“A world class, great restaurant”
Review of FRANCIS (Wan Chai)

FRANCIS (Wan Chai)
Ranked #923 of 10,896 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$19 - US$51
Description: Neighbourhood hangout offering Middle Eastern flavours inspired by the street food of Tel Aviv and serious wines at non-serious prices.
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed it so much, we came back for lunch again some weeks after travelling out to Sri Lanka and the owner not only remembered us, but also the Viognier wine we drank!
....... and the tapas style food was still to die for. Fantastic

Reviewed 30 April 2018

I went for the weekend brunch and then for dinner within a few weeks.

The food is quite good for the brunch, i particularly liked the salad with sumac. However, the service is really quite hit and miss. There are no reservations so you end up waiting outside but whilst we were waiting (for around 45 minutes) i noticed that a couple was taking up a table of 4 and rather than ask them to remove their bags, we had to wait for them to finish and then they accommodated a table for 4 and we had to wait further! The policy seems to be if they like the look of you they will seat you quickly.

On my second time, i was sat at the bar which would have been fine, but the same corner that they had previously told me could not seat two people then had two men seated which halved the space we had!

In order for this restaurant to survive in such a busy neighbourhood with so many eateries they need to start coming up with a better seating system. It was not lost on me that it seemed the chinese people were waiting longer than others….

James W, General Manager at FRANCIS (Wan Chai), responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Hi holidaysandeatsalot

We're so glad that you enjoyed our brunch menu although very disappointed to read your comments regarding the reservations policy.

As you pointed out, we are a walk in venue on a "first come, first served" basis. Once full, we do setup the waiting list so you can either enjoy a drink outside or elsewhere in the neighbourhood. If the latter, we will phone 15 minutes in advance to let you know the table is ready.

Let me assure you that we always respect the order of the waiting list but sometimes due to the intimate nature and configuration of our 30 seats, there is sometimes a longer wait for certain group sizes. However, our understanding of wait times is becoming more accurate and we as a team always try to allocate the best seating to ensure each guest has a comfortable and pleasurable dining experience.

My best
James

Reviewed 10 April 2018

I went to eat a set lunch during the opening week, so the menu may have been extended since. The hummus was good, and went well with the focaccia. I couldnt eat the falafel, as it had fava beans (there are generally two types of falafel; unfortunately, many folk of Arab origin cannot have the fava-bean version), but others in my group enjoyed it. The shnitzel was also good.

Overall, the fusion and modernity means that it doesn't hit all the traditional complex flavors, yet it is still a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

I have visited this place several times for the last couple of months. A very cozy spot around St. Francis street. It’s a little difficult to get a seat as they don’t take reservations but it’s worth the wait. The service was excellent, everyone is super friendly and very helpful in recommending dishes. The hummus was to die for and the stuffed mussels was simply the best-mouth watering! I would definitely recommend this place to everyone.

1  Thank Jaydine Skye B
Reviewed 8 April 2018

I love Francis. I ate twice in a week both in a large group and as a couple. Service is excellent, wine recommendations very good and food is just excellent. The only one downside was I didn't like the music - too loud and not in keeping with the mood of the place. Some middle eastern lounge music would have been better than 80's rock.

1  Thank Simone W

Hi Simone

We are all so pleased that you chose FRANCIS not once but twice in a week. Our music playlists tend to be very eclectic so we will certainly look to incorporate some lounge tracks ready for your next visit.

Best