Shantipur Hostel & Restaurant Kathmandu
US$80
US$35
Expedia
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Family Home(Kathmandu)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Wonderful staff and really good vibrations. Best rooftop in Kathmandu with 360 degrees views of all Kathmandu valley. Quality restaurant with great variety, very tasty and good price. Rooms are comfy, dorms or private rooms very cheap. The best, the staff and the people staying in.

Room Tip: there are 4 floors, lower floors are quieter but higher rooms closer to the rooftop and bar. Private rooms very comfy.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

I had a very good time at Shantipur! The dorms are simple, but nice! Every bed has it's own curtain and locker and there is a power strip to charge your electronical devices. The rooftop is a very nice place to eat and just relax. They have a very nice menu, for breakfast but also lunch and dinner. The food is very good and cheap too!!
Overall a nice low budget place with a nice relaxed vibe and a good restaurant!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Moritz W, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Shantipur Hostel & Restaurant Kathmandu, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Thank you for your nice review Jesk. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

Beautiful rooftop & amazing atmosphere! I really enjoyed staying here. As a single traveler it's very easy to meet people. The hostel's a little outside of the business of Thamel but still so close that you can quickly walk there.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2018

The hotel isn't very appealing when you walk in. But you shouldn't care. The atmosphere is very welcoming, the staff is nice, the facilities are just fine, the rooftop is amazing and the other guests are sociable. You get a towel from reception and the Wifi is pretty fast and reliable (something that can't be said of all places I've been at).
The beds are thin and not the most comfortable I've had, but the sleep is still really well and the blanket is nice and warm (even in winter). All I would like to see change is maybe a personal locker for valuables.
They have the option for you to leave stuff when you go away for a couple days (retreat / trekking / etc.) which is free as long as you come back for at least one more night.
I haven't made use of the bar / restaurant, but its prices are reasonable and the food looked good on other guests' plates. Ha!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

We, two friends and me (two male, one female), stayed at Shantipur for one night. I can only speak from my own opinion/experience. Throughout our stay (one night), the hotel staff were really friendly. The view from the rooftop is amazing. Those were the redeeming features. Now for the critical part. We stayed in a dorm (separated by male and female of course). The dorm was in an acceptable condition - not the neatest, but acceptable. The mattress was pretty hard and a little dusty, which didn't make for the most comfortable night ever, but that's not what I was expecting anyway. There was no running water on both floor 1 & 2 throughout our time at Shantipur, nor did the toilet flush work. In addition to that, you may find that there are hidden fees which are not listed on Hostelworld and which you will not be aware of until you get there to check in. We had to put in a deposit of 200NRP for the room key (which we didn't end up using anyway) and then the staff asked for an extra 150NRP when we left. That's 350NRP that we will not see again, and more importantly, it wasn't listed anywhere when we booked. I'm not sure if there are other hidden fees, but just be aware. I will not be staying here again. There are plenty of good, decent, and cheap places in Thamel that you can stay at instead. Shantipur (Rooftop Bar) is a good place to go for a casual evening drink with friends, but not a place I would recommend staying overnight at.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends