“Tasty and fresh Vietnamese food”
Review of Chom Chom

Chom Chom
Ranked #135 of 10,585 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$19 - US$38
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Description: Chôm Chôm is a place on Soho’s Peel Street to gather over beer and the delicious tastes of Vietnamese street food. A casual neighbourhood hangout inspired by Vietnam’s Bai Hoi culture of sipping draft beer on busy street corners, Chôm Chôm brings a new vibrant Vietnamese experience to Soho.
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I loved the food here! Classic Vietnamese food, very fresh, served fast! It's fairly hard to find a place in HK that serves such honest Vietnamese fare. I tried a few things: the Salt and pepper squid, the Lemongrass chicken skewer, the Shrimp rice paper roll - they were all incredibly tasty and their sauces hot and full of flavour!
The most amazing dish was the Caramel Black Cod - simply delicious and so unusual!
No reservations are made so you need to come fairly early - I went there on a Monday at 6:30pm and it was packed by 7pm.
This place has become one of my faves!

BlackSheepRest, Manager at Chom Chom, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Hi Irina,

Thanks for the comments, we’re so glad to hear you enjoyed our twist on Vietnamese street food. It’s awesome to hear you were such a fan, I’ve passed on your feedback to Chef Denham and team and they’re thrilled.

Next time you come you’ve got to try the shaking beef – it’s a winner!

Hope to see you on the stoop soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

At this place it is impossible to make reservations. On popular days (weekends), you will have to wait a very long time before being seated. BUT: it's worth while! Staff is friendly and food is excellent.

BlackSheepRest, Manager at Chom Chom, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments!

So pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at Chom Chom! You got it right, due to popular demand the wait can be a little long during peak times, as we are a walk-in restaurant only. As you say, we also recommend arriving as early as possible and enjoying a beer on the stoop while you wait for your table.

See you soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

We come here relatively regularly and it genuinely is some of the best vietnamese food in HK. Their 'KFC' chicken wings are divine and they always have some new and varied specials to try. You can't book so be prepared to queue, but its worth it - and you can enjoy a Hanoi beer or one of their lethal cocktails while you wait!

Hi Liane,

Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! We are thrilled that you enjoyed everything Chôm Chôm has to offer – hope the cocktails weren't too lethal for you…

The “VFC”, Vietnamese Fried Chicken Wings, (a personal fave!) are one of our signatures and I’m glad to read they hit the mark.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 4 July 2017

I recently moved to the Soho neighborhood in Hong Kong from a different part of the city. Probably my absolute favorite part of living there is my proximity to ChomChom. If it were just the food I would say it is enough, but every time I visit it is a fun enjoyable time. The staff are truly great and always on their game providing excellent and consistent service. Then there is the food... oh the food...
I dream about the Beef in Betel Leaf after a meal there. The rolls (all of them) are fantastic with my favorites being the Pho Roll and the Crispy Sole Filet Rice Paper Roll.
The main dishes are also all excellent and it can be a real challenge to pick one. Shaking beef is my all time favorite followed by the Cha Ca Hanoi. Short Rib Lettuce Wraps are also up there for me.
This is in my opinion one of those restaurants where you literally cannot go wrong with any single dish on their menu. Each time I go the food is absolutely consistently perfect.
Their cocktail menu is great as is their selection of wines and beers.
The atmosphere is casual and cozy. Their music selection is fun. Enjoy!

BlackSheepRest, Manager at Chom Chom, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Hi dkracerfl,

Thank you for your review! Every night is definitely not too much, as there are so many different dishes to try - I’m happy to see that you've tasted almost all of them!

We're thrilled to read that you enjoy your time at Chôm Chôm, and that we're your favourite neighbourhood spot. We strive to provide a fun and casual experience, alongside excellent food and drinks, so it makes it all worthwhile to get reviews like yours and know we hit the mark!

Keep coming back, and do try some of the specials on the mirrors!

See you soon on the stoop.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

The food is brilliant, the service is great. The people serving are lovely, they found out it was our anniversary and gave us a glass of champagne.

I can't rate the short rib lettuce wraps anymore highly. That is a dish I dream about.

If you're going to HK you HAVE to visit ChomChom. It's my favourite restaurant in the world :)

1  Thank blainecampbell1
BlackSheepRest, Manager at Chom Chom, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Hi Blaine,

What a pleasure! This is the kind of review that really makes my day.

Absolutely love hearing from our international visitors, I’m so pleased we were able to offer some great food and drinks in such a short stopover. (The short rib lettuce wraps happen to be my favourite dish too!)

I hope you can join us for another cocktail or two soon… fingers crossed for more than 24 hours next time!

Happy travels,
Restaurant Manager, Chôm, Chôm

Been to Chom Chom? Share your experiences!