Focal Local Bed and Breakfast(Bangkok)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$49
Akara Hotel(Bangkok)
US$117
US$157
Expedia
Old Capital Bike Inn(Bangkok)
US$82
The Siam(Bangkok)
US$570
Agoda.com
The Yard Hostel(Bangkok)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
The Star of Sathorn Hotel(Bangkok)(Great Value!)
Bed to Bangkok(Bangkok)(Great Value!)
4,705 results
All reviewsbamboo baracross the riverfloor butlerauthor's loungechina housesala rim naamlord jimbest hotels in the worldgrand dameriverside terracegarden wingthai restaurantbutler serviceview of the riverchao phraya riverhotel boatpool staff
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

After dining at The MO Bangkok nearly 30 years ago, I knew there was only one place to stay on this trip and was not disappointed. This is arguably the best hotel in SE Asia by reputation and lives up to this mantle. Staff are The Best I've encountered anywhere, food is divine, and the rooms are presented beautifully. Add this to your travel bucket list and you can throw that list away because after staying here, nothing else will top it. Bravo MO Bangkok.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
MOBangkok, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Dear Nooopy,

It is our pleasure to welcome you back! I am happy to learn that you had once again a wonderful experience whilst with us by the River of Kings. My colleagues and I assured you that we will continue to enhance our legendary standards as well as service so that your next visit will be another pleasant and enjoyable one.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

* Note : I seldom write reviews for hotel stays (unless I am either extremely impressed or I have specifically been asked to do so by the Manager).

As this is La Grande Dame , there is no need for anyone to ask me to share my perspectives. I gladly share my rave reviews!

(This is a long review I have cobbled together during various breaks over the past month. Don't waste your time reading it if you don't like details.)

I hosted a wedding dinner for my HK Cousin over a month ago in the Historic Author's Wing (along with a stay for the couple & relatives in the Royal Suite and Ambassador Suite + 3 side rooms) and even now, I keep getting compliments from my guests that it was simply the most scrumptious wedding feast they have experienced. Our guests are folks who regularly stay at the finest properties all over the World for their personal jet-setting lifestyle and they are very discerning. There were so many cultures and age groups on the overall guest list, so I was rather worried about how we could have a banquet that would meet all their preferences. I shouldn't have worried !
The "dream" team comprised of the Banquet Sales manager Khun Maneerat and Executive Chef Dominique & Executive Pastry Chef Christophe, Cake Chef Mee, the Floral team and all the Operations teams made sure it was PERFECT.

Coincidentally, there was a charity gala in the grand ballroom on the very same evening for a VVIP along with 300 dignitaries/guests -who for discretion's sake, mere mortals like me won't mention who it was. In any other hotel, you would have to worry about the best managers/chefs/staff being occupied and basically assume that your wedding banquet is going to be sub-par at best, and horrible at worst. In this instance, the wedding banquet turned out better than I could have ever imagined!

I had selected a Buffet set-up for the banquet because I wanted to ensure that all my favourite dishes from all the restaurants of the Hotel were offered to the guests. Unlike other hotels which make a buffet seem un-elegant and "mass-feeling", Executive Chef Dominique and his team ensured that the Feast was lavish and refined. The dinner was from 6pm-11pm and even at 10:50pm when I went around checking, every station looked fresh like it was the beginning of the evening (I am VERY picky and take note on these matters). Each section was overseen by the Chefs (I was so impressed the Head Chefs of Lord Jim, Sala Rim Naam and China House were there) and each station was staffed by their line chefs ensuring that the items were fresh and kept updated. Executive Pastry Chef Christophe was personally overseeing the pastries and desserts spread was tip top and Executive Chef Dominique came by during a break from the VVIP event. The foie gras at Lord Jim's is a personal favourite of mine so I ensured that we had a free flow station, along with sashimi &all the seafood tower items from Lord Jim's. However, I wanted the foie gras served to my guests to be a fatter slice (1.5 inches) and served with a Thai style pepper mango sauce. At La Grande Dame, your wish comes true!!! Even the butter on the table was from Le Normandie (their 2 Michelin star restaurant) :) I could go on and on forever about how wonderful the FEAST was, but instead of boring you with all those descriptions you can see it for yourself in the Menu (attachments).

Earlier in the morning, we had the traditional Chinese style Tea ceremony at the Regency Room followed by an elegant light meal at the Noel Coward Lounge (I was inspired by the elegant events hosted by Fashion & Jewelry Maisons so requested that arrangement). All throughout the entire day & evening, the hotel team ensured that the service standards were nothing short of spectacular. Admittedly, I am the terrible kind of hotel customer who complains all the time at other hotels (about bad service) and sends dishes which do not meet my expectation back to the kitchen.....NEVER at La Grande Dame. They only Delight me here. Amazing.

