“Trip of a lifetime - King Ramses Tour”
Review of On The Go Tours

On The Go Tours
Ranked #41 of 307 Tours in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: From grand palaces to historic temples, hot desert plains to snowy mountain peaks, cosmopolitan high rise to safaris at sunrise; we bring you the finest sights and adventures the world has to offer. Immerse yourself in a truly authentic local experience on one of our popular guided group tours which are a great choice for single travellers too, make a date with some of the world's most colourful festivals, take an unforgettable family adventure, tailor make that dream holiday or delve into the pulse of the world's most exciting cities on our wide range of day trips.
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Egypt has been on my bucket list and the pyramids have been something I've always wanted to see so truthfully the only thing that was holding me back from going was the fear of it not being safe. I'm partially grateful for having that fear because that's what lead my husband and I to book a tour, rather than try to see Egypt on our own, which was the best decision we made. Here's my breakdown of the different aspects of our trip.

The tour itinerary:
We had a pretty full schedule and lots of early mornings and normally I wouldn't be thrilled about that since I'm a night owl but it was perfectly planned as the mornings were a lot cooler and fewer tourists. We were not only awestruck by the pyramids, but all the various temples such as Philae, Abu Simbel, Kom Ombo (and more) which were massive and elaborately covered in hieroglyphs. We also had the opportunity to check out the Valley of the Kings, museums and at the end got some time to relax by the Red Sea which made it feel like a well balanced trip. Overall, I felt like we got a great taste of Egypt in our 2 weeks there.

Tour Guide:
We were lucky enough to have Momo guide us throughout the 2 weeks, whose passion for the country and history was infectious and truly gave us a good understanding of what we were looking at. He was more than happy to share his wealth of knowledge and ensured that we were all well taken care of. He didn't just do the bare minimum, he arranged for us to have "family" dinners and outings and would hang out and smoke shisha with us so that we could have a taste of the local experience. Having a good tour guide can make or break an experience and he was pivotal in making our experience incredible.

On the Go:
I don't have a lot to compare to, as I've only ever done 1 other tour however I was blown away from the moment we stepped foot into the airport. In fact, we've never had such an efficient airport experience as were escorted from start to finish with ease. The tour let us turn off our brains as everything was arranged and organized for us. From hotels to transportation even to tipping and entrance tickets - we just had to go along for the ride! My only complaint was that the itinerary given to us was mixed with some of the other tours, which made it a bit confusing to follow & doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to give us all our schedules based on our specific tour. However, that was so minor and I would happily book another trip with On the Go!

Accommodations & Food:
We stayed in some really nice hotels, including Marriott & Radisson and really got our money's worth. My husband and I also upgraded to the Nile River cruise, which we felt was worth every penny as well! All the included breakfasts and the cruise dinners were great with lots of variety and flavours. The only thing that I didn't particularly love was the overnight train, but it was still an experience! I'm also a fan of hummus, baba ganoush & falafels but not a huge meat eater so I was eventually craving different foods (obviously this is my own preference)

Safety/Culture:
Lastly, I cannot stress enough how safe we felt in Egypt. There was not a single moment that I was ever uncomfortable and actually felt even safer knowing that pickpocketing isn't even a thing there. With there being lots of tourist police and the overall guidance, our biggest threat was overpaying for some souvenirs! All the vendors were extremely friendly, albeit some were overly pushy but that's to be expected pretty much anywhere you go. We always got amazing customer service wherever we went, even when we ventured out on our own without the tour.

All in all, we had an incredible trip & would happily do it all again in a heartbeat. Egypt is a beautiful country with a plethora of history and culture and should be something that everyone experiences at least once in their lifetime!

2  Thank ilinadas
Hollie Y, Marketing at On The Go Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your detailed and extensive review!

You cover so much in here and we're very grateful you've taken the time to share your experience with other travellers. I hope it puts anyone in doubt over visiting Egypt at ease and inspires them to take the plunge and get over there. As you say, it's a beautiful country with so much going for it.

Thanks again and we sincerely look forward to seeing you on tour with us again in the near future!

All reviews
"african travel"
"optional extras"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I just finished an On The Go Tour of Egypt and it was far and beyond what we expected. Momo was our guide and he was so knowledgeable and passionate about Egyptian history. We learnt so much. He was a fantastic guide and always ready to go the extra mile. This trip was one we had always dreamed of. The Giza pyramids were spectacular, as expected, but we did some extra trips such as Abu Simbel and our cruise down The Nile that were fantastic too. The Valley of The Kings ( including the tomb of Tutankhamun) And Queens in Luxor blew our minds, especially the tomb of Nefertari as did Luxor Temple. We felt totally safe the whole time and would encourage anyone who has an Egyptian dream to book it now. Momo is excellent and passionate about his role as a guide and will enhance your whole stay! Amir was a great guide too!Thanks On The Go xo

4  Thank Terri N
Hollie Y, Marketing at On The Go Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Hi Terri,

Thanks so much for your review.

