All reviewsfly fishinggreat fishingfishing lodgegrand slamfamily stylefishing directorcasting lessonssalt waterguided fishingother guestsrecommend elfly shopfishing storiesvisited ellodge roomsbone fishthe main lodge
Reviewed 18 May 2018

Lets do the good stuff first - the hotel staff were extremely friendly, polite and helpful. The rooms were good and the food was ok. The fishing was massively disappointing - probably the worst we've ever experienced and we've fished around the world. The lodge holds itself out to both fly and spin - lure fishing is almost impossible given the extent of the shallow waters. When we showed our lures to the guide he simply dismissed the idea of using them - this should have been clearly spelled out on the lodge's website - if so, we wouldn't have gone to El Pescador. We spent 6 days looking for the elusive Permit and Tarpon - caught a few, but it was simply boring and not what we thought we'd paid for. Extremely disappointing and we left feeling extremely cheated. Even those that fly fished didn't seem to catch many.
Another point - the guides all seem to want to get back to the lodge at 2.00pm - there's still 4 hours of daylight left.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
ElPescadorBelize, Owner at El Pescador Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Thank you so much for your message and time spent with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the lodge and the staff. I sincerely apologize that your fishing was disappointing. We always want to exceed our guests' expectations.

We specialize in in-shore, light tackle (either fly or spin), flats fishing - primarily for bonefish, tarpon and permit. Via your comments here, as well as on your exit survey at check out, where you mentioned being disappointed that you "didn't see any grouper, mahi-mahi, wahoo, etc" it seems that you were looking for off-shore, deep sea fishing. I have gone over all of your reservation documents and correspondence - no where did you mention these species or deep sea fishing; if you had, we would have pointed you to a different lodge that specializes in off-shore fishing. Deep sea fishing is a lot of fun, it just is not what we do. Our guide boats are built for the flats with shallow drafts that make them ideal for skinny water but not for going outside the reef.

Although there are exceptions to every rule in saltwater, flats fishing is typically not a numbers game. It is some of the most difficult fishing there is, and for that reason it can also be the most rewarding. While fishing with us you landed 3 permit, 2 tarpon, 6 jacks, 8 barracuda plus a few others. By our estimation that is a fantastic week of fishing with a lot of fish boated.

Regarding the hours fished, we fish 8 - 10 hours per day which most anglers find more than enough sun for the day. However, we do offer extra hours (above 10 hours per day) for extra $ if anyone wishes.

I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your fishing needs during your valuable vacation time. I assure you that we will do a better job of making sure all potential guests are aware that we fish in-shore, shallow water and focus of bonefish, tarpon and permit (not grouper, wahoo or dorado).

Please feel free to contact me anytime at info@elpescador.com.

My best regards,

Alissa Flota

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Highly recommended to anyone wishing to indulge in the above
Staff extremely smiley, friendly and helpful. The accomodation and food were excellent and the fishing equally so. See their website which is fairly accurate
I expect to be back

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2018

The perfect package for any dedicated fly angler looking to hunt for migratory Tarpon, Permit and Bonefish. Excellent accommodations, and food. Awesome staff and a warm family atmosphere. Guides are among the best I have ever encountered in 30+ years. Will most definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms are modern, clean and well done. ALL accommodations have ocean views and requisite a/c.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Brad W
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Very friendly and loving staff everyone greets you with a that makes you feel very welcome. The food was amazing great taste.the lodge was a great get away to spend quality time and celebrate our anniversary.cant wait to go back

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2018

My angling buddy and I spent 4 nights at El Pescador in early May 2018. Our first experience there was largely positive, with a maybe a caveat or two. We enjoyed the great service by the young staff - not one bad actor . Isa the Fishing Director was an able casting tutor, and Ken the GM was ubiquitous and accomodating. We had a good time fishing with guides Vicente ("Vince") and his apprentice son (V Jr.) and Tomas, who coached me to my first bone on the fly. I would recommend both of these "easygoing" locals for beginning to intermediate fly anglers - save the "intense" guides for the obsessed/thick-skinned expert casters. The flats visited by the resort's guides are breathtakingly beautiful and mostly devoid of crowds. We stayed in a villa which was spacious and nicely appointed, but a bit overkill since we were on the meal plan (no need for a kitchen). Maid service was provided each day. Very private location with security on property just in case.

Now for the caveats. As an elite fly fishing lodge, you would expect the clientele to be of a certain mold, and that seemed to be our experience for the most part. Among the country clubbers were a handful of characters (hello to Juan U. and Brian/Carl from Alberta), which kept things interesting. As I am not really of the mold, this was more of a splurge trip for me. The food was edible and in many cases tasty (stone crab claws were outstanding!), but one might expect more in terms of quality and quantity for the $$ paid. The shoreline is not really a beach, and unfortunately, piles of rotting sargassum washed up daily. A minor damper for the hardcore fisher, but probably a major bummer for non-angling visitors.

All in all a memorable trip!

Room Tip: well appointed 3 bdrm villas steps from main lodge. ocean views from 2nd floor deck. cool A/C & ceiling fans.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends