“THE GREAT SOUVLAKI”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Description: Chef Greg Malouf's signature restaurant in Hong Kong
Reviewed 25 September 2016

I had Sunday lunch today at Olive in Soho, HK. I've had many meals in this neighborhood but yet to have eaten at Olive. Fantastic lunch. The service was excellent, the food was very good and the atmosphere, relaxing and cool. We had the Lamb Souvlaki with the Harissa Sauce. One side of fries and one side salad. Very, very good and the Lemon Squash was good as well. Great spot for lunch if you're on the island, or even close. I took the MTR over from Hung Hom because I was told it was THAT GOOD. I was not disappointed. The lamb was perfect, the Pita fresh and the Harissa sauce had a mild bite. PERFECT.

GuestRelationsHK, Public Relations Manager at Olive, Greek & Middle Eastern, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

Thank you very much for visiting Olive and sharing your wonderful comments on our food and service. Our team is proud of bringing you delightful dining experience. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit. Regards.

Reviewed 20 September 2016 via mobile

My favourite Middle Eastern restaurant wasn't open for the lunch this day so we tried Olive. They have several offers for lunch at a reasonable price. We decided on the chicken souvlaki with tatziki sauce. It should be good and easy. It wasn't. The wrap had obviously been microwaved and was soggy. It is supposed to have a slight smokey flavour of being on a bbq or at least a hot plate. It hadn't. The chicken, if you could find it was tender. The tatziki was ho hum. Service, oh boy, very hard work. How difficult is it to answer, "is the harrisa sauce very spicy". I guess I could have been speaking in tongues! The waitress finally understood a nd it was brought on the side, but made for a dry meal. Our fault? Perhaps. It could be other meals are better.

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent dining experience at Olive.
We do appreciate you taking the time to advise of your experience as it assists us greatly in ensuring our performance and service standards are going to be improved. Apologies for your disappointing experience, I will make sure to share your feedback with our team.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

My brother who has lived in HK for 21 years is a frequent visitor to this restaurant and took us tonight for dinner. The service and food were exceptional. Well worth a visit. Not a huge selection on the menu, meaning not a book and pages and pages but certainly enough to choose from. The calamari and halloumi starters were very good. I had the duck leg with chickpea stew and angel hair pasta was very flavourful. Others had the lamb loin and the chicken skewers. The food as I have put it sounds basic but the menu explanations were in much more detail and the favours of all the food were exceptional. I would definitely go again.

GuestRelationsHK, Public Relations Manager at Olive, Greek & Middle Eastern, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2016

Thank you very much for the five-star review of Olive. We are thrilled that you liked the food and service provided. Your kind words is appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit. Regards.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

I'm from Melbourne and have always loved MoMo's and was delighted years ago to discover Greg Malouf's Olive in Elgin St in Hong Kong.. Since then I have been there almost once a month and never had a meal that was anything but exceptional. The lunch special is probably the best deal in town, two fabulous courses for $118. I can never decide what is my favourite, but I always order the mezze - the best baba ganoush I have ever had. The salmon with skordalia is also fabulous - but really so is everything on the menu. If I have a criticism, it is that the restaurant is a bit too air conditioned but that is just nit-picking :)

GuestRelationsHK, Public Relations Manager at Olive, Greek & Middle Eastern, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

Huge thanks for taking the time to share your comments, it is greatly appreciated. I am absolutely delighted you had an enjoyable (the food they had) at Olive. Your reviews mean a lot to us and we hope to see you again in the future. Regards.

Reviewed 18 June 2016

Although this restaurant has been around for 10yrs+ I had never been
We walked in on a Friday evening, they still had a few table
Good atmosphere, a bit noisy but not too loud. They are (smartly) closing doors/windows rather than letting the super hot and humid air come in. Already on these last 2 points way better than 75% of the restaurants in the same area

The food was simple but very well executed. They have a large sample of vegetarian dishes, and both veggie dishes, fish and meat were pretty good
Service was prompt and smiley

A very nice experience, will go back

GuestRelationsHK, Guest Relations Manager at Olive, Greek & Middle Eastern, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at Olive. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed dining at our restaurant so much. It is very important for us your comments as they make us keep offering a great customer service. Regards.