All reviews the general manager a large shopping mall tropical oasis old city other hotels hotel restaurant hotel staff airport congee bathtub
Reviewed 31 October 2016

I only stayed one night, but would have stayed more if I could have. The room was very nice and clean and quiet. The management and staff were very friendly and accommodating.The grounds were well kept and interesting with a little abode built outside with interesting sculpture art inside. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank LLRose
Reviewed 23 August 2016

If you are looking for a place to stay just outside the centre of Chang Mai the VC @ Suanpaak hotel / apartment is well placed. It is about 5 to 10 minutes by tuk tuk or taxi from the historic centre, and 5 minutes from the airport. Even though it is close to the airport we did not hear any planes and that includes in the outside areas. You could contemplate walking to the terminal if you do not have a whole lot of luggage.

Our room was more like an apartment than a hotel room. It had cooking facilities, larger fridge, separate bathroom,bedroom and lounge room with seating area. The cupboard is stocked with plates, cups and various other items you need if you plan to cook in room. The bathroom is a good size, modern and included both a bath and separate shower. The rooms are cleaned daily and beds made as you would expect in a hotel.

While the room was clean and relatively modern it did have a spartan feel, The absence of a floor lamp or any other soft lighting in the lounge area meant that the room did not quite make it as a space where one could feel at home. The bed was particularly hard, but this issue was quickly resolved by the manager with the installation of a overlay mattress to the main mattress.

Next door to the hotel is the Central Plaza complex. This is a medium to large sized shopping mall with fashion stores, a good sized department store, supermarket etc., over three floors. My better half purchased some very nice shoes and spent a good amount of time in the various trendy fashion shops. It is great place if you want to buy ingredients to do a bit of cooking yourself back in the room, or dine at the cafes. Outside the building there are plenty of taxis, tuk tuks and other modes of transport. It was easy to just walk for three minutes from the hotel to the taxi stand.

The staff at the hotel are a responsive and enthusiastic team who greet you with the usual warm and polite manner one expects in a good quality Thai hotel. The manager is particularly helpful providing advice on the facilities, quickly responding to requests and advising on the best places to see.

An early morning swim is enjoyed along with the sound of the frogs in the ponds that boarder the pool. Our's being a ground floor room we could walk out our front door and be in the pool some 10 metres away. So easy. Each day we were there one of the staff would clean the pool. Adjacent to the pool area is a building where you can sit and read a book protected from the insects that come out during the early morning and evening sometimes. Insects were not a problem for our stay. While the pool area is a nice enough space it lacks life. Absent is any staff offering drinks and food. We did not have a sense of wanting to laze around the pool for any extended time.

The hotel complex has three restaurants. The Thai restaurant was nice enough. At the cafe where breakfast is served the menu is limited, but covered local and tourist tastes.

In summary our stay was pleasant enough. A number of larger families were staying at the hotel and I can see that it would be a good place to stay for them.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed 4 August 2016

Over the course of my stay in Chiang-Mai, Thailand, we moved around a lot and basically finished the trip by staying at VC. The hotel was simple with a "villa-esque" feel to it, it was also comfortable and clean. The only downside was the mosquitoes, but that's another story. Similarly, there are several different options for rooms. My parents stayed in a bigger room that offers a washing machine and a living room, whereas mine was the standard. The room itself is extremely clean and simple, which one can never go wrong with.

Not only was the room nice but the service was also exceedingly great! Having to chat with the manager, the stay at the hotel made it so much more pleasant. For one, during the last two days, we had a slight problem with the whole show booking and transportation. In the end, the manager stepped in and solved the entire problem and even phoned the company demanding for a refund because of their inadequate service.

Finally, the hotel is also right next to the Central Plaza mall so if it ever comes down to last minute shopping, a few steps to the right will bring one to finishing the task.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Sydney K
Reviewed 18 June 2016

Had a very lovely stay here our room was lovely and clean and comfortable .The Staff was very friendly and helpful and the food was really good . The only downside was you can hear the noise through the wall from the next room which was slightly annoying . Would stay here again as very close to airport and good location.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria H
Reviewed 14 June 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I checked into this hotel for 5 nights. The reception staff were lovely and checked us in and took us to our room. Rooms are beautiful and cannot be faulted. Pool area and overall surroundings of the hotel are 5/5. However, the staff in the restaurant let this hotel down a lot.

There are numerous restaurants in this hotel and we went to the standard one where the buffet breakfast is served (don't know the name don't think it has one). I have a food allergy (allergic to dairy food) so it is always a struggle picking food abroad. The first time we ate here was a lunch time, was not busy at all, and I ordered a ham sandwich. Notice there was no dairy mentioned in this. It came, and it was a ham and cheese toastie. I obviously couldn't eat this and I mentioned it to the staff and about 5 people came over and were just staring at me as they had no idea what I was saying. They seem to think it's ok to advertise something in the menu and then bring me a completely different meal. They sorted it and apologised.

We thought we would give the restaurant another chance so went back the following evening for dinner. When I ordered my food the waiter did not speak a word of English, this shouldn't be a problem as the food in the menu has the Thai name, English name and also a picture. However, he did not have a clue what we were asking for (I was asking for a coke and a water) not exactly difficult. I then wanted to make sure my spag Bol didn't come with cheese and this was honestly the most stressful 10 minutes of my stay here. He couldn't understand us and went to get someone else to serve us, yet came back with no one. Again, another member of staff came over to just stare and make comments then laugh at her colleague which made me feel very uncomfortable. He eventually gave us his phone and we translated it that I had a food allergy. We also translated on his phone what we would like to order.

This was not the end of our problems, I also ordered egg fried rice, yet what got served to me was egg fried rice with prawns in them. So that had to be returned. My spag bol arrived and it was lovely. However my boyfriends didn't arrive until I had finished all my food and we had to then remind them of his food order as they had somehow forgotten to bring it.

Overall horrendous experience at this dinner and it honestly made me excited to check out of the hotel.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who cannot speak or understand Thai and it is such a struggle. Staff really let this hotel down.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple