1,651 results
All reviews old town sunday market all day breakfast boutique hotel direct access private pool a ground floor room our honeymoon wat chedi luang perfect location walking market lovely boutique free bikes day bed wonderful hotel stayed here for nights an oasis
Reviewed 4 March 2016

We stayed in room 210 which was supposed to be a deluxe room but found it to be tired scuffed and worn out. The net curtains and silk cushions had stains, the glass doors had hand marks and the furniture was badly chipped also the rough walls in the bathroom are a poor choice as can't be cleaned easily therefore toothpaste stuck there. We had looked forward to enjoying the pool after sightseeing in the heat but observed a problem with pigeons using the pool as their very own bathroom and toilet so had to give it a miss for the whole 5 days we were there. I am sure when this hotel first opened it was impressive but i think it is now time to refurbish with some bright colors and new soft furnishings. On the positive side the staff were most welcoming and very helpful. The location is perfect for sightseeing and the bed was very comfortable.

3  Thank scallyIreland
Mananya U, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2016

Dear scallyIreland,

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

May I begin by thanking you for sharing your experience at U Chiang Mai and at the same time sincerely apologise for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations.

I would like to take this opportunity to inform both you and the Tripadvisor readership that as it now approaching the end of the high season in Thailand and we are entering a period of low occupancy we have scheduled our annual care programme to ensure all our rooms are in perfect condition. This will be carried out a few rooms at a time so as to not cause any disturbance to our valued guests.

I have also passed on your observations regarding the way your room was prepared to my Housekeeping Manager for her immediate attention.

We are also in the process of sourcing humane ways we can keep the pigeons from our property.

May I end by saying that it was our pleasure to welcome you to U Chiang Mai and we hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again on your next trip to the North.

Best Regards,
Mananya Uanon

Reviewed 3 March 2016

It's a very stylish hotel, with great staff and some quirky ideas. Felt however, it was a little user unfriendly...ie virtually no space for toiletries at sink, no light switch as you entered the room , no night light. Internet very erratic.
The first night we were in room 301. The noise was bad, from the night market and a pub and later from traffic. Luckily the staff were very kind and we got moved to another, quiet room the next day. Perhaps normally it would not have mattered, but we were unwell having picked up a bug in Cambodia, and it felt that we were trying to rest on a motorway central reservation.
However, as I already said, the staff were great and found us a new room as soon as they could and for that a big thanks!
It is very convenient to many temples and what looked like reasonable restaurants.
Go...enjoy...but avoid 201 and 301 if you are bothered by traffic noise.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the road
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2016

This hotel is located in the middle of the old town (wall) of Chiang Mai. Street in front of the hotel turns into a night market on Sunday, so no vehicle traffic. (not even a bicycle). Night market was awesome. Tons of people and lots of things to look at. This market starts around 6pm, So if you are arriving to this hotel on Sunday night, than be aware. This hotel has one of the best staff I have experienced. Upon early arrival, we received a choice of beverage while we waited for room to be ready (which didnt take very long) and hosts at check-in were so courteous and helpful. They helped us in such things as setting up tour, renting a scooter and returns, calling tour company making sure they are on the way when we were waiting in the morning. All these things made me feel this hotel very special. Also breakfast, you have option to have it anytime. Not this 6 to 10am stuff, you can come back and order things off the menu(breakfast menu but has many items like noodles and other non breakfast dish). From the hotel, you can ride their free bicycle to various museums and temples. Also they are right next to Wat Chedi Luang,

Room Tip: No elevators at this hotel, so if you cant climb, than ask for first level. I saw that some room has their own (sorta private ) pool too.
1  Thank I_Fly_4U
Reviewed 25 February 2016 via mobile

It was our second visit and it was a pleasure to come back. I have to fill my 200 minimum characters, but the only thing I really want to say is thank you, U , for another great stay in a city we love. Oh, and the pool is still a bit too cold for me......

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sab1ne
Reviewed 22 February 2016

If you were walking past this hotel, you might not think too much of it. The front of the hotel is a clean understated design that is easily overlooked in busy Chiang Mai.

But don't be fooled! When you step inside U Chiang Mai, you will experience true Thai hospitality,

Our story:

After arriving late on a Sunday night, and hauling 2 roller bags though the weekend night market for approximately an hour plus (because we 1: came in via bus from Chiang Rai, 2: couldn't take a taxi or tuk tuk because of the market, & 3: poor planning on our part!) , we finally arrived at U Chiang Mai. We were pleasantly surprised when the front desk clerk asked "Are you Mr/Mrs___?" What?! Greeted by name on our first visit? Amazing! Please note our travels were during Chinese Lunar New Year, and the hotel was at full capacity.

Our room was on the 1st floor and opened directly onto a small swimming pool. Great room, but just a little too noisy for us as it was near the stairs (no elevator in hotel). We called in the morning and asked to change rooms. After breakfast we were informed not only did they have a room ready for us, but they had upgraded us. (And did we need assistance with our bags?)

Such a nice change from the hotel chain we had left in Chiang Rai, where my husband is a "gold member for life" and we encountered poor customer service. The management and staff at U Chiang Mai know what they are doing!

Besides the customer service of the hotel staff, other things we thought made this hotel stand out:
Included breakfast is open all day long--until 10pm! It's an order off the menu and smallish buffet in the attached restaurant.

Tea, coffee, water is included in the room.

They have you choose your own soaps at check in! Loved this! I chose lemon-grass, and my husband chose bamboo. A nice personal touch.

Hotel is in a central location. Within walking distance of pretty much everything you want to see in Chiang Mai. If you can't walk to it, taxi or tuk tuk is cheap.

We've been to Chiang Mai twice in the past 5 years. Next trip we will definitely book a stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: No elevator in this charming hotel, so if you are bothered by noise, ask for a room away from the stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Amoma.com
2  Thank Melnefish