“Give the local beef a miss”
Review of Stone Grill

Stone Grill
Ranked #12 of 248 Restaurants in Noumea
Price range: US$18 - US$37
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: STEAKHOUSE: cook it yourself on a hot stone! Best meat and seafood in Nouméa - large choice of beer and wine - homemade desserts
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Ate here twice during a recent visit. The first time I had the New Zealand rib-eye which wasn't too bad (bit thin) but the next I tried the local beef rib-eye which was gristly and tough, so be warned.

Had an odd exchange with the waitress when she brought out the Specials board, which had one of the items identical to one on the regular menu but at higher cost. I asked what was so special about it but she had no idea. I asked why was it more expensive than the same thing on the regular menu and she disappeared and came back to say that she'd match price on the regular menu. But still she couldn't say what made it 'special' and why it deserved to be on the Special board.I suggested that perhaps if it was on the Specials board it could be a little cheaper, but this just confused her terribly and I gave up and ordered the gristly local rib-eye! Perhaps I should have just gone with the 'special'!

Anyway a reasonable place to have a reasonably priced (for Noumea) steak dinner.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

Went with a family of 10 ranging in ages and the kids were well looked after while the adults had a super tasty meal.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

We turned up for dinner with no booking and cheerily shown to a table. The staff were lovely and friendly, recommending and talking through everything with us. Placed our order and the food was neither slow nor quick (I don't like the food arriving immediately and getting kicked out ten mins after arriving), we had a lovely meal, a few drinks, and the buzz of the place on a busy Friday night only added to, not detracted from the experience.
It wasn't cheap, but nothing is in New Caledonia, and some comparatively to alternatives at hand it was pretty reasonable.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

We ate here with another couple and thoroughly enjoyed it. The steak comes on a piping hot stone which you can either wait for the steak to cook as a whole or cut up in pieces and cook as you go. It adds a bit of theater to the night and it was fun! Loved it.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Went there because of recommendation from the hotel (which I am grateful for. Service was okay, but this place is by the side of the road kind of "cafeteria" looking space. There is no atmosphere or design. Steak - was alright, nothing to rave about although I did order probably one of the cheapest on the menu (which was very expensive compared to New Zealand).

One thing I have to say, I did not expect it to arrive completely RAW... I understand Stone Grill implies you might have to cook your own dish, but when you are hungry and looking forward to the delicious meal, when a slab of absolutely raw meat is placed in front of you - I kind of lost my appetite a little. So be ready! Visualize it! haha

Now, what was really quite bad was "sides" that come with the steak. DO NOT order vegetable of the day. It was actually horrible. Soggy, cold, overcooked carrots with ZERO flavour. It was not pleasant at all, I had 3 bites and was done and the plate of that was HUGE - quite a waste. The second side I ordered was potato gratin - thank god for that, it was eatable otherwise I would have had to settle just for steak dinner. I see a lot of raving reviews about this place - but I honestly will avoid it at all cost next time I am over.

And lastly, SAUCES - I ordered Butter with Herbs - even though it is labelled under "sauces", it is in fact not a sauce at all. It is just BUTTER and HERBS.

Enjoy...