All reviews scavenger hunt john lennon secret door secret passages champagne tour rosa parks log cabin room music memorabilia unique rooms museum beatles neighborhoods metro
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Started off poorly because I was asked for a suggested/mandatory donation of $20 cash only for entry, no choice. I couldn't find it anywhere on their website that there is an admission fee, voluntary or not. Thought I would give it a chance, but I'm sorry I did. I give them good marks for marketing, but they really are only a depository for people to get rid of their junk in their house. Perhaps the owner feels that by spreading stuff around with no rhyme or reason someone will want to sift through the stuff and find that one nugget of gold, it ain't gonna happen. I couldn't find anything really historic about looking at someone else's recent cast offs. This is listed as a hotel/inn/museum, and I can only imagine the nightmares I would have if I had to attempt to sleep here. I can't truly express in writing my complete disappointment in this location. I couldn't find it in my self to even take photos to send to friends, they would wonder if I had gone off my nut to pay good money (voluntary/mandatory, cash only) to look at this place. The owner must chuckle every time the sound of money hits the "contribution" jar. Two statements come to mind, one being, the emperor has no clothes, the second being, there's a sucker born every minute. It was my day to be the sucker, don't waste your time or voluntary/mandatory contribution....cash only.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank nugrape
Julia S, Manager at The Mansion on O Street, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

We are sorry you did not enjoy yourself. Named one of the top five historic venues to explore — in the world, most of our visitors have a great time exploring our themed rooms, secret doors and exhibits.

We are proud to say we have been here for 38 years. Our museum IS full of items and antiques. Perhaps you were unaware that the majority of these “cast offs” have been donated to us by their owners — like the Grateful Dead Rock And Roll Hall of Fame induction trophy, Audrey Hepburn’s dress that she wore in "My Fair Lady", and Bob Dylan’s Guitar from when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame to name a few.

Unfortunately, it seems you may not have been looking at OUR website as we have clear pricing and actually recommended you purchase your ticket on-line — NOT at the door — to be sure there is availability for your visit. Like all private museums we are required to charge admission to comply with IRS regulations. As a non-profit we use these entrance fees to support our programs including our Artist-in-Residence and Heroes (so, it’s a good thing). These programs provide a supportive, encouraging sanctuary for heroes to rest and heal and artists to create -- free from outside pressures. We’ve given away hundreds of thousands of dollars through hotel stays and donations to support these programs.

Please know despite your criticism we truly appreciate your patronage because your visit helped support our mission and the community.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Very fun activity to do while in the city! Very friendly hosts and such a cool place to spend a couple hours exploring in! Very happy we picked this! Definitely wished we would have found more secret spots but happy with what we did on the first go round!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2018

We had a great time wandering thru the mansion in search of secret doors. The staff was welcoming and happy to answer any questions we had. Otherwise, we were left to our own devices to explore and have a good time. Great!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank lilfrisky8
Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

After all the usual museums and government buildings, this was a refreshing place we stumbled upon. We did the super sleuth scavenger hunt, and as two young-at-heart adults, we had a great time. Amazingly, the host of "the mansion" greeted us and gave us a warm welcome and detailed orientation. He also told us interesting stories of things that took place or famous guests who have visited there. We had fun finding the secret doors and the hidden items on our list. (Helpful note: for a door to count as a secret door, it doesn't have to be a traditional room-to-room entry, but could be high up in the wall with other purposes.) The rooms are filled with hundreds of frames, items, and tchotchkes. While the mansion was definitely not my taste in look or decor, it was great fun to explore.

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 21 January 2018

One of a kind hidden gem. We went for a group lunch. The lunch was great, but wandering through the house was even better. We wandered about and found a lot of the doors. Be sure to check out the wine cellar off of the kitchen

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends