“Just OK barbecue”
Review of The Bbq Joint

The Bbq Joint
Ranked #1,633 of 3,705 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 18 January 2017

The place is in a neighborhood with lots of free parking. The address indicated 5th Street but the entrance is actually around the corner and it's closer to the 6th Street end of the building. There's a map on the wall but I couldn't find the restaurant on the map. I think it's supposed to be a directory but I found it worthless.

I tried a variety of their meats. The beef sausage was good but a bit plain for my tastes. It could use some spicing up. The beef brisket was overcooked and the texture of the meat was mushy. It had OK flavor. It was moist but I asked for fatty brisket so it would be a surprise if it weren't. The pulled pork was dry and didn't have much flavor. It was better soaked in sauce and might be OK in a sandwich soaked with sauce and covered in cole slaw. The pork ribs were certainly overcooked by competition standards but I'd say they were overcooked even by restaurant standards. The meat literally fell off of one of the ribs when I picked it up. The meat was moist and tender but didn't have a lot of flavor.

They have a variety of sauces. Unfortunately, they're only by the register and not at the tables since the tables are shared with all of the other restaurants. Even though they had five or six sauces none of them were mustard-based or just plain mustard, which I think I would have preferred on the sausage.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

When I was a kid, for my dad's fraternity picnic, a BBQ man would come to our outdoor brick grill and start the fire and meats around dawn. This BBQ is lifetime best, but I can't find it anywhere as an adult, in DC, NC, or Texas. But the BBQ Joint is the best BBQ I've found after a lifetime of searching for the grail. The ribs are supposed to fall off the bone in the tradition I've known, and they are cooked and seasoned perfectly. The brisket is just the best I've ever tasted, and there was another meat that was excellent but I didn't see what it was from the tidbit I ate.

I'm going out on a limb since I gave up searches and am not current on per pound prices, but the BBQ sandwiches (which I get and take the meat out) are cheaper than others I recall, so I think despite being in Union Market, this place has the volume to offer low prices. I think they sell their BBQ somewhere else as well, but am not sure I have that right.

Everyone really should try this if they have any interest in BBQ or delicious meats. Our group had samples and then zillions headed right for this place to get more. They sold out, too.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

This place was recently rated one of the 5 best BBQ joints in the DC area (#2, I believe). I can see (taste) why. This place is located in the Union Market, so it is a walk up, take your food to a table, if you can find one, kind of place! That said, I was a little concerned about the service we would receive from the only two employees (there isn't room for another one!) there. They could not have been more helpful and nice. But come on, the food is the thing! As my wife said, the food was "slammin'!" She is from KC, and I am from nearby, so we consider ourselves kind of "high brow" BBQ eaters. Went there with one of our son's (picky eater) and his wife, and we all had something slightly different. I had the rib (St. Louis style, naturally!) and beef brisket combo with a side of baked beans. Awesome, awesome, brisket! Juicy, full of smokey flavor and tender. The ribs surprised me, though - great flavor, but you could literally pull all the meat off the bone. May be a personal preference, but I like the meat on ribs to require a little more effort to pull off (reminds you a little of ribs that have been boiled first, then grilled/smoked, though I am not accusing them of this). My wife had the brisket, and sweet potatoes and greens (great, but there were a too many large stalks). My son had a pulled pork sandwich, which he said was excellent. His wife had the beef brisket and beans. Price was reasonable, but it would have been nice to find a table inside. We ate out in the 100 degree weather, under a shaded picnic table. The food nearly made us forget about the heat! In spite of my complaints, this place is on to something. It is a meager food stand putting out some top notch BBQ. We will make it a point to go back, over and over!

Reviewed 17 July 2016

The BBQ ribs here were great. The brisket was good as well, but it was quite fatty and not so much to my taste. The star here was the candided sweet potatoes, which were out of this world. Overall, this is a solid four stars. We would have taken home more sweet potatoes, but we weren't going directly home. That's how good they were. Prices here are commensurate with the upscale Union Market environment.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

So we were picking up brisket for a party for a friend. The price per pound was well worth it and the juicy terrific smoky aroma on this brisket blew my mind. I have been dreaming about it ever since the first bite. I got to carve it for the party and was so stuffed I could not eat anything else. They bring it in from smoking in Easton MD and it is still fab juicy and delicious. Between this and Takorean at Union Market I am I regular period. Great value and PHENOMENAL tastes. Best BBQ in DC. Period.