The Hay-Adams(Washington DC)
US$339
US$329
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
American Guest House(Washington DC)
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
Embassy Circle Guest House(Washington DC)
  • Pool
Hotel Hive(Washington DC)
  • Restaurant
Woodley Park Guest House(Washington DC)
1,900 results
All reviewsthomas circlerooftop poolspiral showerwine hourzentan restaurantfront deskpool closessoaking tubchocolate covered strawberrieswhite houseyoga matbottle of champagnelogan circlemini barboutique hotelking suitewater pressure
Reviewed 10 July 2018

My room had floor to ceiling windows, a soaking tub, and a shower that looked like something from Star Trek! It was great. Bed super comfortable. Loved the wine Happy Hour in the Lobby as I was checking in. Nice park nearby to walk my doggie. Will stay again for sure.

Stayed: May 2018
Matthew W, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Hi Kim K,

Thrilled you loved our space age cocoon shower, as we call it. Pleased our location worked out for your dog as well.

See you soon,

Reviewed 10 July 2018

I've stayed in this hotel a couple times, once for an extended period. The decor is chic and modern; not quite to my taste but kept up well. Housekeeping is great, bed is comfortable, and nice views beckon from many of the rooms. I enjoyed hanging out by the rooftop pool during the day, but listen to the other reviews: not a great place for low-key fun during the evening when it's opened to the public. The Donovan wouldn't be my choice again, not because of any particular defect, but because I don't love the location or the sleek leather-clad aesthetic and because I think I can get better value elsewhere.

The service, however, was as exemplary as it is in all of my favorite Kimptons. During the long-term stay we were able to work with the headquarters tech folks to get the nice big television hooked up with our apple TV - this was too much of an effort for a short stay and required the intervention of an offsite staff member, but it was really nice of them to go through the extra hassle and well worth it for the time we spent there. I also worked with the staff in the hotel to deliver birthday gifts to a hotel resident while I was far away and the whole endeavor went off flawlessly with their help.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hello Sally M,

We certainly appreciate everyone has their own design tastes, but pleased to note you found happiness through the excellent service provided by our team. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

The hotel was a bit pricey for what you get. The room was small and ultra modern. The main reason I stayed was because it was dog friendly - and they lived up to that name providing doggie beds and treats for no extra charge.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi ds0406a,

I am pleased you found us to be pet-friendly and hopefully you made good use of Thomas Circle to walk your furry friend.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Stayed two nights and for a long-time Kimpton Business client, I was underwhelmed. We were stuck away on a second (shared with meeting rooms) floor. The housekeeping staff didn’t replace towels after the first day. But the biggest dissatisfaction was breakfast in the resturant. The resturant was clearly understaffed for one of the weekends bracketing 4th of July in DC. How can they charge $5.00 for coffee and tea that they give away in the lobby? OBTW the waiter tried to pour Orange Juice, we had not requested...for $6.00...had them take it away! Not done with Kimpton, but likely going back to my old stand-by Madera or new fave Mason & Rook

Room Tip: Avoid 2nd Floor
Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Hello mbrower628,

I am sorry you were not pleased with your guest room location, and the service provided in the restaurant. I appreciate you are still considering other Kimpton Hotels and hope we will have the opportunity to earn back your trust.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

Having stayed at several Kimpton hotels in the past, I showed up at the Donovan recently with anticipation. However I was somewhat disappointed by my experience. My first impression was the tired, dirty looking, and small lobby. I was given my room keys and got on the elevator-also a poor impression-dirty and the marble/granite cracked. Still my room was comfortable and spacious although I did notice the carpet seemed frayed and pieced together in places. The room was clean and did meet my needs-I appreciated the excellent view I had of the circle below (even able to watch 4th of July fireworks from my window!). Mark up of minibar items exorbitant- (i.e. 7$ for a bottle of water; 10$ for bag of Popchips) so be sure to bring your own water and snacks. My next step was to check out the rooftop-my primary reason for staying at the Donovan. I had visions of pool and drinks, however when I got to the top I was sorely disappointed. Granted it was 100 degrees out-not the hotel's fault. But the pool really is small-too small for any comfort-and the water was cloudy and uninviting. Overall I found the space cramped and a little sad so I went back downstairs never to return. I also soon discovered that the hotel closes the little pool at 4:00pm in order to open the bar to the public (apparently because of an city ordinance the two cannot co-exist). If the pool had been nicer-the early closure would have been a major bummer. Also disappointing was that there was not hotel restaurant (it recently closed for a "revision") so again the lobby did not beckon. Finally, I received room service for a simple breakfast (oatmeal and coffee). The coffee was watery and tasted burnt so I called the front desk and they removed the charge and sent me up a Keurig machine (be sure to request one as they are not in the room unless you ask).
I see from another reviewer the IHG had bought this hotel-maybe that is the problem. The appeal of a hotel is often based on whether you would stay again and in this case I would have to say "no." Too bad!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank 485jade59

Hello 485jade59,

Please accept my apologies for some of your observations regarding the appearance of the hotel. We also recognize these opportunities and over the course of the next 6 months or so, we are renovating our elevators, lobby, and as you indicated delivering a new restaurant. I am sorry the rooftop pool and bar area didn't wow you and that you left with an underwhelmed feeling.

I do hope we will have another opportunity to earn your business.