision didn't disappoint me both in terms of budget and quality of the tour.

Tenzin and the team have made every efforts to make sure that we have a memorable and pleasant journey. Our guide, Nimah, a young, passionate and enthusiastic Tibetan guy impressed us with his knowledge about Tibet culture and religion. The driver, my favorite, is super experienced, steady and careful throughout our whole trip. We have water and fruits throughout the journey, which saved us a lot from car sickness.

We have some minor issues with the hotel on first two days in Lhasa (which led to Tenzin canceled the whole rooms with this hotel), but were made up by homey experience in Shambhala Palace during our last days, which was super cool. The hotel in Shigaste, Gesar, is really lovely and comfortable.

All our requests were attended nicely. Due to altitude sickness, we had to change our initial route, but Tenzin has prepared us with another nice place in Lhasa so we really appreciate it.

Overall, I highly recommend iTibet travel and for anyone coming from low altitude regions like us, prepare yourself with the high altitude sickness for the best experience of Tibet.

Thank you for your wonderfull review and woderful gift you gave us at the end of the journey

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Dear Woaber, thank you once again for everything you did for us in organizing this trip! Everything was very well planned, and we really had an amazing time on our 7 days central Tibet Tour. The Guide was really nice and helpful and the driver brought us everywhere safely and quickly. Hotels were very decent, and the places you brought us to for lunch and dinner where delicious. Also price-wise the trip by far the best choice compared to other Tibet-based agencies. Furthermore, whenever anyone needed any additional support you were there and helped a lot! It was a blast! Thank you again, and I'll definitely come back for some hikes. See you soon! Best, Thomas

Woeber, Manager at I Tibet Travel and Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Thank you my friend. i am gald to have your review and we are very happy for able to assist you for the additional requirements. we wish you a very good luck for you future and see you soon in Lhasa