Wanchai 88 Hotel
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$178
Cordis Official
US$523
US$497
W Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$397
US$291
  • Restaurant
The Langham, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$196
US$645
US$316
永安旅遊
  • Pool
The Upper House(Hong Kong)
US$574
US$470
Expedia
  • Restaurant
Mojo Nomad Aberdeen Harbour(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$81
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewswan chai mtr stationmountain view roomyuen streetfree refreshmentssquare meterssoft pillowswashing machinedecent sizeroom was spaciousshort stayhotel is greathong kong islandfamily roomevery morningconvenient locationrecommend this hotelblinds
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Stayed for a week on the 31st (top floor) in the king mountain view suite. Had a lovely time, great large spacious room, perfect location, really close to MTR. Room was a bit tired around the edges but it was a still a really lovely space with loads of amenities and I looked forward to returning at the end of each day.

Room had a wine fridge, washer/dryer, fridge with freezer compartment, kettle, hairdryer, safe. The socket on the left side of the bed didn’t work but there were plenty others to use around the room. Large room, big comfortable bed, nice rainforest shower with bath, sinks are in the bedroom. So many cupboards and drawers to put things in. Very clean, good housekeeping service but some days we were given hand towels and some days flannels which was strange! I loved the electric blind and the view was beautiful, it was fun to press the switch to see the view unfold every morning. Air-con was great, simple to use and worked really well. Slept really well.

Breakfast was pretty basic, low quality croissants, mini muffins and muesli and one very slow coffee machine but it was complimentary so can’t complain. It was nice to be able to sit outside on the small terrace (no view) but still nice for a bit of fresh air.

Didn’t really speak to staff apart from checking in at reception but concierge was helpful and helped a couple of times with things. There are only 3 rooms on each floor so it is quite a small hotel but it was nice and quiet, didn’t see too many other guests. Had a lovely stay and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had top floor (floor 31) and the view was lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Drew213
Hotel managemen... F, Manager at Wanchai 88 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Value guest,

Thank you for your constructive comments to our hotel by your valuable time!

We are also glad to hear that you love our hotel and overall have an pleasant stay with us.
However, we will address the breakfast issue and further improvement of the guest interaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon again for another memorable stay with our hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This has been a very disappointing experiance. The hotels staff's approach towards rectifying errors made was met with a "dead pan" face. The response to our concerns were a single word reply and that felt like "lip service" In fact, we felt discriminated against due to ethnicity. Given that you pay up front for direct hotel made reservations, as a consumer, you have no ability to challenge the situation by leaving and checking into a more service orientated establishment. I would strongly recommend that you use an alternative hotel for your stay in Hong Kong.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Kendall K

Dear Mr Kendall,

Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at our hotel.

I regret to hear that your negative experience during the stay. I appreciated your feedback that will allow us to focus in the area connected to our guest. I hope you understand that our hotel never accept any gesture with discrimination of ethnicity and we offered 2nd complimentary extra bed to your room during the first night stay and provide the alternative charge for the rest stay.

I hope you will not only judge us on this occasion and look forward to serve you again in near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

