All reviewsfly fishinggreat fishingfishing lodgegrand slamfamily stylefishing directorcasting lessonssalt waterguided fishingother guestsrecommend elfly shopfishing storiesvisited ellodge roomsbone fishthe main lodge
Reviewed 27 April 2018

Though this is only my third trip in search of the elusive bone-fish, permit and tarpon I can honestly say this has been far and away my best saltwater fishing experience. As you would expect from a resort named one of the "Top 10 Luxury Eco-Resorts" by Forbes Traveller magazine, the accommodation in a beautiful colonial style lodge is superb, the locally sourced food is fantastic (as well as plentiful, luckily only my bags were weighed for the flight home!) and the staff wonderfully warm and friendly but what really made this a first class destination was the seamless organisation. The Lodge's staff were waiting for us at the arrivals gate in the tiny San Pedro airport and from the moment I stepped into their private water taxi I knew I was in safe hands. Having been badly let down in both Cuba and Mexico on previous trips this feeling was very welcome indeed! From a fishing point of view my guide (Emir) had the uncanny knack of finding our quarry even when conditions were less than ideal and I managed to land a much sought after permit despite a woeful lack of ability when it comes to casting. On shore, the staff couldn't have been more friendly and I hope one story will suffice to illustrate just how helpful they were. On the last day, with less than an hour to go before the water taxi was due to take me back to the airport, I dropped my iPod and it slipped between the cracks of the decking in front of the bar. With panic rising I reported the loss whereupon two maintenance men appeared and calmly proceeded to dismantle the decking. The wayward iPod was retrieved with minutes to spare and I can only repeat that this is indicative of how everyone at El Pescador is ready to go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to their guests' comfort and peace of mind. So may I offer a massive vote of thanks to Ken, Judy, Isa, Heidi, Delly, Jackson, Emir and all the El Pescador 'family' who helped make my trip so memorable and though Belize is not easy to reach from the UK (I flew Virgin to Cancun in Mexico then took the connecting Tropic Air flights to Belize City and San Pedro) I would urge fellow Brits to make the effort. You will not be disappointed...

Room Tip: From the UK fly Virgin to Cancun (Mexico) and take Tropic Air to Belize
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard A
Reviewed 20 April 2018

On Ambergris this is the place to go if you want to go salt water fly fishing. They will book other excursions - we went snorkeling through them - but the focus is fishing. You eat at tables grouped with others and the conversation is about fishing. We met very nice people, really enjoyed our stay - but it sort of felt like you needed to be fishing every day to fit in. Ken who runs the place is very committed to improving all the aspects of the resort - so things like the food and accommodations will only get better.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vince41
Reviewed 10 April 2018

My grandfather is 86 years old and this was his fourth trip to Belize. He has convinced more and more of us to tag along each year. I decided to go on the trip for the first time this year because my family had talked up the previous trips so much. I am absolutely obsessed. The rooms are so nice and clean. The staff was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and so friendly.

Note: You do not have to be a fisherman to be on this trip. My mom, my grandmother, our friend, and I lounged by the pool almost every day and ate the delicious fresh food the staff makes for you. It was the perfect vacation. My dad and I went snorkeling as well and it was only a 10 minute boat ride from the resort and was a half-day trip. We saw sea turtles and nurse sharks and so many beautiful fish. There are a variety of activities for those who do not fish.

Also, my grandmother is handicapped and usually cannot go on vacations with us but this place is completely handicapped accessible. Everyone was so helpful in making her feel comfortable.

Overall, If you go to San Pedro you MUST stay at El Pescador!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed 9 April 2018

The management and staff at El Pescador are fantastic. When the water taxi brought me to the resort from the airport, Ken the GM and Marlin the guest relations manager were waiting on the dock to greet me and I instantly felt like family. I don't know how they do it but the entire staff remember the guest's names. The food is excellent and plentiful. The room is a lot nicer than it needs to be considering I just needed a place to keep my stuff while fishing and a bed at night. Housekeeping was perfect. As for fishing, I had Senoe as a guide for 3 days and Junior for 1 day. They did challenge my casting and fishing skills and put me in position to catch a lot of fish. By day 4, Senoe had me fly fishing for bone fish like I had done it all my life. I also had a lot of fun spin casting for barracudas. I can't complain about a single thing. I'm serious, EVERYTHING is top notch at El Pescador!

Room Tip: If you're going to spend a lot of time in the room or you have a large group, then I suggest getting a villa. They are very nice
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Art L
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I viisted Belize from 1 to 15 February 2018 and stayed at the El Pescador Resort. I fly fished nearly every day for Tarpon, Permit, and Bonefish. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at El Pescador. The staff are always friendly and competent, the accommodations excellent, and the food delicious. The guides at El Pescador are some of the most knowledgeable and competent I have fished with. Already planning on next year's trip.

Room Tip: All rooms face the Caribbean and are comfortable.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo