“Love this place!”

Cuisines: Lebanese
Neighbourhood: Central
Neighbourhood: Central
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

It's a very unique for someone who really like Lebanese food! It's a small but very friendly place, with delicious foods such as the best falafel I've ever had and a delicious babbaganoush - and note that I'm from lebanese family! Mr. Josef Assaf is very kind. I strongly recommend this place.

3  Thank Roberta20122012

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

It's a part of Lebanon in Hong Kong. We enjoy all food.
In my opinion everybody must try the Keebeh..

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've made it a point to drop in for a nice lunch and chat with the owner every trip to Hong Kong, ever since I lived there. The food is very nice, it's a great place to sit and watch fashionable business people skirting by on Lyndhurst Terrace. I fire up my laptop after eating, sip lime sodas and hang out for as long as I can.

I like to order Lebanese salad, Warak Inab (stuffed grape leaves) and Felafel or Shish Tauk (spicy chicken cubes). 3 brothers, fixtures in Hong Kong for decades, run this place, the eldest being particularly friendly and welcoming.

It's not fancy, it's not cheap (very expensive real estate location!) and it may not be the very best middle eastern food you ever ate, but it's damn tasty and a great spot for a business or solo lunch in Hong Kong.

2  Thank ABLJ
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Have tried viaiting this restaurant but had no luck trying the foof, the second attempt o isit left a bad impression of the restaurant and we are not at all likely to visit it. The details are as below:

The first attempt was during the evening, not at the peak time. Had heard that the staff is accomodating here but in our case they refused to entertain us without reservation, even when we had a small kid with us, although they had some space available. We offered to wait or return in about 30 to 45 minutes but that was flatly refused, although disappointed we decided to try this place again later.

The next attempt was with prior reservation at 12:00pm, however upon reaching the place 5 minutes early and waiting till 12:10 they restaurant was not open. We were standing in the hot afternoon with our child, in full view of the staff but they were busy cleaning and with preparations to open. No attempt was made by the staff to check with us about our reservation or to let us in to give us respite from the heat, they simply ignred us. We found the second instance very inconsiderate and totally opposed to anything near the meaning of HOSPITALITY.

We decided to skip this lousy restaurant for good. If they do not have the basic courtesy towards their customers then nothing else matters as more important than that.

We went to another busy and well known restaurant where the staff was so warm and friendly that they made our day and cheered our mood which was down due to the lousy experience of waiting for 15 minutes outside Assaf and having the staff looking at us but choosing to ignore.

4  Thank GeorgeLomesh
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I headed to Assaf in the SoHo area of HK after following the Lonely Planet guide. Surprisingly the 20 seater restaurant was completely empty. I opted to sit on a table that was between two other tables and was requested to move to one of the corner tables just in case a big group arrived. Fair enough, but nobody did arrive.

The restaurant is a small room with 6 tables and could get hot as the a/c wasn't functioning all that well. There was one Arabic gentleman who appeared as the owner of the restaurant. He was quite pleasant and soft spoken. The menu was rather short, with about 10 appetizers and only 6-8 main dishes, most of which were kababs in different forms. I ordered some Hommus and the Sheesh Kabab and also requested to replace the french fries with rice, that was done without any hesitation. The Hommus was ok, nothing to rave about; when the Sheesh Kabab was served it came along with some salad and steamed rice. I was offered mint yoghurt or chilly. I initially thought that by chilly he meant the vegetable, however, he got some home made chilly sauce which was quite tasty and spicy. The kababs were cooked well and seasonsed just right. They were grilled with bell peppers and tomatoes.

All in all, it's a good place for a quite bite or a light meal. Nothing fancy, but slightly upmarket prices for the ambiance.

Been to Assaf? Share your experiences!