When we checked into the 88 Wanchai we had to wait 15 minutes while a really friendly receptionist finished checking-in these two European ladies. She was really friendly and engaging offering her advice on the best things to do in Hong Kong when these European ladies hadn’t even asked. She got out a map, showed them her favourite places to eat, advised them on the best places to go – and she seemed like the perfect person you’d want to meet when checking into a hotel.
We waited patiently for our turn but when we got there the nice lady who had done the greeting for the last two customers didn’t serve us and we were checked in by someone who clearly didn’t give a flying hoot whether we had an enjoyable time or not.
We later found out that this guy Benny was the night manager – which kinda explains why he felt a warm and friendly check-in was beneath him, but nonetheless doesn’t excuse his terrible behaviour, as we shall go on to explain.
The contrast between Benny and the lady was like night and day.
Benny could barely lift his eyes high enough to look at our faces and we didn’t get a welcome or a thank you – all we got was the basic detail on where our rooms were, and what time morning refreshments were served and then our keys.
I asked Benny if he had a map and if there was anything about the city he could tell us and he asked us 'like what?' which was a huge contrast to the previous lady.
We then asked Benny if there was any Chinese Opera and Benny seemed annoyed we had asked.
He started clicking around on his computer screen and we thought he was searching for shows. We waited for two minutes in silence and he then made an internal call in a language we couldn’t understand and then proceeded to keep clicking away on his computer.
After several more minutes of waiting in silence I said to Benny that he could leave it and we’d find out on the internet and he said he’d asked the concierge and he was waiting for their call back.
To keep us waiting in silence like that without any explanation was really rude and it was absolutely clear that he was doing it deliberately.
We stay in far better hotels than this all the time but we don’t take rudeness from anyone.
I told Benny what I thought of his service and we left.
Later that evening I sent an email to the hotel complaining about Benny and asking to speak to the Manager.
Benny then called me directly on the room phone and tried to pretend I had imagined everything.
I told him I disagreed and he persisted to disagree with me.
I claimed to Benny that he was by now arguing with me and he then said he was not arguing with me.
How ironic!
By this time I was getting quite annoyed and I told Benny that if he wanted to continue this further he could meet me outside the hotel and we’d sort it out on the street.
He then scurried away with his tail between his legs and the call was ended.
What really shocked me however was that the management of the hotel never got back to me to hear my complaint.
It's a nice enough hotel. I only met two members of staff that were customer centric. One of them is a very kindly older gentleman who works on the ground floor concierge.
The other was the lady who checked in the women when we arrived.
No one else give a damn. Price wasn’t that cheap. Location was just OK. No breakfast or facilities at all.
Based on all that (and thanks to Benny) I give it a one out of ten.

Also - they advertise themselves on some websites (that they can list themselves on) as a four star hotel - but they're just a three star hotel.

I'll be in touch with them, and failing that my credit card company, about that to claim a partial refund.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
10  Thank Bobby G
Reviewed 3 February 2018

We stayed a several nights at this well positioned hotel, had absolutely no problem navigating our way there from the Airport Express train and Wan Chai MTR station.
our room was large by HK standards and generally well appointed.
This hotel really felt like serviced apartments to me - absolutely minimal service level from staff ( though our heating wasn't working and maintenance did attend within 10 mins) .
Completely empty minibar ( in fact fridge smelt musty) and absolutely minimal tea/coffee in room, though there was complimentary tea/coffee, fruit and croissants in the reception area.
Check in time of 3pm rigidly adhered to by staff - do not expect earlier room access.
All in all I think this hotel represents good value for a short stay.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Dustin F, Manager at Wanchai 88 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear Value guest,

Thank you for choosing Wanchai88 Hotels,

I'm happy to hear that overall you had enajoyable stay with us and we will address the issue of the room's fridge.
We are looking forward to see you again in near future.

Cheers!

Hotel Management

Reviewed 1 February 2018

Wanchai 88 is a mere five minute walk from Wan Chai station (Exit A3/A4). At 30m2, the room is big enough and comfortable for a 2-person stay. We got a twin room which is equipped with a writing desk, an open wardrobe (with hangers, iron, ironing board), TV, electric water boiler, hair dryer, WiFi, and bathroom (separate from wash basin which is situated outside the bathroom.)

The room is clean, no wonky smells, and at Thompson Road and being perpendicular to the larger Fleming Road, is quieter even in the mornings. The hotel provides simple complimentary breakfast (croissant, fruit, muffin, coffee, museli and milk) with a small inner seating area (basically couches at the concierge) and an alfresco area with few tables. It was an extremely pleasant stay and at an affordable price (given it is in Hong Kong Island) and we would love to return to it next time. The only small downside was, with two elevators and limited space, you may need to wait for one or two passes during peak hours.

Interesting fact: If you find the tabletop clock too noisy, remove BOTH batteries in the clock to stop it from ticking. The clock still moves if you only remove one (which I did), and for a split second I wondered if my room was haunted!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark G

Dear Mark,

Thank you for choosing Wanchai 88 Hotels,

I'm much appreciated for your comments to our hotel, and we will solve out the tabletop clock issue.

We are looking forward to serve you in near future.

Cheers!