All reviews mombasa road rooftop pool guest laundry room courtesy bus bar and room service newly opened hotel reservations manager security checkpoint enjoyed staying here shuttle service next morning night stop an early morning flight would stay again short drive business trip to nairobi modern hotel
Reviewed 30 April 2018

The following review is lengthy, but will contain worthwhile information (about both the hotel, and the general experience of travel into the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport) for persons who have never traveled through Nairobi previously. I hope that the my experience and the information are helpful!

I had (what I can barely call a full overnight layover due to being bumped from my earlier flight from Johannesburg) in Nairobi en route to Amsterdam. I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the airport, and wanting to stick with the brand as a Hilton Honors member. This hotel is NEW and beautiful! Unfortunately, I only got to spend about 5 hours in the room due to getting caught up in the transit visa cue at the airport (TIP: get an E-Visa prior to your Kenya arrival and save yourself 90 minutes of queue time! Also, an overnight transit visa is only $20, $50 if you are actually staying in Kenya). The room was beautiful, and the bed slept very comfortably for the 3.5 hours that I had to use it!

The reason for the 3 star rating? The hotel shuttle. ONLY USE THE SHUTTLE GOING TO THE AIRPORT. Save yourself the trouble and frustration of waiting for the shuttle to take you there. I met some great people (while in queue at the airport) who had used this hotel previously, and told me that the shuttle pickup service was terrible. They suggested taking a cab. I convinced them to try again, since we had about 20 minutes left in line to get our visas. I called the hotel, and was told that the driver would be sent immediately since it would take him some time to get to the airport (I will explain this process later - you will want to know this if you have never traveled through Nairobi, as I had not, previously). He asked that I let them know when we were coming out. I called initially at about 1030pm. We got out to the curbside about 1115pm, and no driver was in sight. We called the hotel several times, and they told us that the driver was there (which he was not). After a 10 minute wait and the time approaching midnight, we hopped in a cab which had us at the hotel in about 8 minutes.

Once we got to the hotel, as in other NE African nations (like Egypt) - there is a barrier/checkpoint before you are able to get onto the property for guest safety. The check in process was lengthier than expected, but this was likely because I was extremely tired and a bit impatient by this point. The front desk staff were very warm and apologetic regarding the shuttle debacle. I set up a shuttle with the other guests that I had met to return to the airport at 515am. This was smooth, no problems with the process, but getting to the airport in general - is a process!

It was suggested by my new found friends that we leave 30 minutes ahead of any expected time due to "terrible traffic". I figured that it could not be that bad at 5am! The issue is less of the traffic, and more of the process of getting to the airport. You have to clear an area which looks like a toll plaza, and then we were instructed by the driver to get out and meet her on the other side after we got our "body scan" - which was a security checkpoint with metal detector and XRAY machine. Once we finished (about 2 minutes), we had to wait another 5 minutes for her to get through the line of cars. It is a bit of pandemonium with about 7 lanes of cars driving over to the right to pick up throngs of passengers! Then you finally get to the airport, where there is also a security checkpoint at the door (before you get your ticket/drop off baggage), in addition to the regular security checkpoint!

With ALL of this being said, I WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN with all of this advance knowledge of what to expect. The hotel was nice, and apparently, there is a Nature Preserve right outside of the airport (which would be great for short stays).

Room Tip: There is a rooftop pool! I did not get to experience this during my stay, unfortunately.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank JayLorraine
Steve M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nairobi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear JayLorraine,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to review us.

Please accept our most sincere apologies regarding the shuttle pick up from the airport. We are reviewing the delivery of this service to make it more efficient for the comfort of our guests.We are glad that even with this shortfall, you still would trust us with your future stays. We really trust that you will honor us with future visits for us to have a chance to make it just right.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

This is a newly opened hotel in Nairobi, with that brand new feel that lends a certain flavour to your stay. The location is excellent, minutes away from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. It is also short drive away from the Nairobi National Park, and a short distance across the bypass to attractions such as the Giraffe Centre and Daphne Sheldrick for the elephants. Its superb location means that you are not spending unnecessary time in the traffic.

The rooms are spacious and very well appointed. The furnishing is very high quality and the rooms extremely comfortable. There is a huge flat screen TV, and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The bathrooms are large and provided with all the amenities you would expect.

The breakfast buffet was varied and excellent, with a large selection and fresh fruit and juice on offer.

The rooftop pool is gorgeous and a nice place to spend some time in after a visit to the gym on the top floor. The hotel also has a guest laundry room on the top floor! This hotel is ideal for a short or long stay option.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business

Dear Alykhan,

Thank you for staying with us and honoring us with your review.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and trust that you will be back again in future. The team here will always do all that they can to make your stays both better and brighter!

Thank you!

Reviewed 28 April 2018

The bathrooms are spacious, the rooms are comfortable, beds are very cozy ... ! Everything one needs for a short or long stay. The staff are willing, friendly, welcoming and helpful ... and strive to be in service of their guests. The food is good overall, though at times is inconsistent. The food menu could do with additional variety.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Steve M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nairobi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Dear Mark,

Thank you for staying with us, we are glad that you chose us!

Thank you too for the kind review, we have taken note of your feedback on our menu offering and our chef will certainly re-look at the variety and availability to further improve on guest dining experiences. We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

A good value new hotel close to the airport. Very comfortable room with good shower and nice large bed. We emailed in advance and got a pick up from the airport. Good security. Didn't have breakfast so can't comment on it. Would stay again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Steve M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nairobi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Dear VerreauxEagleOwl,

Thank you for honoring us with your visit, we are glad that you chose to stay with us. The team here is delighted by your kind review though we regret that you never had a chance to sample our sumptuous breakfast offering. We nevertheless invite you to stay with us again and enjoy our hospitality. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

The hotel is in a perfect location nearby the airport. Room is spacious, The staffs are nice and helpful specially Mr. Peter in the reception. Breakfast buffet has so many options to choose from. Overall, the service is good.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Steve M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nairobi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Dear Cjalcala,

Thank you for staying with us and also for your pleasant review. We are glad that we made your stay delightful. We look forward to hosting you again in future.