HK Jiang Xi Guest House
Johnson Hostel
#250 of 730 hotels in Hong Kong
0.02 km
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 December 2015

This was not really 2 "guesthouse" but rather a collection of small dirty rooms in a shoddy apartment complex in the middle of bustling Argyle Street (sort of a backpackers paradise area of HongKong... a place where you go when you're not smart or capable enough to book a normal hotel).

When I say the room was small I ain't kidding. The only thing that was in the room was a bed. I have no idea how they got it inside cause the bed took up almost the whole surface area of the room. There's no room left to put your suitcase - you just have to accept it as your temporary bed-fellow.

The staff... erm what staff... there was an old lady with no teeth, that spoke absolutely no English who gave me a key that looked like it just came from 1970s. She showed me where the "shower" is with hand-gestures. Oh did I say shower? It's just a toilet, with a shower hose installed on the back of the flush water-tank. So you can go to the toilet while you shower at the same time. How convenient!

The place smelled like my old grannie's apartment during the commie days of 1980. It smelled of mildew, cabbage and sweat.

There were no blankets. The fan didn't work. Thankfully they had Wi-Fi and a whole plethora of international chargers, which was the only saving grace of the entire accommodation.

I'm sure there are better alternatives than living under a bridge. But it's debatable whether this is one of those.

Room Tip: earn some money and book a normal hotel
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Mitja I
Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

I stay there in aug 2015 for only one night,room was very small but clean, easy to find not very far from mtr, i bring a boy in a room we both enjoy stay there wish to go there again, much better then to book an hourly hotels,

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2015 via mobile

The hotel like most budget hotels or hostels in Hong Kong is located in a mansion. The bedding was clean, it had a hot shower, located right next to the mtr and a short walk to everything else in mong kok. I have stayed in a different hotel in this same building that was a lot worse than this. To sum it up you get what you pay for. If you want spotless, fresh paint and alot separate shower then I suggest the holiday Inn or a hotel a little higher in price.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2015 via mobile

We planed to stay for 5 nights. We found the "Guest house" in the Internet for very good price, so we decided to go there. We arrived very late and the staff was very friendly to us. She gave us some fresh washed towels which had some interesting color ( far away from original white ;)
Then we arrived to our room.. We didn't expect anything but the room just looked really really terrible!!! All furniture were destroyed and dirty. The BATHROOM/TOILET combination and the Toilet/Bathroom was full of mold.. very very scary! The smell of chlor was everywhere..

OK now some small List of positive and negative points:

- staff was friendly
- low price ;)
- good public connection
- good location

- very very dirty
- stinky
- very loud
- bathroom!!!!!
-some small animals are visiting you sometimes during the shower

so invest few coins more and book some better hostel!!!

We will never come back to here..

Half star for the location and half star for the staff ; -)

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Anna B
Reviewed 7 January 2015

This is the worst hotel ever stayed.

・The room was no clean
・Disgusting bad smell from bathroom
・Cigarette ash on the bathroom
・Cold shower
・Electric outlets got wet by unknown liquid(discharged water dripping outside window?)
・Seemed No wi-fi in the building(No instructions there. And reception was too far)
・Smell from beds.
・Staff was not friendly
(After check-in, we were taken to another building.)
・Door knob was about to break.

Room Tip: Check-in as early as possible
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends