See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was supposed to stay at Faden House for 6 nights, but left after only 1 night. The hotel had acceptable common areas: the breakfast area, the lounge and the pool areas were nice. These were the reasons why I thought it would be a comfortable stay. But after getting to the room which was in the building adjacent to the administration, it started going downhill.

The room (#12) is small; so small that the only place to put a TV is on the upper left side of the room. But due to the sharp angle, you would strain your neck watching. The shower enclosure had half an enclosure: it had no door. When showering, the bathroom floor gets wet. The water from the sink faucet goes in all directions when turned on, thus contributing to the mess. The promised internet availability in the rooms was also disappointing. When the wi-fi can be detected, the signal was so weak to even send an email.

Since I arrived late, I brought up the issues with the Front desk. I started with the Internet. I was told that the hotel internet is just not working but a technician was scheduled to come by that day. I accepted this, even if I tested that the signal was okay in the main building. When I brought up the bathroom problems, they also said someone was going to repair these. I agreed not to check out first until I give them the chance to fix the room. The hotel was not full at this time, though, which made me wonder why I was given the problematic room.

As I was leaving the room to go to work, the door lock came unhinged as I was locking it. I decided to leave at that time since there seemed to be too many quality issues in Faden House. For the amount being paid, there were other better options.

The saving grace of Faden House is its proximity to the UN (Utex) Base in Kinshasa. If you value location above all else, I suggest check the rooms in the main building if internet is also important. Ask to inspect the room and test the wi-fi before signing any document.

Room tip: At the time of this writing, room 12 was not in good condition.
Date of stay: November 2013
4  Thank ATrenas
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We held a three day meeting. The room was appropriate and well air conditioned. The overhead projector worked well after some fiddling by the technicians. The cables on the floor were a challenge and kept us in good shape avoiding tripping! The audio system worked well. We had coffee beaks and lunches every day and a cocktail the last day. The food is very average but participants seemed to enjoy it. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We felt quite safe.
Cleanliness could definitely be improved. In all a good experience and walking distance from the Fleuve Congo hotel at a reasonable price.

Date of stay: March 2013
1  Thank DonaTita
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Clearly some of the people giving this place "great" reviews are more used to youth hostels than hotels. Let's face it, Kinshasa is not a hotel lover's Mecca, and really the only place worth staying is Le Voyageur (although perhaps the new Fleuve is worth a look).

Faden House has some pluses; it's located near the diplomatic quarter convenient for a safe, pleasant walk along the river. The Grand Hotel is a block away, which despite being a bit of a dump, is good for people watching. And the staff at Faden are very kind and helpful. Also, they have include a respectable breakfast in the price of the room.

Sadly the rooms themselves are small and rather dingy, the wifi is hopeless, the TV reception is almost non-existent, and the whole place is generally dull.

Date of stay: February 2013
2  Thank christian h
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Do not leave any valuables (esp. cash) in the room. Even if you lock things into your suitcase, once you return from breakfast you will find the lock appearantly untouched but all money gone. The place is reknown for theft.

If you take all precausions its a good place...but be vigilant as everywhere in Kinshasa.

Date of stay: August 2010
12  Thank Olaf B
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Great hotel with staff that will go out of their way to help you. Held a 5 day conference with 150 people attending. The hotel fixed lunches and afternoon coffee for all of us and it was great. If we had any requests the staff was very helpful and the management also did their very best to assist. Would also stay here even if I was travelling on my own, nice area (Gombe) and security is good. Extra +++ for the swimingpool. Free internet also a big +.

Room tip: Room no 7 is very comfortable
Date of stay: May 2011