“Delicious, varied food; excellent guide.”
Review of Urban Forage

Urban Forage
Ranked #1 of 20 Food & Drink in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Urban Forage offer a range of Food Adventures to suit any passionate foodie! Our most popular tours [for the adventurous traveler] are our Morning Market and Evening Market and BBQ Tour. More than just a Food Tour, our adventures give you an insiders insight into the food scene, rich history and amazing culture.
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Short version: definitely do this food tour.
Longer version: we've been travelling in Asia for around 3 weeks. And with a relatively short time in each location, it's difficult to find the time to discover the gems out of the plethora of street food options. So we love a food tour of a balmy evening.
Ducky's Urban Foraging tour is excellent. She's very knowledgeable about Cambodia's food, politics and culture, specifically Phnom Penh of course.
Go from cocktails with rooftop views of the whole city to traditional local market (saw no other tourists) to a renowned local restaurant with traditional Khmer cuisine.
Ducky is an exceptional guide, friendly, entertaining, informative, and the food speaks for itself. This is at the top of my list of recommendations for things to do in Phnom Penh.
PS Try the bugs. I didn't and I regret it.

All reviews
"night tour"
"friendly guide"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Im really glad I chose and did this tour with ducky and mr leung. I emailed her less than 24hs in advance to ask about the tour and she fit me in. I went for the morning market food tour and i learn a lot of things about local food and traditions. Food was yummy also. Ducky knows her ways and also you can see she enjoys showing us around and sharing the cambodian culture.
After that i headed with mr leung to the killing fields and to the s21 museum. Both places worth visiting.

UrbanForage123, Owner at Urban Forage, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

Thanks so much for your very kind review, it means the world to us!!!

With gratitude,

Ducky!

Reviewed 17 June 2018

Our family of four (including two kids, ages 11 and 13) spent a wonderful morning with Ducky on the morning market tour. Ducky's knowledge of Phnom Penh runs deep - she's lived here for a number of years, and seems to know everyone in her old neighborhood, as if she's one of the family. She's an engaging and fun hostess, always looking for opportunities to point something out or teach us, whenever we encountered something new or interesting on the streets or in the market. (But she does so with so much good cheer and humor - the perfect guide.) Our tour lasted around two hours, most of it spent in the BKK market and surrounding streets. It included two breakfasts and seemingly endless snacking. Some highlights were a rice noodle salad, barbecued pork over rice, and fresh doughnuts. Ducky did everything to accommodate us, including looking for opportunities for a vegetarian among us. We wish we had time to do her night tour! Next time...

Heya Team,

Such a pleasure showing your fam bam around, what a lovely bunch you all are! So glad you had a great time and hope to see you again some day :-)

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I signed up for the morning food tour for the next morning with Ducky at short notice after reading the rave reviews here. I was picked up from the hotel by 8.30, and off we went to the local BKK market.

Our pre-breakfast snack was delicious doughnut-like fritters topped with sesame, and a mung-bean fritter, really fragrant and definitely whet up my appetite.

Ducky has a wealth of local knowledge as she deftly leads us through the maze of shops and alleys in the market. Pointing out some of the familiar faces and her favorite stall owners in the market, she was greeted in return by warm smiles and Khmer greetings by the locals. Ducky stops to pause and points out some of the less commonly known fruits/ vegetables, and some of the local delicacies. Walking through the market, it reminds me of those in other developing South East Asian countries: expect sensory explosions as the multitude of scents and colorful fresh produce and meat are laid out across the packed stalls, and watch out for some puddles of water on the wet ground now and then.

We stopped to try the rice noodle salad (both mildly sweet and savory), washed down in a glass of iced coffee. Meandering through the stalls, we passed by a section of personal grooming stalls, offering manicure and waxing services.

Our last stop for the tour was a plate of marinated grilled pork on broken rice, with pickles and a small dollop of chili to kick up the spice. It was an awesome treat to the morning, with a sweet ending of freshly made street-side waffles that Ducky kindly
purchased for us.

After bidding a warm goodbye to Ducky, we parted ways as I boarded the tuk tuk to take me to Part 2 of the tour (to The Killing Fields and S21), which Ducky has kindly arranged transport for.

Thank you Ducky for your being such a gracious and friendly guide! Highly recommend this tour to anyone!

UrbanForage123, Owner at Urban Forage, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Thanks so much of your too kind words! We really do appreciate it, so lovely to show you my all my fav hidden spots!

With gratitude,

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

This was the 2nd tour we did and enjoyed it immensely. Ducky took us to some of her favourite spots with our first stop having a refreshing ‘British’ made cider in a skyscraper bar watching the Cambodian sunset. From there off to an evening market and bar as our final stop. Here we were offered a variety of locally prepared dishes washed down with a beverage of your choice. Ducky does not scrimp on her friends (I certainly did not see myself as a customer as Ducky treats you with warm enthusiasm) and continues to offer more food and drink to ensure you are fully satisfied. So back to the food, a variety of dishes are on offer from basic to exotic which we had; beef with ants, deep fried insects, spiders and whole frogs. We enjoyed this bar so much my wife and I went there the following evening on our own where I endulged in copious amounts of local lager and a dish of ‘fried hot cow penis (spicy). Enjoy

1  Thank Anthony J
UrbanForage123, Owner at Urban Forage, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Thanks so much for your kind words, we love showing you our favorite spots!!!

Your friend,