We're so pleased we could help your dream come true and you finally got to experience Egypt and its many highlights. Sounds like you had a great time!

Hope it inspires you to travel with us again in the future :-)

Reviewed 1 May 2018

On The Go blew me away with their organisation, from the representative waiting at the airport before passport control to the ease of all tickets etc. being pre-bought for all temples it was amazing! The whole tour I felt very safe and well looked after, I felt safer in Egypt than I have in many European countries and would not think twice about going back! The tour guide, Momo ran the King Ramses tour like the pro that he is, not only was Momo full of information about every aspect of Egypt culture and life her knew the history of EVERYTHING! Momo was extremely professional and open with all guides about how much we should pay for items at markets while also guiding us to locations to purchase legit items and support locals. We were also supported by representatives in all locations, like Amir in Cairo who supported us with airport transfers, money exchange and all of the crazy questions we had!
All sites visited on the tour were amazing, from the first look at the Pyramids to going to night events such as Luxor Temple by night everything we went to was extremely worth while. I took up a few extra excursions, Abu Simbel was by far the most outstanding! I was most looking forward to the usual Pyramid site you dream about when going to Egypt but Abu Simbel simply blew my mind! The experience of the Felucca boat was simply beatiful, sleeping 30cm off the Nile on a boat on the calmed river was the experience of a lifetime! I am one to get sea sick, but this boat was calm, smooth, relaxing and the fresh air and swims in the Nile was too good! Along with this Momo offered the group every night to organise dinner if this was not already included, as well as additional extras most days. Momo went above and beyond to try and show us and get us to experience everything Egypt possible!
Can not recommend this tour, the tour guide and the company enough! Thank you Momo and On The Go!!

3  Thank KaraJane S

Hi Kara,

Thanks so much for your review.

It sounds like you had the most incredible adventure and we're so glad we could be a part of that.

Look forward to seeing you on tour with us again in the future!

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

We have just returned from the "Egypt Unplugged tour" and simply can't wait to go back. The friendly representative (Ameer) and amazing tour guides (Alam and Momo) have assisted in making this trip a once in a life time experience. They were extremely fun and quite popular with the group, helping us find our way and answering our every question. The visits to the pyramids and the temples were nothing short of amazing. Thanks to On the Go Tours, this trip was something that we'd never forget. The only disappointment of the trip being The Oasis Hotel, apparently a 4 star rated hotel, which served inedible food and overall wasn't that great. However, On The Go did warn us about the difference in standards. I'd definitely travel with them again!

Hollie Y, Marketing at On The Go Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Thanks so much for your review.

Thrilled to hear that your trip to Egypt was such a good one and you enjoyed the visits to the main temples and, of course, the Great Pyramids. We're so proud of our local guides and it's always great to receive this sort of feedback.

Regarding the Oasis Hotel, we'll pass on your comments to our operations team to have a look into what we can do to improve this aspect of the tour.

Thanks again for leaving a review and we hope to see you on tour with us again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 April 2018

Have just returned from a once in a lifetime holiday to Egypt and Jordan. Everyday brought something new and exciting from the pyramids to a felcucca down the Nile to the amazing sights in Jordan.

Thanks to On the Go tours everything ran smoothly, I was met at the airport and assisted through customs, taken to my hotel and the OTG representative ( Mido) even waited for 10 minutes after check in to make sure everything was ok.

Our main guide was Alam, He was exceptionally knowledgeable, nice and friendly and made us feel our group was a family. He went out of his way to make sure everything went smoothly.

As a solo female traveler my family and friends were worried for my safety travelling to Egypt on my own. But not once did I feel unsafe.
My highlights would have to be the pyramids and having my birthday in the Valley of the Kings. Was able to visit Nefertari tomb.

Would highly recommend this tour and Egypt to everyone. Well worth a visit.

Hollie Y, Marketing at On The Go Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thanks so much for your review.

It's great to hear that this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip for you and that you were able to celebrate your birthday in such a wonderful destination. We're so pleased you enjoyed Egypt and felt safe travelling around the country.

It's feedback like yours that helped Alam win our Tour Guide of the Year award in Egypt and we'll be sure to pass on your comments.

Thanks once again and we look forward to welcoming you on tour with us again in the near future.