All reviews peak tram garden road macdonnell road mid level hk park central area rooms are clean good size walking distance priced hotel public transport buffet breakfast airport express supermarket taxi gardenview zoological
Reviewed 28 May 2018

I’d be more than happy to recommend this hotel for good location and fair price to my friends and business parters if not for the unexpected accident.

Same day as arrival, I had an interview at 4pm and wanted to iron my dress beforehand. Seeing no iron in the room, I called to request. After adjusting temperature accordingly and spraying water on garnet, same way as I ironed that dress before, the moment I put the iron on the dress I realized there was some sticky material on the iron pad that they didn't clean up previously and my dress was burnt (chest area). The iron also leaks water badly as I noticed afterwards.

I called reception immediately, their staff came up and took photos of dress and iron. The iron was taken away by staff right away as they claimed “for inspection”. Before they left, they briefly exchanged opinions right in front of me. One staff said in low voice, “should we compensate her in this case?”, the manager replied, “Who, you? Can you afford it? We can’t afford to compensate her, I’ll come up with something.” in Cantonese. I believe they didn’t realize I could understand Cantonese at that point and was shocked they'd say so right in front of me.

Around 5 minutes upon staff leaving I went downstairs, and was informed by manager that their conclusion "after thorough inspection" is hotel was not responsible for the incident and that I was solely responsible because I “misused” the iron. I was also banned from requiring any room service from now on, “to prevent potential accidents”, said the manager. With a condescending tone, he went on to say, "I'm very experienced and worked at 5 star hotels for a long time. Even 5 star hotels wouldn't compensate you, it's just your bad luck. Also, how old are you? Just 24? You are still a student, and don't know about the society, you don't have any experience traveling so you don't know how it works."

Certainly I was pissed off at this point being clearly judged by the manager as I've graduated early, been working for 3 years, and have travelled to more than 50 countries for study, work and leisure. I stay at 5-star hotels often and only chose their hotel this time for its location.

I felt mistreated and emailed the manager later that day simply revising the incident. I got a phone call from manager and when inquiring if they could make it up to me in any other way if they “can’t afford the dress”, at least some friendly attitude, the manager told me if I weren’t happy I could simply leave.

I do understand the hardship maintaining and managing a hotel in Hong Kong, but this is an expensive dress (22k plus HKD) and has special meaning to me. I’ve attended important situations in it, previously had no problem ironing it. I don’t expect full compensation as I believe I shared responsibilities for not checking the iron carefully before usage. I had to go back to LV store to check if they have more stock (turns out sold out in HK), or if there’s anything they can do to repair (turns out not possible because of materials).

Because of previous unsuccessful negotiation and communication with the hotel manager, I had to seek help from the consumer council. The case is still unsolved.

Also, this hotel doesn't have stock of basic first-aid kit. No antiseptics nor bandages. I had to take a taxi to closest private hospital for a small skin cut infection. I've inquired 5 days in a row and they refused to stock up.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
5  Thank charlieliang2b
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

This hotel is exceptional value. If you get the right room, the views can be spectacular. Don’t expect much in terms of ‘extras’, but for a good place to stay in mid-levels this is a good choice. Wifi is spotty and had probs connecting, as other reviews have mentioned. Don’t bother with breakfast, but the restaurant dinner is good. A nice walk down to Central, but a hike to get back up - take a taxi!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
GardenViewHongKong, Senior Sales Manager at Garden View Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night to go to the races at Happy valley. Well worth it. Got a free upgrade to a suite with a very good view of HK. Friendly reception staff who were very helpful in assisting me to catch the right bus to mainland China. Definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
GardenViewHongKong, 經理 at Garden View Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Dear Yuri R,

Thank you for taking your time writing to us your valuable comments with regards to your staying experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

The Garden View is located opposite the Botanical Gardens (that includes a small zoo) and so if you get a window looking over the Garden which then looks over to the harbour, it is pretty spectacular. Rates are reasonable for Hong Kong and the rooms are comfortable and enough room to spend time in. In more of a residential area, this is fairly quiet for HK. There is a restaurant within the building and also a good supermarket 50 metres down the road. PLenty of taxis and buses provide easy transport options.

Room tip: Ask for a garden view room loking over the Botanical Gardens
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GardenViewHongKong, 經理 at Garden View Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Dear brettdtsvl,

We are so happy that you choose Garden View Hong Kong as your home away from home. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

It started badly with bad service on check in and they gave us the wrong room. However they then gave us free breakfast for the rest of our stay. It’s a very steep climb to get to the hotel, I’d recommend getting a taxi. The rooms are nice, a good size, clean and with a good view (we overlooked the park). The breakfast was good and the hotel has a decent gym. Our disappointment was the pool was shut.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear BlodynHapus,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
We are highly appreciative of your kind and candid comments for us to look into where there should be room for improvement.
We hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in near future.