Cayo Espanto(San Pedro)
Expedia
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Hotels.com
Las Terrazas Resort(San Pedro)
  • Pool
All reviewsfly fishinggreat fishingfishing lodgefamily stylegrand slamfishing directorcasting lessonssalt waterrecommend elguided fishingother guestsbone fishfly shopfishing storiesvisited ellodge roomsthe main lodge
Reviewed 3 May 2018

First trip to El Pescador won't be our last. As we stepped of our water taxi onto the dock we were made to feel at home. Staff were friendly and very accommodating. Family style dinning allowed us to meet people from all around the world that also have a passion for fishing

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 1 May 2018

There are several superb fly fishing destinations lining the eastern coast of Mexico and Central America and I've been to many of them -- from Ascension Bay in Mexico to Punta Gorda in southern Belize. And then there is the finest of them all -- El Pescador on Belize's Ambergris Caye.

The last week of April, 2018, found this fly fisherman, my fly-fishing daughter and bird-watching wife at El Pescador for our fifth visit over the past few years. Each time we've visited we've been thoroughly impressed by the warmth and hospitality of the staff, the superb dining and overall tropical ambience. Most significantly, I genuinely believe the fishing has gotten better since our first visit roughly 15 years ago. And even to me, that seems hard to believe in light of all the development that has occurred around San Pedro over that time period.

Fifteen years ago I didn't see anywhere near the number of schools of tailing permit that I saw this year. And 15 years ago I came no where near landing a 25-pound to 30-pound permit as I did this year. For serious fly fisherman still eager to land that first trophy and ever-elusive permit, here's a tip -- try a Kung Fu crab and guide Kechu Marin. They work wonders.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank dryflyguy
Reviewed 30 April 2018

My first trip to Ambergris Caye was 1988. There were four hotels, El Pescador, Ramon's and two others. The island was relatively undeveloped, which stands in stark contrast to today's Ambergris Caye. It's disheartening to continue to come back to more five story concrete and steel buildings each returning trip. That said, some consider this progress.

Now onto the positives, El Pescador. Truly an oasis for us who have a passion for angling. They have the best guides on the island, bar none. And you have to stay here to access them. But that is OK, because this is the best place to stay on the island. Superb staff, great accommodations, excellent food and a location on the Caribbean Sea that is unbeatable.You honestly never need to leave the resort. A lot more going than the angling experience.

If I could name my favorite staff, I would, but everyone there is awesome.

I highly recommend El Pescador Resort to anyone, angler or non angler who wants to visit Ambergris Caye. I just pray that all of the overdevelopment does not kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Room Tip: Villas 5-8 have been recently remodeled.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2018

Though this is only my third trip in search of the elusive bone-fish, permit and tarpon I can honestly say this has been far and away my best saltwater fishing experience. As you would expect from a resort named one of the "Top 10 Luxury Eco-Resorts" by Forbes Traveller magazine, the accommodation in a beautiful colonial style lodge is superb, the locally sourced food is fantastic (as well as plentiful, luckily only my bags were weighed for the flight home!) and the staff wonderfully warm and friendly but what really made this a first class destination was the seamless organisation. The Lodge's staff were waiting for us at the arrivals gate in the tiny San Pedro airport and from the moment I stepped into their private water taxi I knew I was in safe hands. Having been badly let down in both Cuba and Mexico on previous trips this feeling was very welcome indeed! From a fishing point of view my guide (Emir) had the uncanny knack of finding our quarry even when conditions were less than ideal and I managed to land a much sought after permit despite a woeful lack of ability when it comes to casting. On shore, the staff couldn't have been more friendly and I hope one story will suffice to illustrate just how helpful they were. On the last day, with less than an hour to go before the water taxi was due to take me back to the airport, I dropped my iPod and it slipped between the cracks of the decking in front of the bar. With panic rising I reported the loss whereupon two maintenance men appeared and calmly proceeded to dismantle the decking. The wayward iPod was retrieved with minutes to spare and I can only repeat that this is indicative of how everyone at El Pescador is ready to go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to their guests' comfort and peace of mind. So may I offer a massive vote of thanks to Ken, Judy, Isa, Heidi, Delly, Jackson, Emir and all the El Pescador 'family' who helped make my trip so memorable and though Belize is not easy to reach from the UK (I flew Virgin to Cancun in Mexico then took the connecting Tropic Air flights to Belize City and San Pedro) I would urge fellow Brits to make the effort. You will not be disappointed...

Room Tip: From the UK fly Virgin to Cancun (Mexico) and take Tropic Air to Belize
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard A
Reviewed 20 April 2018

On Ambergris this is the place to go if you want to go salt water fly fishing. They will book other excursions - we went snorkeling through them - but the focus is fishing. You eat at tables grouped with others and the conversation is about fishing. We met very nice people, really enjoyed our stay - but it sort of felt like you needed to be fishing every day to fit in. Ken who runs the place is very committed to improving all the aspects of the resort - so things like the food and accommodations will only get better.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple