“A Market you'll remember”
Review of Sandaga

Sandaga
Ranked #15 of 44 things to do in Dakar
More attraction details
Owner description: The city's main market.
Reno, NV
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“A Market you'll remember”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Marche Sandaga is the principal market in downtown Dakar. It is so packed with stalls and people that you often have to push your way through. Everything imaginable is for sale, although chiefly at the low end of the scale. It's worth a visit if you've not experienced this sort of mostly outdoor market. But be prepared for the crowds, be aware that pickpockets are a significant threat, and know that you will be hassled by venders, although somewhat less than on other streets where more foreigners are found. Also, many people don't like their photo taken, and will raise quite a stink if they spot a camera pointed at them. In such a case, it's best to move away quickly, as they are unlikely to abandon their stalls or activities just to pursue you.

Visited May 2012
12 Thank RenoBill

Sahara
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“the only place in the world where I am likely to get into a fistfight”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I am a single woman who has lived in West Africa for years. I am accustomed to local norms for daily interactions, and I do all my shopping in local markets.

Unfortunately, I have found that "local norms" are suspended in the areas of Dakar where tourists frequent, and Marche Sandaga, in my opinion, is the worst. I have made multiple trips to Dakar, and every time I have walked past Sandaga I have been relentlessly hassled, to the point where I feel that the only way I might be able to effectively communicate "no thank you, please leave me in peace" is by punching the guy.

I understand that as a solo woman, wearing (modest) Western clothes, that I am an easy target for the some of the enterprising young men who want to earn some quick cash. And, if I wanted to avoid the hassle, I could travel with others. Or maybe wearing local clothing would help (but I wear local clothing in my country of residence, and appreciate the opportunity to wear Western clothes elsewhere).

On my most recent trip I decided to do my shopping at Marche Tilene, and while I was aware that I attracted some attention, for the most part I was left alone and treated more or less normal.

Visited May 2011