“Oh-So-Delicious!”
Review of Electric Ave - MOVED

Electric Ave
Price range: US$7 - US$32
Neighbourhood: Western (Sai Wan)
Description: We Have Moved.. To 301 Queens Rd West. We Still Are Focused On Killer Burgers But Will Slowly Introduce Some Pasta/pizza Dishes
Reviewed 12 December 2017

Never ate a burger this fast in my life, because it was just oh-so-delicious! We will definitely come back!

Reviewed 10 December 2017

Want to be treated like a real human being in Hong Kong? Come to Electric Ave, where you aren't just another alien passing by.

Want delicious multi-thousand-calorie Burrrgurrrs? Come to Electric Ave, where you aren't just a customer looking for a tolerable half-filling "meal".

This place treats you with respect, treats its menu and food quality with respect, and treats its charming tiny back-corner Sai Ying Pun location with respect. The owners are detail-oriented, personable, and unafraid.

A diamond in the rough - Electric Ave is a winner on all sides.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

We had a group of four and were very excited to come here. We are North American and have been looking for/craving a great burger in HK for months. We tried here because of all the reviews advertising this place as the best. While the burgers were very delicious - all four of us were very happy with the taste - there were several things I wish I had known before deciding to come:

1) There is almost no space to move, and the seated crowd is very pushy. If you decide to eat in it's an additional 10%. There wasn't space at first, but when we got out burgers the place was empty with no new customers. We asked if we could eat our takeout inside, and were roundly scoffed. So we walked another 10 minutes to find seating in a park.

2) The fries had an interesting rosemary flavor, but were not hot or crispy, probably because of the wait time + walking to find seating. The ketchup it comes with had cloves that two of us didn't like.

3) The service was unpleasant, and I didn't feel like I was at a cool burger joint, but rather an inconvenience to the staff. Seeing replies to unfavorable comments on this site definitely confirms that.

4) Despite boasting 90+ ingredients, and long preparation times, I wasn't hit with many distinguishable ingredients at all. There was some chutney sauce, lettuce and a cucumber that stood out, but that was it (see picture)! Maybe I'm not enough of a foodie, but it really did just seem like a regularly structured burger with excellent meat and a fluffy brioche bun. A good burger yes, but not innovative like I expected.

5) The kitchen is small, so if there are many people be prepared for your burger and fries to take over 30 minutes to prepare.

6) Overall, I've spent a lot less for a lot more in the past, so while this place will satisfy your craving for a good burger, you may still leave feeling a bit ripped off.

3  Thank Sam L
Chi Sin B, Owner at Electric Ave, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Hi, sorry that you seemed not to fully enjoy your visit to EA.
I think if you had been looking forward to visit us for so long then as we advertise so, you must have known in advance that we are indeed a tiny restaurant with a tiny kitchen. Yes it can be tight for all concerned. As far as wait time we did warn you it would be at minimum 20 minutes because you ordered chicken, we even write about prep times on the board for all to see and it is then up to you if you want to wait or not. You are always welcome to dine in if there are seats available but you chose not to. Once food is placed inside a container the quality deteriorates immediately through sweating and after waiting 20-30 minutes I am sure your hopes were that it was dine in quality but that never happens I am sad to say. As my wife was serving you I am pretty sure she did not scoff at you but rather this is a cultural misunderstanding of her mannerisms. We are not in Canada where I am sure the 90 ingredients like the UK or USA at readily available instead we are in Hong Kong where all products are imported. Trust me when I say we make every effort to ensure that our burgers are the biggest and most homemade in Hong Kong. I think it is natural not to win the hearts of everyone bit we mostly succeed as repeat custom is our bread and butter. May I suggest Beef & Liberty if you enjoy a more comfortable setting. We do hope to see you again and you can let me know who you are so I will personally take good care of you all. On a final note however it's not appropriate that you comment on my comments of other reviews as you do not know the story just as I won't comment about whether you are foodie enough it's just not polite.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Small place but genuine all made by hand on site .
Had the classic burger and there fries can't eat more today.

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

It takes quite something to topple Butcher Club’s ‘Wu-Tang’ offering but the ‘Classic’ burger here does just that, with room to spare! The “90+” ingredients combine to create a juicy, delicately sweet double patty, with tasty cheddar cheese - stilton on offer too - and perfectly crisp but soft buns adding ever more flavour. I was blown away. And stuffed. At lunchtime, that particular delight as well as chips and a drink will only set you back $140 including service. A steal for the quality. My only slight reservation is that the chips had a bit too much rosemary on (a good choice for strong-flavoured but at risk of overpowering weaker flavours) but the lovely homemade ketchup more than made up for this. And all the other reviewers seem to have loved the herb’s presence, so maybe it’s just me. Service is very friendly and I had an illuminating chat with the owner afterwards about the ingredients and process...though it was mainly just me raving about the burger I had just had. To top everything off, they were blasting out hip-hop classics and bangers (Q-Tip, Dilated Peoples, Redman to name but a few). So, pretty much the perfect burger place and I absolutely cannot wait to try their other options!

Date of visit: November 2017