All reviews caye reef hot tub full kitchen place to stay living room water taxi top floor rooftop jacuzzi cool off great rooftop golf cart laid back well equipped kitchen nice pool rooms are big my favorite place belize city
Reviewed 11 April 2017

CayeReef is a nice, clean place to stay in what I would call the busy part of Caye Caulker. Each condo has two bedrooms, so if you do not need two bedrooms, it might not be the best deal for you. The master bedroom is in the back of the condo and is quite a bit larger and nicer than the secondary bedroom, which is basically located in the middle of the condo. Although this was not an issue for us, if you have two adult couples staying in a condo, you might want to work it out where the couple who gets the smaller bedroom pays a little less than the couple getting the master. The safe is in the master. There is no safe in the second bedroom. There was only one hair dryer for the entire condo, so if you need two, bring one. The living area is a nice size and goes directly out onto the very pleasant balcony. We had some supplies in our unit, such as sugar, creamer, and spices. I'm not sure if the condo supplied these or if they were left over from previous guests, but it was a nice touch.

There is a rooftop area with a hot tub and hammocks. This is a good place for sunset views. They will exchange towels for you when needed at the little office on the ground level. CayeReef doesn't have its own pier, but we did hear that you can use other piers during the daytime (we learned this information too late!). The hotel does have a small, sandy area on the shoreline to lie or sit. Sip n Dip is a short walk away.

I can think of a few recommendations. I inquired about bicycles but was told most of the bicycles had been stolen. The only ones we ever saw were a few men's bikes and one guest told me the seats were set so high, she couldn't ride any of them. Since I'm several inches shorter than her, I knew there was no need to try. I think it would be good to have more bikes in both men's and women's and maybe even a couple for older youths. Also, it would be nice if they had a few stand-alone fans to loan out in case someone wants one. The air conditioning was preset and we couldn't control it. One night especially, it was clicking on/off, on/off and keeping us awake. We always sleep with a fan on, both to keep cool as well as to drown out noise, and I know a lot of other people do as well.

The other issue I would like to mention is for guests to be careful on the stairs. The steps have a tendency to blend in together. Several in our party almost missed the last step when going down. In addition, someone in another condo even mentioned the same thing -- that they had almost fallen as a result of this. It might be a good idea if there were some lines painted across the steps or landing to help see them.

I do not hesitate to recommend CayeReef at all. I just want to include as many points as I can think of in my review.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
SH_at_CayeReef, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and recommending us so. We actually carry spare hair dryers and fans (though all rooms have ceiling fans) and we are happy to adjust the AC temperature; just ask. Sorry this was not made clear to you.

I will ensure that your helpful comments regarding bicycles and the steps are acted on.

If you visit us as a couple, we do in fact offer a lower one bedroom rate for the apartments. See our web site for details.

We hope to host you again in the near future

Reviewed 31 March 2017

We stayed at the ground floor, 2br apartment for three nights. Nice, clean, well decorated and spacious for the three of us. Arriving too early we got picked up by Frederic at the water taxi by chance, taking us to the flat as if ordered to, with his transport- bicycle chatting and telling us lots of stories within the couple of minutes to the apartment. Nice and easy, calling Bobby to make sure all is fine. The pool is a nice treat, sunrise breathtaking ether from the balcony or the rooftop, another hotspot. Just a few steps away from the split (currently under construction, so not much to do), across from diving center Frenchies), and a few minutes from the busy Caye Caulker bars, grill and more crowed area. The kitchen is well equipped, with two bathrooms and spacious living room a really nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family

Many thanks "Brigitte S" for taking the time to review CayeReef, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. While others prefer a golf cart, like you, I also enjoy walking and talking with Fred while he pedals the bags in his cargo bike. Very 'old skool' Caye Caulker and he is very much a local character.

We are always keen to improve - perhaps you could email the hotel and let us know how we could get five stars next time you visit?

Reviewed 27 March 2017

Plenty of room for family of 4, loved hanging in the front room with the French doors open to see the ocean. Close enough to the action but quiet in the evening. Rooftop deck is fantastic for sunset, beers or hanging in the hammocks. Bobbi and her team were helpful and all arrangements were flawless. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank RockyMoutain4

We are very pleased that you had such a relaxing and enjoyable holiday. I love to open the french doors at the front too and let the breeze blow through.

We hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

6th time in the island, and will be back again!
Perfect for 2 couples. High expectations were met. Self catering, but anything needed would be accommodated. Fully stocked kitchen including spices and coffee. great view from the balcony, and the rooftop patio. Nice pool area with loungers. cell phone provided for local calls.
The manager, Bobbi was very helpful and accommodating.
Perfect location near the split, and short walking distance to many restaurants and drinking spots.
Will definitely be back!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Wow, thanks for the fabulous review "luvs2travel76". We're super pleased we lived up to your expectations - we do try hard. We look forward to hosting you on Caye Caulker visit number seven.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

My wife and I have stayed at Caye Reef in a 2 bedroom 1st floor unit for 6 consecutive years, This Feb we stayed for 2 weeks. I send an email 3-4 days prior to our arrival giving them my travel itenerary and requesting cold beer in the fridge. We are met at the airport by a waiting taxi and taken to our condo. The staff is extremely helpful and responds to our every request, We are ocean front and easy walking distance to most every restaurant. Bikes are provided. Ocean kayaks are provided. I cannot think of a better place to stay on Caye Caulker.

Room Tip: View improves the higher you go but is quite good from first floor and less steps to climb.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to review us "David W", and for your repeat custom. We are happy you had a great experience and hope to host you again in a year's time.