1,696 results
All reviews complimentary dinner night market gift bag welcome gift fruit basket breakfast buffet free wifi tuk tuk bit dated large hotel reception staff old city hotel is great hotel is located swimming pool tour desk an upgrade
Reviewed 7 January 2016 via mobile

Empress Hotel is indeed dated in design and over-all feel, but I liked it because it reminded me of places I think Wes Anderson would like to shoot in. We arrived on Dec. 24, Christmas Eve. And while they were late to pick us up for over an hour from the airport (turns out the guy waiting for us was holding up the wrong name hahaha), the staff was apologetic, helpful throughout their stay, and they even had a bag full of Christmas groceries as gifts for us with chocolate and cookies! Yum!

The rooms are spacious and offer a lovely view of the city. They gave us free WiFi for all our devices (we just asked reception for the codes). Their breakfast buffet is well-selected with special shoutout to the cheese that they use for the omelettes.

The hotel is far from the hip and very chill places / discoveries in the city (I really recommend you stay in the Nimman area for these), but red cabs will take you anywhere so cheap accessibility is still possible (though traffic may be bad).

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2016

My wife and I went along to the Empress Hotel's lobby lounge on Christmas day for an expatriate's lunch with fairly low expectations from a hotel which is not among the tops in Chiang Mai. However we were agreeably surprised; I do not do buffets as so often the food is mediocre and lukewarm. In this case the food was excellent and varied and the cooking, even of seafood which so is easy to overcook, was first rate. The prices too represented very good value for money. The only reason I do not give 5 stars (but 4 1/2)is that when we asked for more cutlery the waitress told us to get it ourselves! We will certainly return to the Empress if we are in the area

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2016

I stayed with my family and my friends for three nights at Empress Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand. I decided to book this hotel after I had read guests' comments on some booking sites and found out that it scored 8.5 out of 10. The hotel is in a prime location, it is very close to the Night Bazar, and has large rooms. Nevertheless, we were disappointed and had a bad experience at this hotel. Some of the staff, especially the lady receptionists are very tough. The furniture is old and needs renovation. The carpet is dirty and has to be changed. My friends' room was replete with ants. The staff did not care to take the necessary measures and tackle that issue accurately. Moreover, breakfast is not very varied and does not cater for Muslims.
I don't recommend this hotel to my friends and if I were to visit Chiang Mai again, I would not opt for this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2016 via mobile

It is true that the decoration is a bit outdated as the others have said.
The staff however is good and friendly. It is situated in the center, so this is also a good advantage.
The only thing that I did not like at all is tht it doesn't have free wifi, which I find it unacceptable from a hotel.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2016 via mobile

Yes the staff were nice. Unfortunately when we got to our room and opened the window we looked out onto a sludgey green, murky pool of water. not very nice considering we were staying there for 11 days! We asked for a change in room but were told the hotel was full. When they eventually said they could change the room it was only a couple of days before we booked out so really didn't think it was worth it. We booked all our own tours as we didn't have the confidence to book through their booking person. On our first day there we asked her to organise a taxi for us to a shopping centre and she said it was 250 baht. However when we hailed our own taxi back to the hotel we paid only 150 baht. Exactly the same trip (I realise 100 baht isn't that much but I think the principle is). Also on the second last day we were given a 10% discount card. It would have been nice if it was offered when we arrived. Extremely disappointed we stayed here and would not recommend it to anyone. This was our second trip to Chiang Mai - the only reason we didn't stay at the previous accommodation was that it was booked out - our own fault for not booking earlier. I. Would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple