Hotels.com
Athens Gate Beach Resort(San Pedro)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotels.com
All reviewssea liceplunge poolwalkie talkieprivate islandcasa estrellaoverwater bungalowour honeymoontiny islandlas ventanashobie cat sailingthe entire staffbutler servicebelize cityblue holefishbreakfast tacosprivate place
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for our 10 year wedding anniversary and Cayo Espanto was absolutely everything we had hoped for - private, quiet, beautiful, warm waters, as much or as little activity as we wanted in any given day and best of all service with an attitude that “no” is a forbidden word. I second the last reviewer’s comment that the best advice is to ask if you want anything because the answer is always yes. It is very hard to describe the experience without being here. It is VIP times 10 if that makes sense. Other resorts - and we have been to the big name brands for couples - may advertise certain rooms having “butler” service but the “housemen” service here blows that away. That is because your team of housemen only has your house to take care of so your team is never too busy with someone else, they are always waiting to help. Larry and Kevin felt like family and it never feels like what we are asking is a big deal or too much trouble. They at once wear many hats - restaurant servers at a 5 star restaurant that happens to be your villa, activities coordinators, concierges, day planners, advisors. The chef was amazing. It seemed no meal was beyond him and the meal choices he came up with based on our food preference surveys were spot on and always made it difficult to
choose what we wanted. Then when we freelanced like asking for tuna tartare as an entree for lunch on a whim, it was perfect. We also had the pleasure of a massage with Esmeralda and my wife got her mani-pedi. Both were awesome and we agreed the massage was the best we had. It is amazing how here you have so much time to relax even if you do activities in a day (we did snorkeling, paddle boating, kayaking, jet skis and a trip to San Pedro). I eventually realized it is because there is no garbage time here that typically comes into even well planned vacations. No getting ready for a dinner with a dress code and having to travel 30 minutes there or arrange a cab. No having to rent a car. No trip to the marina to leave for snorkeling or jet skis - they bring the boat and jet skis right to your private dock. This will truly be a situation where there will never be enough words to describe everything or thank everyone enough. The whole team - Rosita, Erika and a Russell - helped us plan a once in a lifetime trip and then executed it flawlessly with everyone on the island. Thank you all - we will always remember this anniversary. We stayed in Casa Ventanas and would recommend to anyone. Now it’s just a question of how soon we can feasibly come back some day!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NJcouple77
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Have a few hints to make paradise a but better. Ask ask ask they will do anything so ask. If you want dinner on the doc ask..a movie in the sand ask..steak and potato for dinner ask..steak every night ask..
Bring a squirt bottle for a portable bidet..I hate the no toilet paper in the toilet rule but it's a tiny island follow the rules and stay clean...I would add a tote bidet to each room for the price perhaps not enough water power..
Bring a insulated glass for sodas and water the ice melts in one second in this humidity..
Sand fleas love me they have some expired stuff next time bring your own made just for those...
Stayed at Aurora two couples a bit tight for the couple in second bedroom..tiny shower and no al fresco shower at this casita but big pool...
Next time I'll try Olita I think...
Private beach not so private..fisherman want a show and know they might get one and lots of bugs. Go for the sunset cruise instead...
Jose and Eddie are the best...whatever you wish is here. And the food to die for IF you love fish and I do otherwise just average meats but plenty!!!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Docfrog
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Cayo Espanto is the perfect place to take a deep breath and engulf total relaxation. Every detail is thought about, the food is great, you get a “houseman” assigned to your villa that is there to help with anything. I had a facial and massage in the room and the service was top notch.
I’ve been to Belize many many times, and the only advice I can give is time of year. The best time of year to go is winter. I’ve always gone in February and it’s perfect. Our trip was fine and we didn’t mind the rain and wind, but if someone is looking for the still waters, perfect weather, go in Dec-May.
I also recommend using Astrum helicopters for the transfers and/or for the excursions if you can splurge. They are great!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank mj79Tx
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have had the privilege to travel extensively throughout the Caribbean. We have never written a review after any of our other adventures, but are compelled to write one after our time at Cayo Espanto. From the moment we disembarked from our plane at Belize City to the moment we boarded our return flight the staff at Cayo were there to insure that our every want and need were met. The welcome was warm and genuine from Erica and the entire staff. We stayed in Casa Solano and cannot brag on Jesus and José enough, my vocabulary is not sufficient. They were always available for anything we desired but were very sensitive to allow us time alone without intrusion. Chef Patrick and his staff exceeded our expectations, so much so that not only could we not finish the generous portions; but we declined any afternoon snacks because we just weren’t hungry in the slightest. If you are looking for a resort with 5 star expectations, privacy, and the most beautiful views and setting; we highly recommend Cayo Espanto. Just make sure you bring your bug repellant and anti itch spray with you.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bamafam84
Reviewed 21 May 2018

From the time we stepped off the local flight to San Pedro until we were escorted to the airport to depart, our houseman, Larry, anticipated our needs. I'd been planning the trip for over a month and had always dreamed of being in a calm, quiet place in the Caribbean. Cayo Espanto definitely fit the bill of places to experience for just those things and so much more.

Casa Ventanas is their one over-water bungalow. It doesn't have a plunge pool, but we found the ocean breezes in the afternoons and evenings to keep us adequately cooled. There is air conditioning available but we were fine without it. The bed was very comfortable with tons of pillows and mosquito netting available, but we didn't see a single mosquito down there anywhere.

Lots of Cormorants, Great Tailed Grackles, Magnificent Frigatebirds, Pelicans, and the fish around the back dock kept us entertained, too--Needlefish, Bonefish, Big Eye Snappers. We happened to be there during Sea-Lice season; after experiencing them (they're a little bitey), I chose to forgo snorkeling around our dock but my husband wasn't bothered by them. Sunscreen with Sea-Lice protectant is available in the bungalow.

Must recommend the excursion to Hol Chan Marine Reserve for snorkeling and scuba diving. What an amazing experience.

The food was prepared on our schedule and was suited to our tastes based on a questionnaire we were emailed ahead of time. The fruit juices in the region are spectacular. Cantaloupe and watermelon juices were available all the time (and I'm sure any other type of juice you'd want) and were prepared fresh. I've never had better Eggs Benedict in my life and Chef Richard's Lobster Raviolis were exquisite. Lovely desserts after lunch and dinner.

I cannot say enough great things about the staff on the island. It really is an amazing place to go to completely unwind and allow someone else to take care of everything for you.

Stayed: May 2018