“Yes and No”

Sababa Israeli Restaurant
Ranked #744 of 3,536 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 July 2018

Like many in the Cleveland Park neighborhood I was very interested in what would follow the long but less than distinguished tenure of Ardeo-Bardeo. We got part of the answer with Bindaas, and recently the rest with Sababa. The following comments reflect three visits.

First, best to appreciate Sababa for what it is, and is not. It is not really an Israeli restaurant; it is an Indian restauranteur's take on such -- more like Eastern Mediterranean fusion with an Israeli accent. Not so much criticism as clarification...

Having said that, the food is generally very good. We enjoyed such appetizers as eggplant, fried cauliflower and halloumi cheese. All of the kabobs have been excellent. But the dishes tend to be overpriced for what is served. Wine selection could be better, especially in more emphasis on interesting wines from the region.

Service; attentive, also a bit overbearing -- especially in efforts to "explain the menu" whether needed or not, and constant inquiries on more orders. If only actual delivery of food and drink orders were as attentive...

An interesting experience, but those seeking more balance between trendiness and substance (and better value fo money) can easily find alternatives offering similar cuisine.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Visited Sababa last night. We arrived at 7 for our booking and it was already busy inside although not loud at all. I would recommend reserving.

We had a warm welcome from the staff and the menu was explained. A mix of small and large dishes as well as a range of kebabs.

Two of us had 2 small dishes, 2 kebabs, hummos, 2 desserts. Whilst they were delicious I think we could have done without the desserts as I was full from the savoury dishes. All the food was delicious, especially the small dishes..we had the sardines and broccoli. The portions we're not huge but a good size and rich enough that I didn't feel cheated. I would say that it was decent value for money but if you were especially hungry it would be quite expensive to fill up here.

The staff were wonderfully attentive, friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Our friends live in the neighborhood and thought we would like the restaurant. As always, they were right. We started with Hummus of the Day (It is served with Pita), then I had charred eggplant and my wife had an Israeli salad. Also had Fried Cauliflower (really, really delicious). We tried all the kebabs (cooked on a wood grill). As good as the deserts sounded, we were stuffed. Next time for as Arnold says "We'll be back".

Reviewed 16 June 2018

I'm not a connoisseur of chicken liver. I've eaten it a few time in my life. I didn't know it could taste as good as pomegranate glazed chicken liver. That was my favorite dish. The salmon kebab was charred yet creamy. The grilled sardines were excellent on their own but I found the walnut zucchini paste unappealing. I paid $10 for kushari and it tasted great but costs a nickel in Cairo although this version did not kill my insides. The outdoor section is small and where you should try to sit. Reservations are key. They were slammed on a Thursday night.

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

We were very excited to eat here. First off, the place is very friendly and the service was outstanding. To be clear, it is not Israeli food it is perhaps Israeli influenced food. Overall we rated our meal as average and a bit disappointing. hummus was good, not great but very good and the pita was fresh and tasty. Best small plate was the fried cauliflower. It was the best I have had, very delicate with raisins and a bit a tahini. The Israeli salad was fresh, nice touch with adding mango but we needed to get extra lemon. We think Israeli salad should be lemony. I had the mixed beer and lamb kabobs on rice and they were also quite tasty though on the salty side. We ordered this full dish vegetable tangine with couscous and we did not like it. It had a smoked flavor we did nit care for. Had a mixed drink which was fair and a non alcoholic unusual halva -based drink which would have been quite tasty but it was mainly ice. Atmosphere of the place was quite nice, so we liked it but did not love it.

1  Thank Slingerrob