All reviewsbasecamp explorerwalking safarioutdoor showergame driveswatering holesalt lickmasai guidesanimal behaviortwo nightsmain tentwater holefantastic experienceoff roadplenty of hot waterspecial thanksday safarifamily tent
Reviewed 9 February 2015

We´ve been to several camps in Kenya, but this is the best one of them all.
Our 2 night stay at Eagle View was part of a 4 night/5 day safari organized by Basecamp Explorer. We started at Basecamp Masai Mara, then one night at the WIlderness Camp, finishing off with Eagle View.
The location is magnificent, just above a small river, overlooking (eastwards) a great savannah plain. The rooms as well as the main buildings are quite new, and gave a sensation of luxury in the wilderness. You can shower outdoors or indoors. We chose not to have the outside tent covers drawn at night, so we saw the sun rising in the East, a great way to start the day.
Do start the day early, either for walking safari or for an early morning game drive. The air is still fresh, and you get to see more animals than in the hot afternoon. We saw a hippo returning to the river after grazing at night, which was fun, otherwise you see them only in the water.
We had some great game drives! Our guide was extraordinarily knowledgeable. He could spot birds (lots of eagles) or lions through the corner of his eye while driving. I would say that he added lots of quality to our stay.
One afternoon drive he spotted the head of a cheetah lying at the edge of an open field, and a Grant Gazelle some 100 yards away. Suddenly the cheetah´s head disappeared. He drove on a little, then parked the jeep. He said that we would be seeing a cheetah kill. Indeed - a couple of minutes later we saw it - the cheetah chased the gazelle and caught it after some 4-5 seconds, laying down his prey about 15 yards away from us! Fantastic! This was a first for our guide, as well.
In addition to this kill we also saw a female lion take down a wildebeest.
There are lots of animals in this conservancy. You can´t miss them. And because there are few camps, you are not disturbed by a high number of jeeps driving around. So when we saw the three male lions patrolling their territory there was only one jeep in addition doing the same.
The camp itself is great, with a large viewing area that at night serves as a place for camp fire. The food is very good, and we got seconds if we asked for it.

The picnic breakfast was really good, in fact we did that twice, so I can´t comment on the breakfast at the restaurant.

We were a bit confused when we found out that one type of beer is included in the cost, while another type is not. This could have been more clearly communicated either orally or in the folder in the room.

The staff were friendly and engaging. They performed their classic jumps while singing their local Happy Birthday song to the guest celebrating her birthday!

All in all a 100% satisfactory experience!

Room Tip: We chose the rooms facing east to get the sunrise and the rise of the full moon. The others face west.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2015 via mobile

I loved the time i spent at this camp with my fellow students. It's beautifully located with an amazing view, and the rooms are also so amazing. The staff treated us like kings, and our last night we went for a beautiful suprise dinner outside in the middle of the bush. The Masai's also entertained us with masai dance, and that was so much fun! I highly recommend this camp to everyone!!
A special thanks to our guides Manfred, Derrick and Anthony! You made this trip awesome for us!!

• Stayed: February 2015
2  Thank marie k
Reviewed 7 February 2015

We were 16 tourismstudents staying two nights at Eagle View and one at Wildernes after some great days at BCMM. Eagle View was amazing for us as well, an amazing location with fantastic view. Eagle View provides great service, food and atmosphere. The rooms are beautiful and feels very luxury. There is free wifi and drinks included. We had some amazing gamedrives were we saw lots of lions. This is definitely a place worth visiting! :):)

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2015

We stayed at this camp in September for 4 nights. The only thing bad about the stay was it was only 4 nights. We had a perfectly charming time. The rooms are fantastic, clean, beautiful and they have everything you could want. The staff were attentive. I did feel bad during rain that our guide was waiting for us to get ready. I would recommend being on time for dinner and not making them wait in the rain. It is necessary to have a guide to go back in forth at dinnertime/nighttime. We were accosted by animals near our tent, and I must say the Masaai people were amazing at dispersal. The food was fantastic. It was hilarious that when I would say no to dessert, our wait person would always look disappointed and promise me it was Chocolate Mousse, how he could devine that is my favorite dessert? Anyway, it was always promised so I capitulated and it was actually Never Chocolate Mousse, We found this hilarious. Anyway, they were attentive and though it was cool during our stay, they did their best during dinner and game drives to keep us warm. We actually wore thick blankets they provided over our down jackets, hats and gloves may be wanted on the early/late game drives as well. Just be prepared. As for the laundry - they were doing it by hand, so when it did not come back for 2 days and we asked, they explained and were very sorry it was taking so long. I guess we just assumed a machine. I also did get my ladies undergarments back with a note saying they cannot do these - and some soap. It is just a cultural thing. I found another person had this same experience in So Africa when she was not getting any underwear back, she found they were keeping them safe in one of the ladies rooms. Americans are not going to "get this". They should just say they cannot do undergarments and leave it at that. We saw all the game we came to see and much much more. Our guide Derrick was outstanding. What a trouper. He seemed just as excited as we were to see the game. He obviously loves his job. He took great care and time in making our experience a wonderful one. I have missed this place every day since we left. The views are spectacular and I cannot stress how restful and beautiful it all was. We did the walking Safari, it was more to stretch our legs than see game and was wonderful. The warriors that accompanied us were on the job, pointing out prints in the mud of a recent lion following a gazelle at a run, and they directed us elsewhere. They may not seem like they are paying attention, but believe me they can spot a critter from miles away. It always amazed me at what they picked up on. They have a second sense about the animals in the area. I cannot recommend this camp enough. Great time and unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms here face and expanse of the Mara. You will watch the wildlife from the comfort of your balcony. All the rooms were really the same and all top notch.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chance2g0
Reviewed 11 January 2015

You come to the Mara area for the animals, but you will be spoiled by the wonderful staff and great facilities at this beautiful and charming 9 tent camp. It is a very intimate place where everyone works so hard to meet your every desire...great food, nicely appointed tents, great hot water and a view from above to watch the constantly changing game that makes their way to the water holes below the camp.

You will love the density of the cats in the Naboisho Conservancy...know as the finest in the Mara. Lions, Leopards and Cheetahs abound and the local Masai employees will tell you all you want to know about them. It was a great 3 night visit!!

THIS PLACE IS VERY SPECIAL!!!

Room Tip: the tents are well spread out...guaranteeing your privacy. we had the last tent out on one side and it was wonderfully private and all tents have great views to the evolving wildlife below.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple