Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery (Man Fat Sze)
Book In Advance

from US$20.89
from US$134.10
from US$71.82
2,219 results
All reviews sha tin fake monks wild monkeys main temple government offices sheung wo che road exit b pai tau village shatin mtr station gold buddhas worth the climb long climb steep walk vegetarian restaurant turn left life size take your time
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Located in Sha Tin (New Territories), this sprawling ‘monastery’ (no monks live here, so their term is used figuratively) is full of fascinating and exquisite architecture. There are numerous buildings (shrines, halls, temples) set atop a multi-level complex. The walk up, passing thousands of images/statues of Buddha is amazing. It is steep in places and when hot and humid can be downright grueling (there are benches along the way to sit and rest). The views from the top overlooking Sha Tin and the nearby mountains are breathtaking. There are several macaques that roam the complex - I recommend staying away and watching your food, personal belongings and small children. A separate pathway (not lined with Buddha statues) leads back down from the monastery passing through rural ‘urban’ hillside neighborhoods and pleasant woodlands.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank backpacker31
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Awesome place if you take the trouble to find it. Makes for great photo opportunities but do take your time as you climb and carry with you a bottle of water (we saw some people giving up and turning back) but it is worth it if you stick at it.

The best way to find the place is to take exit B at Sha Tin MTR and turn left. Keep left along the ramp until you see Pai Tau village with traditional looking houses.
Turn left at Pai Tau street and then right on Sheung Wo Che street. There are no signs to direct you to the monastery and at the end of the road you will see a landing bay on the left and a car park on the right. The entrance is straight ahead through the woods / hills. It will look like you are in the wrong place but this is the entrance of the monasteries.

We had great fun seeing the monk statues along the way (for me this was more fun than the actual monastery itself) there’s different tiers to the monastery so when you think it’s over... there’s more.

We saw monkeys on the top as well and the view from above to the concrete jungle mingling with the actual jungle is quite something.

I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did.

Date of experience: January 2018
4  Thank oneluckytraveller
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We decided rather last minute to go to the Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery after reading about it online. It took us approximately 25 minutes from Causeway Bay on the MTR. It looks like they are investing some money in tidying this place up as works are happening. I still think it is worth the trip. Please note there are a lot of steps to the top so it's important that you are able to do 20 minutes worth of step climbing to get the to Monastery.

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank AmesB1993
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Hidden away up a big hill and a short distance from the train station. A lot of steps. Very impressive with many statues and great photo opportunities. I’ve visited twice and the second visit was just as great. My teenagers loved it. Good city views from the top. A lot to look at! Snacks and drinks available too.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank seanb936
Reviewed 3 April 2018

My visit to the Ten Thousand Buddhas monastery turned out to be a huge waste of time. Not only is it far from the central areas of Hong Kong, but getting there is really difficult. The monastery was very hard to find and I actually ended up in another monastery/temple on the same hill, climbed an endless flight of stairs for over an hour, only to realize I was in the wrong place. I was not the only one who was confused, a few other tourists I met on the way had the same problem.

The sign showing the way to the monastery was actually impossible to see from the street. When I eventually found it, I had to climb a ton of stairs again, only to be bitterly disappointed by the tasteless display of kitsch I met along the way and on top. This was the least interesting temple I've seen in Asia.

I definitely do not recommend this place, especially if you only have a couple of days to spend in the city. There are some much better places to see in half a day!

Date of experience: January 2018