All reviews no window superior room stayed here for nights guesthouse tours baht thai backpackers laundry
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Yes, it is cheap (THB 630) and one should not expect luxury. We thought we knew what to expect as we stayed at this place two years before and were impressed with the value for money (clean room, good location and helpful owners). As such it seemed a no brainer to return. What a disappointment it was.
From previous visit we knew we had to call before to arrange car park. When confirming arrangements night before by phone - person answering did not speak English nor Thai and disconnected the phone several times. Booking.com also tried to call - and could not communicate with them either. As too late to cancel still went ahead.
Owners and/ or management are changed now. We did get a friendly welcome and got the same room as two years ago. However, the room and the linen were not very clean and the bathroom had quite some mold. Hot water was not working - though someone was sent within half an hour to fix this issue (it was night and no staff on side - but prompt response).
With the cleanliness of room and bathroom in mind - we decided to skip the free breakfast. Too bad how a nice guesthouse changed in substandard. Unfortunately rather than recommend this as the affordable place to go to others - will now suggest to avoid.

Room Tip: Avoid staying here!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

Booked 3 rooms online and it says balcony but none of our rooms had one. One of the rooms didn’t even have a window, which they ended up giving us some money back. The room without a window had mould everywhere, the bathroom tap didn’t work and the toilet wouldn’t flush. My room smelt like mould and wasn’t really that clean. The other room’s bathroom light didn’t work, however they did come up and fix it. The wifi was really slow and didn’t really work. It looked like it was a nice place but it looks to be under new management and the new management is sh**. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Carla S
Reviewed 17 November 2017

Check in not good room was bad got mould no ceiling the toilet didn't flush hair everywhere yuck
Has 2017 trip advisor excellence award what a joke door handle falling off toilet seat loose stayed in some ordinary places that cost ten dollars this wasn't cheap and takes the prize sh..

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Rung R
Reviewed 9 November 2017

I usually will check out a room and do more research before I book a room but I was arriving late and needed to find something fast.
Here's the thing...if a room doesn't have a window, expect mold. In this case quite a bit in the ceiling. It's very unhealthy and has an unpleasant smell.
There was a corner room next to mine and the guests left the door open so I did get a peek at how the other half lives. The corner room looked very nice and had a big window.
In my opinion, they should brick the door shut in that room and label it a biohazard.
However, it's obvious from other reviews that this is the main problem with Vanilla Place.
The good points is they have a good keyless entry system for the front door and the staff is wonderfully friendly. Just don't get the windowless room unless you don't value your lungs.

Room Tip: Read other reviews and believe...don't get windowless room!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank DraftedbytheMan
Reviewed 5 November 2017

I checked tripadvisor before booking my hotel in Chiang Mai and comments for Vanilla Place Guesthouse were ok, most of them talked about the nice hosts and how they helped to everyone, price was reasonable so I decided to book Vanilla Place.

The reviews are probably from previous management, not sure. The actual management is a young couple from China (in their twenties) who do not speak English or Thai. Very friendly, smiling all the time like everybody in Thailand.

1. I booked a Superior Double room that has not been cleaned, sheets had disgusting fresh yellow spots (I have pics), and towels were smelly. Immediately I talked to the couple and they sent housekeeper to change the sheets and clean the room, towels were not changed so I could not use them the three days I was there.
2. In their website, services section they announce daily cleaning service but they don’t do it. I was there three days and no one cleaned my room.
3. They announce breakfast included. Breakfast is poor, instant coffee and bread is the only choice. They could add fruit or eggs that are very inexpensive. Thailand is ridiculously cheap.
4. We were using a phone translator to communicate with them because they do not speak English, it was very funny at the end.
5. I asked for a taxi to the airport that normally is around 150 bahts, that is what I paid from the airport to the Hotel. The girl said she will call a company but it will be 300 bahts because my flight was early in the morning and that it was hard to get a taxi at that time and I agreed to pay that price of course knowing that the market rate was 150 bahts, 50 bahts or around excess is ok but twice the price! I was worried to lose my flight so I said yes to that price. The night before I reminded her the taxi service I asked and she said that it was very hard to get a taxi driver at that time of the day (5:30 a.m.) and that they will charge 500 bahts, at that moment I said whatever I do not want to lose my flight and I accepted a 5 stars Hotel rated taxi service.
At 5:30 a.m. next day my taxi driver was waiting for me and guess who was it? It was her partner not a Company that she said she called for me. They were smart enough to make extra money, the airport is 10 miles away and it takes 10 to 12 minutes to get there from the Hotel.
6. Last: No 21" Flat TV or refrigerator in the Superior Room I booked in their website.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo