Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from US$17.60
from US$42.23
from US$40.61
1,323 results
All reviews walking tour great tour free walking political situation informative tour highly recommend this tour great introduction history insight housing
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 September 2019

I tried booking a while ago but unfortunately there were no more adventurous people that wanted to join the tour that night. So I took the leap and splurged for a private tour. It was the best money I spent in my 5 days in HK!!!! Michael is super friendly and most important knowledgeable. He did not tire from all my questions and you can easily tell he has the know and the passion. I highly recommend this particular tour because if you are interested in the local culture, and food is the way to go about it, you need Micael to guide you. I hope to return one day!

Date of experience: April 2019
2  Thank moriag
Reviewed 4 September 2019

Excellent, informative, yet heart-breaking tour, which gives a thorough and shocking insight into the housing and economic disparities between Hong Kong's residents. From the perceived glitz and glamour usually seen and experienced by tourists, to the reality of the poverty and inhumane living conditions of hundreds of thousands living in cramped, multi-occupancy rooms, cage houses, steamer rooms etc. Our guide (S P Yip) was excellent, informative, professional and passionate about educating the wider world re the crisis and inequality within his home city. Everyone should take this tour. It has left a huge, life- long impact on me, and I am forever grateful to S P Yip, as I could so easily have visited Hong Kong with my rose-tinted spectacles, and never have seen or understood the reality and crisis, which urgently needs addressing. If you don't take this tour you haven't seen Hong Kong!!

Date of experience: August 2019
2  Thank janengelberg
Reviewed 1 September 2019 via mobile

Michael gave great historical and political background about the current situation. He is well spoken and encouraged questions.

2  Thank cgs345
Reviewed 1 September 2019

Terry, our tour guide, was extremely knowledgeable and articulate, and without exaggeration or sensationalism gave us a devastating portrayal of the economic situation of the less privileged segments of Hong Kong's population. This is a tour you absolutely shouldn't miss, and it made my stay in Hong Kong meaningful in a way I hadn't anticipated.

Date of experience: October 2018
2  Thank JeffMartin7
Reviewed 30 August 2019

We spent a week in Hong Kong and after visiting some of the most beautiful parts, including the the nunnery and the lotus gardens, the big Buddha and so on we decided that it was time to see how the real locals lived.
We met at a metro stop in the area and were left at the same stop about three hours later.
Arnie was a very special guide who had the plight of the people living in this area very much at heart.
Among other things he took us to some of the houses were entire families live in one room flats or where rooms have been divided into four cages..,each for one person to sleep in.
He explained to us that the people of Hong Kong are too proud to live and beg on the streets and even that theft is not in their life style although once they have paid their extortionate rents they have little money for food.
This tour was a real eye opener for us and for all those people who believe that the locals in Hong Kong have got it made.
Arnie was very well informed and also gave us a lot of social and political background to the situation in the poorer parts of the city.
The contrast between this and the glamour that can be seen in other parts of the city is very unsettling.
In conclusion, if you are visiting Hong Kong this tour is a must (otherwise you haven't seen the city).
I would recommend this tour to everybody who is passing through.

Date of experience: July 2019