“A good Na Pali hike”
Review of Nu'alolo Trail

Nu'alolo Trail
Ranked #140 of 298 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Owner description: Hiking trail located in Kokee State Park.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've done this hike a couple of times now, and I'd say that it's a pretty good one. I don't find it particularly challenging, but there is a good amount of elevation drop throughout. It offers a good view of the coast and can be a lot of fun.I definitely recommend it.

All reviews
"landscape"
"forest"
"passengers"

Reviewed 29 December 2017

This is a fabulous hike from Koke'e Park. The trail landscape changes so often, it feels like you are starting new hikes every few miles. My friend told me it would be challenging and, at times, it was. But I would welcome the opportunity to do it all over again. We ate fresh guavas along the way as the bushes flank the trail. Once to the end at the viewpoint, it is breathtaking! I almost wished I had a sleeping bag so I could spend the night as I just didn't want to leave. The Na Pali coast and valleys are such an impressive monument to nature's wonders. The most difficult part of the trail is returning from the viewpoint, as it is a climb. With stops to catch your breath on the way up, you can recover to go the next miles to the beautiful meadows and low forests. I look forward to returning to do it again or try another trail in the park.

1  Thank llarking
Reviewed 27 July 2017

This trail is an official trail of the Koke'e park.
One of the most difficult to see Na'Pali coast (12,2 km, return way) according the park details. And it's sure that it's not the easier. Like usually, if it rained the last night don't do it, the last part could be impossible, because this last mile is really really steep... If you have a goat in your roots ( you will see and heard some of them here) no problem, if not, wait for best conditions.
In fact at the start, you go up a bit and after you go down down, main of the way. So it means to go up all the time for the return...Keep your water for the return and take something to give you energy.
I called the first mile of the return, 'the mile of the hell' but you can do it.
This trail is not really used, I saw only 4 people between 7am and 2pm ! And you can see it at the high grass part, in the middle part of the way (if you are the first to pass here, you'll be wet, very wet) the park maintains the way but not lot of people pass here, it's sure.
The vista now... Your efforts will be rewarded at the end, it's the largest view of Na'Pali cliffs. You have the view on the right on Nu'alolo valley, a beautiful green and a waterfal lost in this green ( look where the helicopters go). And if you continue after the fence, but do it carrefully, on the left, during 150-200 meters, you'll discover just from the shore of the mountain, a view on a coral reef beach, wonderful colors after 10am, with good binoculars I'm sure that you couldxsee turtles !
The place is noisy because main of the helicopters' companies enter in the valley from this hill, you can do signs to the passengers and think that for you the view is free...Because on the right, you can see a big part of the line of the coast, not deeply, but the shore... Impressive coast !
Time to come back and to finish exhausted if you do it under the sun of noon, but you can take a cool drink or an ice cream or why not a ' welcome back meal' at the restaurant of the Koke'e park just close to the path.

1  Thank Gil40100
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

In dry condition we have done it in 3,5h . The way there 1:15h. The weather was pretty good and we have started around 1:45pm. You can see the sigh Don't start later then 10am. The was almost no one and this it spectacular track!

2  Thank Jitka K
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 March 2017

I had read that this was a difficult hike but I've hiked quite a bit so thought I'd give it a try. Difficult is an understatement! It had rained for 2 days straight prior to the hike and it was extremely muddy and VERY slippery. If I didn't have hiking poles, I would've fell all the time and I wouldn't have made it up the steep hills. The first half was the worst but the second half was drier and more enjoyable. When I reached Lolo Vista.....it was spectacular, amazing and so beautiful! This is a long hike at approximately 7.6 miles return and I struggled on the way back with the last 2 miles. Everything hurt! Would I do this hike again? HELL NO!! But it was a spectacular view and something I'm glad I did!

6  Thank EMT6388