All reviewsfly fishinggreat fishingfishing lodgegrand slamfamily stylefishing directorcasting lessonssalt waterguided fishingother guestsrecommend elfly shopfishing storiesvisited ellodge roomsbone fishthe main lodge
Reviewed 30 May 2018

A very well run set-up with excellent staff. Dinner was generally substandard and the wine list average and pricey.
My fishing guide Jeo was without doubt the best I have ever had. His brother Alex had eyes like a hawk and will make a great guide. If you are planning a trip, take my advice and book them.
Such a shame about the sea-grass but that is climatic change again

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulwythe
Reviewed 26 May 2018

From meeting us at San Pedro airport to returning us there 9 days later, the El Pescador 'family' could not have been more friendly or accommodating. All the staff........restaurant/bar, office/shop, housekeeping were excellent.
My husband had booked 5 days fishing and, although it was very hot out on the ocean, had some great fishing with skipper, Jeo, catching some Bonefish, Snapper & Permit.
For non-anglers (such as myself) there are plenty of activities that can be booked in the office...I made a trip to the Lamanai Maya Archaeological site on the mainland. Other things on offer are scuba & snorkelling trips, manatee watching (unfortunately unavailable when we there there), reef fishing & catamaran trips to name but a few!
Golf carts & bicycles are available if you feel like a visit to San Pedro. Kayaks & canoes are also available.
There are 3 pools at the resort which were essential for those wishing to swim as the beachline was suffering from an invasion of sargassum which was constantly having to be cleared.
There are rooms in the main lodge but we stayed in the upper part of one of the villas...very spacious & comfortable with a verandah overlooking the sea. It was kept very clean by daily housekeeping. One small negative was the size of the bathroom...it was very small & cramped.
We were on a 'meal package' so all meals were taken at the resort. Breakfast & lunches were good & there was a reasonable choice. Dinner was a communal affair...great idea.... it meant we met different people each evening.
It was a set menu, which again is a great idea....however, we thought the quality of the evening meal left a little to be desired....it tended to be bland & unimaginative.
All in all, a very enjoyable trip.
One piece of advice: We flew via Atlanta to Belize and had to stop over one night in Atlanta on the way there. I think a better option would be to fly UK to Cancun/Belize.

Stayed: May 2018
3  Thank Wendy W
Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Just landed Houston from our 4 night stay at El Pescador. From the the time we landed in San Pedro until we were dropped back off they catered to what ever we needed.
Where I wanted to fish and for what. Michael my guide was more than patient with my short cast and so willing to teach me along the way. By the time my trip was over I was laying line out 3 times farther than when I got there.
The food was awesome and the fellowship with the other guest was awesome. I believe a lot of that was because we were all happy about our stay. The villa we had was well keep and very clean.
My wife and sister n law were traveling with me. They raced about all of their outing. A group of ladies from the lodge got together for the reef fishing and cookout. All the could talk about was the great time and sharing pictures.
Thanks El Pescador. See you soon.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2018

Lets do the good stuff first - the hotel staff were extremely friendly, polite and helpful. The rooms were good and the food was ok. The fishing was massively disappointing - probably the worst we've ever experienced and we've fished around the world. The lodge holds itself out to both fly and spin - lure fishing is almost impossible given the extent of the shallow waters. When we showed our lures to the guide he simply dismissed the idea of using them - this should have been clearly spelled out on the lodge's website - if so, we wouldn't have gone to El Pescador. We spent 6 days looking for the elusive Permit and Tarpon - caught a few, but it was simply boring and not what we thought we'd paid for. Extremely disappointing and we left feeling extremely cheated. Even those that fly fished didn't seem to catch many.
Another point - the guides all seem to want to get back to the lodge at 2.00pm - there's still 4 hours of daylight left.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
ElPescadorBelize, Owner at El Pescador Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Thank you so much for your message and time spent with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the lodge and the staff. I sincerely apologize that your fishing was disappointing. We always want to exceed our guests' expectations.

We specialize in in-shore, light tackle (either fly or spin), flats fishing - primarily for bonefish, tarpon and permit. Via your comments here, as well as on your exit survey at check out, where you mentioned being disappointed that you "didn't see any grouper, mahi-mahi, wahoo, etc" it seems that you were looking for off-shore, deep sea fishing. I have gone over all of your reservation documents and correspondence - no where did you mention these species or deep sea fishing; if you had, we would have pointed you to a different lodge that specializes in off-shore fishing. Deep sea fishing is a lot of fun, it just is not what we do. Our guide boats are built for the flats with shallow drafts that make them ideal for skinny water but not for going outside the reef.

Although there are exceptions to every rule in saltwater, flats fishing is typically not a numbers game. It is some of the most difficult fishing there is, and for that reason it can also be the most rewarding. While fishing with us you landed 3 permit, 2 tarpon, 6 jacks, 8 barracuda plus a few others. By our estimation that is a fantastic week of fishing with a lot of fish boated.

Regarding the hours fished, we fish 8 - 10 hours per day which most anglers find more than enough sun for the day. However, we do offer extra hours (above 10 hours per day) for extra $ if anyone wishes.

I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your fishing needs during your valuable vacation time. I assure you that we will do a better job of making sure all potential guests are aware that we fish in-shore, shallow water and focus of bonefish, tarpon and permit (not grouper, wahoo or dorado).

Please feel free to contact me anytime at info@elpescador.com.

My best regards,

Alissa Flota

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Highly recommended to anyone wishing to indulge in the above
Staff extremely smiley, friendly and helpful. The accomodation and food were excellent and the fishing equally so. See their website which is fairly accurate
I expect to be back