The banquet operations head Khun Niwat and his team led by Khun Sittipong (wow, if my friends buy a castle I'd hire him to train the Butlers & footmen!) were tip top and managed things behind the scenes I wasn't even aware of (such as: ensuring the overly tipsy guests weren't having their 15th glass of wine - LOL). One guest was so tipsy he literally collapsed (his fault) and literally within seconds, the team had it all cleared up and he was recuperating with some Pandan juice in the lounge area. Somehow, I think it is a part of their training. It's the small details which count .... and as the host of the event, I was so relieved to have the A Team helping me look after my guests.

Basically, for all your private functions whether for 2 persons or 1000 persons - you can trust the exquisite team at La Grande Dame to deliver beyond your wildest dreams!

A note on the Royal Suite : Absolutely terrific. You MUST see it to believe it. I can't even describe it - it oozes understated glamour with a heavy aura of historical grandeur. There are 6 bedrooms in all if you snap up the entire floor and you have the feeling that the entire Author's Wing is your private home. If you are the type that travels with your own security details - fear not, they are equipped with the technology to make sure everything is taken care of. The beds are heavenly and the sheets (different from the non Royal Suite rooms) are so excellent, I've made a mental note to enquire with their Director of Rooms on where they source them from.

There was a slight hiccup on the "logistics" front (which was completely out of the Hotel's control - rather, it was the fault of the previous guests). The Hotel Manager very professionally attended to the matter right away. These hairy things do happen since you can't control how guests behave, and it is HOW it is handled which makes the difference between a good & bad hotel. Again, nothing but immense appreciation at how things are handled promptly and professionally here.

During this long weekend of festivities, we had nearly 20 groups of guests residing at the Hotel. I didn't even have to stress out one bit, as they were so well treated & attended to by the wonderful hotel staff. Everyone from the room butlers to the breakfast manager Khun Ton & his team, the lovely Lobby staff, amazing Author's Lounge afternoon tea team and ALL the restaurants teams ....and the terrific Spa team (I think we kept them VERY busy ! Khun Sucheera the Spa Ops manager was so helpful! ) were so welcoming and gracious. I have not encountered a more charming and professionally refined hotel staff team anywhere else (the Palace hotels of India come very close...Japan is good on the expensive end, Europe is fine but a bit too formal at times, USA ....sorry ....).

This is not for everyone. If you like to be around hotel guests who do not cherish refined traditions such as dressing up for the evening (strict dress code after 6pm) , then please check yourself in at the other establishments around town where you can hang around people from certain places where social etiquette is still work-in-progress. Or where they enjoy sporting beachwear at dinner, whilst yelling loudly to each other for "conversation". Cringe.

The team at La Grande Dame take tremendous pride in their craft and as their guests, I think showing respect for their efforts means being gracious guests. They've been at this for 143 years and it certainly shows that they really know what they're doing ! La Grande Dame is simply one of the best hotels in the World. It's definitely my favourite:) As a Thai person, I'm so proud we have such a gem :)

Room Tip: The Authors' Suites are legendary and get snapped up way in advance. Book ahead if you plan on going during high season !!!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Veena L

Dear Veena L,

Thank you very much for sharing this lovely memory of yours following the wedding ceremony of your cousin at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. We are absolutely delighted to have you and your distinguished guests with us and to learn that everyone thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of their stay, especially the legendary Oriental service which we are renowned for. I will be sure to pass on your generous compliments to my colleagues, especially Khun Maneerat, Khun Niwat and Khun Sucheera, as it means a lot for us in maintaining and improving our service excellence.

We await with pleasure for an opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

The luxury hotel is a calm, decent and hospitable. The staff is very friendly. Housekeeping several times a day, always fresh fruit in the room. Perfect poolside service.
We have on the 11th floor the best housekeepings)))

Room Tip: Deluxe room with king size bed
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear andrey20182018,

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was our absolute pleasure to welcome you to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok and we really hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

We stopped here for lunch and enjoyed a Thai Tapas sharing platter.
Great tasting dishes and good value platter.
Sitting outside with a view of the river and a cooling fan blowing behind us was the perfect way to spend a couple of hours.
Service was very welcoming and efficient

Stayed: April 2018

Dear ducati748af,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor. It is truly a pleasure to read that you were pleased with our culinary as well as our legendary Oriental service. We await with pleasure the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed 24 April 2018

Another great experience with fantastic service, delightful staff and an enviable location on the Chao Phraya river. The hotel cannot be faulted and if you can tell the difference between mere price and genuine value, you should visit at least once in your lifetime.

Ciao Terrazza is an amazing outdoor restaurant while the Bamboo Bar remains a true delight. A peaceful and secluded pool area makes for a relaxing stay.

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at the Oriental and a genuine desire to please is the norm.

Beds are incredibly comfortable and you will always get a good night's sleep,

Room Tip: Try a Mandarin room - very bright and spacious with sweeping river and cityscape views.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
MOBangkok, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Dear Colin-Edney,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and for coming back to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am glad to learn that you had a remarkable time with us and that our renowned Oriental service as well as our culinary delights at the restaurant and bar had impressed you. Please visit us again as we look forward to make your next visit another pleasant and memorable one!