“Never again”
Review of Operetta

Operetta
Ranked #3,003 of 10,691 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 February 2018

It was never going to be easy replacing Dan Ryan's & it just goes to show that putting up photos & resumes of so-called famous chefs & jovial restaurant managers don't mean a thing (look at their web page) especially when neither of them is around. What matters is the food, service & ambiance in that order. Well, the physical ambiance was fine but the food & service were pathetic. The staff is clueless ( who trains them?) & when I asked a waiter question about a certain drink she said she didn't know, went away & never came back to our table. Our second waiter wasn't much better & the manager on duty at the time was curt & snotty. There was simply no conversation or attempt to engage! This despite the restaurant being a quarter full only

The food portions were atrociously small & way too expensive for what was being served unless u ordered the Calzone which was a huge thick piece of dough pumped up with air inside which was a meager portion of filling. 2 of us at the table chose that, unfortunately. My husband's steak could have come from a children's menu and my friend's Dover sole was small, dry & lacked any sauce or flavor. My husband had just earlier that afternoon had a Dover Sole at the Golf Club which was 3 times the size & absolutely delicious & which cost half the price.

I did not say anything as it was not my treat & I did not want to embarrass our host but I cannot see how this restaurant is going to succeed in a city where many good restaurants are struggling to stay open.

This is not yr family-style Italian restaurant where the portions are decent & the atmosphere chatty & jovial. Maybe afternoons are better with set lunches at a reasonable price drawing ppl from nearby offices but something has to change if they want more satisfied customers dropping in for drinks & dinner.

1  Thank malabarber

Reviewed 28 January 2018

The whole experience made me think that the restaurant began with a fine dining concept and changed its mind midstream to become a family dining place. The menu was interesting , as was the wine list. We tried out a couple of pasta and a fish dish. The presentation of the food, including the ceremonial lifting off of the lids, was not something you expect in a café – and this was what the rest of the experience was. Very 60s orange would have been fine with the right lighting, but this was very bright and not at all fitting to a relaxed dining experience. It also showed up the floor – which was the kind of flooring which does not look clean under this scrutiny. The toilets needed checking and cleaning – rather like an economy airline toilet with wet floors, tissues on every surface and a reluctance to flush by previous users.
We enjoyed our food and wine, and the coffee was good, but I would not return in the evening because I found it difficult to relax with the number of children being permitted to use the place as a playground. There were not enough staff, but they were friendly and helpful and the manager was watching carefully what happened, as he arrived at our table as soon as we made a comment about the noisy children who were bumping into our table

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Had a business lunch there. Price is acceptable and the place is relatively good for business talk. The Kale Salad is good but the clam pasta is average.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

It was a terrible experience. The food was, at best, average. The staff was rude and extremely patronizing. Would definitely not recommend the restaurant and will definitely not visit it again.

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

Great food. Had the tuna steak which was superb. They made a customised vegetarian pasta for my wife which was also good. Service is good. Wines are excellent.