“Amazing pork buns”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed 2 June 2017

When visiting D.C., my Chinese friend and a colleague recommended my wife and I to try this restaurant. When we walked in, we heard mostly Chinese and so that implied the food was authentic. We ordered pork buns, seafood dumplings, and two bowls of noodles. I had fresh hand-made noodles with pork and my wife had noodles with roasted duck. First of all, the pork buns were absolutely amazing. So was the duck in my wife's bowl of noodles. The duck skin was nice and crisp and the meat was amazingly tasty. The noodle and the broth were just so so. I was very excited to try hand made noodles but found it to be only average. My broth was too thin for my liking. Next time, I will order several orders of pork buns and crispy duck.

Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

Have people making food right in the window. Seating is a bit crowded but food was good. Sweet and sour chicken was good. Had noodle chicken chow mein. Heavy on noodles light on the chicken. Friendly staff. Take all major credit cards.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 31 May 2017

The noodles are awesome at Chinatown Express restaurant. We ate there on Monday night and ate outside. Nice very attentive service. Good value too.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

One of my good friends recommended this place, so I was there today with my guests - they walked all the way from Union station to Chinatown.
It was truly embarrassing to see all the 16 xiaolongbaos (soup dumplings) in two baskets lying without any soup inside. Dry soup dumplings were all punctured and some of them were almost torn out. In addition, won-tun noodle soup was just bland at best.
All of us were left the place within 20 minutes much disappointed. I will never visit there again.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

How can you not be drawn in by that? They also tout being written up by WP and NYT. This place has the vibe of the "authentic" Chinese places in the Rockville area with the menu duplicated on colored paper on the walls, some only in Chinese and dishes not catered to gringos.

Only had the duck noodle soup. The noodles had a nice snap and the duck was quite good. Unfortunately, maybe the most important part, the broth, was a disaster; almost no flavor, just hot water which couldn't be saved by dumping in the condiments on the table.