“Great food, terrible service ”
Review of Salt & Barrel

Salt & Barrel
Ranked #3,412 of 12,423 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$13 - US$51
Neighbourhood: Western (Sai Wan)
Description: Salt & Barrel is a unique taproom & kebaberie restaurant serving over 15 house crafted beers that perfectly compliment the signature food offering of handmade, specially marinated kebab varieties using premium cuts, market fresh seafood & seasonal vegetables.
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

I had dinner with a friend here on a Friday night. The service started off bad and continued to decline throughout the night. The food however was really tasty, somewhat of a rarity in HK.

The waitress asked if I wanted a drink, I asked what the wine was that they had during the Happy Hour, she replied ‘Red and White’. Hmmm how insightful, I’d never have guessed.

We order the cheese samosa; a little heavy and very greasy also didn’t come out looking the best. The seafood choila was superb, really full of flavour and textures. The jack fruit chops were ok, the brussel sprouts weren’t particularly present, mostly the outer leaves deep fried which didn’t really work as you couldn’t tase the vegetable. The mint sour cream was wonderful, really worked with the pakora. We also had the trout - delicious and a good portion. Not all the staff bringing out the dishes knew what they were.

We were then bought the bill even though we hadn’t asked for it, I had wanted dessert. I called the waitress (same lady as before) over to ask if I could have dessert, she kept looking at her watch and um’ing and ah’ing, it was a little rude actually. She then informed us the table had a booking in 15mins. Whilst I can appreciate the situation, she should have delivered this better and not made us - paying customers - feel as though wanting to spend more and enjoy more was problematic; there a better was of saying the table is booked without looking at your watch repeatedly. She then said we could go to the bar and left us to move ourselves, not offering to take our glasses. In the end ‘our’ table remained free, the party that had booked were seated next to it.

Dessert wasn’t worth it, the chocolate mousse was terrible - too sweet and tasted as though poor quality chocolate had been used. The stout-soaked cake bits were bad and shouldn’t have been used. Nothing wrong with a simple, good quality chocolate mousse.

I’d like to try the jumbo shrimps, house paneer and the cauliflower hot wings; though the ‘Blue cheese achar, vegan ranch....’ it is served with seems a little contradictory.

So would I recommend? Yes on the basis the food was interesting and in the hope they hire some experienced F&B staff who realise the importance of customer service.

Date of visit: October 2018
Sonam_SB, General Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Thank you Rebeccah for leaving us your comments as feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us to ensure we are constantly improving to ensure all our staff are consistently providing every one of our guest the best meal, service, and experience possible.

We are pleased to hear that enjoyed our small plate items and we'll be sure to pass on your comments onto our Chef & kitchen team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Salt & Barrel again soon!

- Team S&B

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

Middle Eastern restaurants are not too common in Hong Kong, and especially not in the western parts, so it made me happy to discover it around the corner from my office.
I had their lunch special, consisting of an appetizer and a kebab. Well cooked food with great flavors.
It’s a bit pricey for a lunch, but it’s a good quality lunch so you get what you pay for.

Date of visit: September 2018
Sonam_SB, General Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Dear JMJohnsson

Thank you for your kind comments and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed our lunch menu. We continue to evolve our menus over time as more guests provide their honest and valued feedback, such as you have.

We do look forward to seeing you more often in the near future.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

Newly opened in up-&-coming Western HK, this "South Asian-Persian" eatery is a breadth of fresh air. Specializing in kebob-type of slightly spicey dishes, accompanied perfectly with beer off the tap, it seems perfect for late lunch or evening casual dining gathering with friends. It is conveniently located within sight of B2 HKU MTR exit. Reasonably priced unlike most in Central, LKF or even SOHO, definitely worth trying exploring the new foodie area.

Date of visit: September 2018
Sonam_SB, General Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Dear Cyrus

Thank you for your feedback which is greatly appreciated. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your lunch with us and do look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

Salt & Barrel is doing a soft opening and as its almost next to our office we thought we would give it go. Prices are little steep for regular lunch spot but once in awhile it would be ok. For starter I had cauliflower hot wings with blue cheese achar, vegan ranch, Japanese cucumber - they were amazing not a chicken insight but wonderful. Main was black angus seekh Kebab with roasted garlic yoghurt, coconut kale, daikon achar. Again very, very good. The servings are large possibly a bit too big for lunch. I would suggest offering some smaller cheaper options, given the location and it will be mainly office workers for lunch the area is quite price sensitive. I know most of the 60 staff in my office will aim to spend around $100 for lunch.
Anyway regardless the food is wonderful.

Dear Phil,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed what Salt & Barrel has to offer and for sure will be passing your suggestions on to the team and Chef. We do hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2018

If you have been to its sister bistro Black Salt at Sai Ying Pun, you will have a certain expectation of what you will experience over here. The restaurant concept is a little bit different compared to Black Salt, as their main focus over here is being a taproom and kebab specialists. Inspired by the history of sub-continental dish, they bring back kebab cooked with authentic spices and techniques like it was served for royalty in the past. The restaurant is slightly bigger than Black Salt, however i highly recommend making a reservation especially on the weekend as the restaurant policy allows for two time-slots (6.30-8.30PM and 9-11PM). During our visit to the restaurant on Friday, it was full-house, so definitely wouldn't have a chance for walk-ins.

The dishes are overall more well executed than Black Salt in my opinion. The presentation and the taste are bolder and "riskier". Various twist of flavors are introduced to give that "fresh" feeling to the dish. I was recommended the "Flowering Cauliflower Hot Wings" without having read the description on the menu, so I had no expectation when tasting it. As a big fan of buffalo wings, I love the fact that the cauliflower tastes like it, complete with blue cheese achar, vegan ranch and Japanese cucumber. The cauliflower is crispy with a massive kick of sourness, it tastes really good and deserves a highlight. A perfect snack to be paired with the beer !!!
The other dish which looks gorgeous and colorful is the guacamole, topped with crispy papadum and beetroot chips. The beetroot chips tastes very unique and it imparts a very strong flavor on my palate with bitter aftertaste. You may or may not like this flavor. The Chef explained to us that they put one spice which gives a surprising flavor. It remains a gorgeous and well executed dish with a proper attention to details.

The main star of the night was chicken and pork kebab with choices of naan or vegetables as a side dish. The chicken is stuffed with organic egg covered with mousse made from some other part of the chicken blended with some secret spices.The pork is marinated and served with some sauces topped with capocollo ham, some vegetable and bits of chorizo. The portion was very satisfying and maybe a bit too much for 3 ladies :D

The floor staffs were very friendly and attentive considering the place was super busy during our visit. The only complain is the air conditioner because it was a bit too hot especially with so many people. Overall, they are doing a very good job just on the soft opening ! I will definitely come back to try other dishes.

Date of visit: August 2018
Sonam T, General Manager at Salt & Barrel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Dear Cynthia

We really appreciate you taking the time for the in-depth critique and thank you for acknowledging our team's hard work.

We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit real soon - hopefully we can surprise you with even more cooler tasting dishes!