Shangbala Hotel Lasa
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Expedia
All reviewssummit cafethree nightsearlier reviewsbarkhor streetpotala palacereceptionistjokhang
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Shangbala hotel is in a most convenient location! Less than a 5 minute walk to Barkhor Street, and surrounded by lots of restaurants made looking for something to eat very easy.

The rooms are comfortable, and we had no issues with hot water for showers. They even provide a hair dryer in the bathroom!

Our rooms were cleaned every day and the towels changed.

The only thing would be that the reception staff do not speak English, and we had to use a translator app to make enquiries. Small matter as the staff are friendly and helpful.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2017

We were very pleased with this hotel. Stayed a total of 5 nights here and everything was awesome. Room, staff, food, location. We had absolutely zero complaints.

Room was as good as any we had stayed at in China....good quality beds and nice clean bathrooms.

This hotel must have recently been renovated (based on earlier reviews).

Hotel is situated nicely near the Market/Jokhang, and a 10-15 minute walk to Potala Palace.

Other members in our tour seemed a bit jealous when they saw where we were staying, so I take that as a sign that this is a really good quality hotel.

The Summit Cafe right next to the hotel served the best pizza we had in all of our 3 week tour.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2016

Based on some of the earlier reviews and the pictures, I suspect this hotel has been renovated recently. The double room I stayed is much nicer than the pictures of rooms. Nice bathroom with a good shower, comfortable beds, spacious room. Clean. You notify housekeeping if you want your room cleaned, or don't want to be disturbed by pushing a light switch type button in the room which lights up the corresponding light outside of the room. Worked well and our room was cleaned whenever we requested.

Best part of this hotel is the location. It is right in the center of old Lhasa a short walk from the Jokhang Temple. We got up every morning and circumambulated the temple at 7am. Magical and easy to do due to the close proximity.

Good coffee house right across the courtyard with surprisingly good pizza if you want a break from Tibetan food. Good coffee as well.

Will stay here again if I return to Lhasa.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room facing the inner courtyard which was quieter than rooms on the street side.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janet S
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

Having spent 30+ hours travelling to Tibet it was nice to be greeted by the friendly staff at Shangbala. I was promptly shown to my room on the fourth floor....no lift but that's not what I'm looking for, just the carvings and brightly coloured decoration are enough to distract me.

The room itself is large and accommodating for me on my own and with the drawn curtains filled with a nice orange glow. The bed is typically hard but that's good for my back and affords a good night sleep regardless.

The bathroom is dark but has everything you need for a nice stay with plenty of illumination with the lights turned on. A western toilet is provided, although my seat was loose....I could complain but stuff like that doesn't bother me. The drains smell a little but seeing as I don't spend my life in there, again it's no bother considering where I am.

Wifi is provided but has the normal restrictions provided by the government...but who wants to be on Facebook all the time when you have markets and an ancient city to explore!?

Breakfast is adequate with tea, coffee, muesli, yoghurt, bread butter and the local porridge and steamed buns. The lady in the kitchen also supplies fried egg or omelette.

To top all this off there's a nice roof top terrace with a great view out over the city, with unobstructed views of the palace. With a good zoom lens on your camera excellent photos are possible day and night.

All in all a great stay, friendly staff, a few touches that could be made to make it excellent but the central location means it's highly recommended if you want to move away from the typical western hotel!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2014

This was a wonderful hotel for those looking to be in the heart of the old Tibetan quarter of Lhasa. While the room was nothing special, the location, a few steps to the Jokang, and a nice amble to the market, I couldn't have been happier. Breakfast was okay but nothing special. But if you asked for something they tried their best to make you more comfortable. I would say that if you want a safe place to walk from, day or night, then you could not go wrong here. There are plenty of little shops nearby for conveniences, water, souvenirs etc. But being so close to the Jokang and what made this so special. Views from the roof of the Potala are worth the climb.

Room Tip: Try tom get a room on the upper floors away from the central courtyard, which is noisy until 11 and starts again at 6. Hot water not always available after 8 at night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo