“Best birthday ”
Review of Salt & Barrel

Salt & Barrel
Ranked #4,080 of 12,187 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$13 - US$51
Neighbourhood: Western (Sai Wan)
Description: Salt & Barrel is a unique taproom & kebaberie restaurant serving over 15 house crafted beers that perfectly compliment the signature food offering of handmade, specially marinated kebab varieties using premium cuts, market fresh seafood & seasonal vegetables.
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I recently booked Salt & Barrell for my birthday. We were a group of 16 for Saturday dinner. I went for the set meal deal and standard free flow package for two hours. From the outset booking staff were real accommodating. It was a really good end to end service.

The food was amazing! The cauliflower hot wings were delicious. The main course of kebabs and accompaniments was also tremendous and we did not leave hungry. Portions were very good.

The staff were really attentive and hospitable throughout.

We really enjoyed the decor and atmosphere and would definitely recommend it for private parties or group occasions.

Thanks again to all the staff. I had a very special birthday.

Date of visit: January 2019
2  Thank jaksinhk
saltandbarrelhk, Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Jaksinhk,

Thank you so much for your review and kind compliments.

We really enjoyed hosting you and your guests and look forward to seeing all of you in the very near future at Salt & Barrel.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was ok but pricey and small. They had an interesting range of beers. Slightly tucked away. Frankly a beer in my hotel room would have been as exciting, and cheaper.

Date of visit: December 2018
saltandbarrel, General Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you CBG2007 for stopping by.

You are welcome to come back to take advantage of our happy hour specials for a range of delicious local craft beers & spirits that are priced favorably from 12-7pm, every Tuesday to Sunday.

We also offer executive lunch deals, weekend royal brunch & a unique dining menu with alfresco seating - something you won’t find holed up in bed in any budget hotel room.

Reviewed 13 November 2018

Went for dinner. It's basically kebabs and other dishes with an indian twist. We had the scotch egg and lamb kebab and they were really tasty. The new manager, a british guy that joined a week ago is very welcoming and gracious. We liked the ambience of the place. Will be going back, and definitely for brunch one day to try their fry up with an indian twist as it looks great

Date of visit: November 2018
saltandbarrel, Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Brit8

Thank you very much for your kind feedback and praises. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your dinner with us and do look forward to welcoming you on your next visit for brunch.

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

What is Salt & Barrel? It’s a confusing set of messages. Apparently they only do two “seatings” (we chose 8:30pm), but on arrival on a Saturday evening the place is practically empty. There is a bar area, a big screen TV, an outside area, an interesting food menu and a tiny wine list (3 choices). The food was ok, the barramundi comes with its head and tail attached and was a little over cooked. The prawns were unrecognisable under a mass of pink sauce but tasty, the bread (naan?) was crispy and over baked. Friendly staff. Won’t rush back

Date of visit: November 2018
Matthew B, General Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2018

Dear StewartRobert,

Many thanks indeed for your comments which have been duly noted and we will be acting upon.

I would appreciate it if you could email me directly on matthew@saltandbarrel.hk, so that I can reply to you more fully, as well as try and entice you to rush back sooner than you had planned!

All the best,
Matthew Bradford - General Manager
Tel. 2761-4900

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

I had dinner with a friend here on a Friday night. The service started off bad and continued to decline throughout the night. The food however was really tasty, somewhat of a rarity in HK.

The waitress asked if I wanted a drink, I asked what the wine was that they had during the Happy Hour, she replied ‘Red and White’. Hmmm how insightful, I’d never have guessed.

We order the cheese samosa; a little heavy and very greasy also didn’t come out looking the best. The seafood choila was superb, really full of flavour and textures. The jack fruit chops were ok, the brussel sprouts weren’t particularly present, mostly the outer leaves deep fried which didn’t really work as you couldn’t tase the vegetable. The mint sour cream was wonderful, really worked with the pakora. We also had the trout - delicious and a good portion. Not all the staff bringing out the dishes knew what they were.

We were then bought the bill even though we hadn’t asked for it, I had wanted dessert. I called the waitress (same lady as before) over to ask if I could have dessert, she kept looking at her watch and um’ing and ah’ing, it was a little rude actually. She then informed us the table had a booking in 15mins. Whilst I can appreciate the situation, she should have delivered this better and not made us - paying customers - feel as though wanting to spend more and enjoy more was problematic; there a better was of saying the table is booked without looking at your watch repeatedly. She then said we could go to the bar and left us to move ourselves, not offering to take our glasses. In the end ‘our’ table remained free, the party that had booked were seated next to it.

Dessert wasn’t worth it, the chocolate mousse was terrible - too sweet and tasted as though poor quality chocolate had been used. The stout-soaked cake bits were bad and shouldn’t have been used. Nothing wrong with a simple, good quality chocolate mousse.

I’d like to try the jumbo shrimps, house paneer and the cauliflower hot wings; though the ‘Blue cheese achar, vegan ranch....’ it is served with seems a little contradictory.

So would I recommend? Yes on the basis the food was interesting and in the hope they hire some experienced F&B staff who realise the importance of customer service.

Date of visit: October 2018
Sonam_SB, General Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Thank you Rebeccah for leaving us your comments as feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us to ensure we are constantly improving to ensure all our staff are consistently providing every one of our guest the best meal, service, and experience possible.

We are pleased to hear that enjoyed our small plate items and we'll be sure to pass on your comments onto our Chef & kitchen team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Salt & Barrel again soon!